Help - camel shooting

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Help - camel shooting

Post by juststarting » 17 Feb 2018, 11:52 pm

Thanks, Rifle realist. I think a few DMs may be coming your way soon :)
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 17 Feb 2018, 11:54 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
AusTac wrote:Jesus JS your going to need a bigger rifle :lol:

He might be OK. He could use that cheap, shirty single barrel 45-70. Crap accuracy but if he can get within 30 meters it might do the job. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :allegedly:

Bravo, bravo, nice try, but nope, you can't have it :)
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Feb 2018, 8:12 pm

juststarting wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:
AusTac wrote:Jesus JS your going to need a bigger rifle :lol:

He might be OK. He could use that cheap, shirty single barrel 45-70. Crap accuracy but if he can get within 30 meters it might do the job. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :allegedly:

Bravo, bravo, nice try, but nope, you can't have it :)

Bugger :violin:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Squiddy » 27 Feb 2018, 4:57 pm

Just saw this thread, been off the forum for 12 months. Used to work out in the Great Victorian Desert for a mining company, there are a ridiculous amount of Camels around Laverton and North East of Kalgoorlie towards Plumridge Lakes. The only issue is access - this is one of the most remote parts of Australia and you really need a 4WD kitted with all the breakout gear for sand and free wheeling hubs, not to mention equipment. I used to work in Exploration so we had our own food, water, fuel, sat comms gear and medical supplies.

I used to see professional shooters out there from time to time with portable cool rooms to take back dog meat. I've attached some pics from around 2011, you probably wouldn't get closer than 75m on a good day. They're bigger than the photos make them appear too!
Attachments
205628_10150153003318157_5647964_n.jpg
205628_10150153003318157_5647964_n.jpg (95.84 KiB) Viewed 9820 times
216232_10150153002938157_4535858_n.jpg
216232_10150153002938157_4535858_n.jpg (89.94 KiB) Viewed 9820 times
222075_10150153003243157_7207127_n.jpg
222075_10150153003243157_7207127_n.jpg (151.69 KiB) Viewed 9820 times
Squiddy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by flashman » 28 Dec 2020, 8:38 am

Only one question ...........wheres the other hump...????????????LOL
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 28 Dec 2020, 3:25 pm

Cool pic s
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 28 Dec 2020, 6:02 pm

Head shots just about anything from .243 up will do. Body shots I am inclined to say heavier is better - minimum of .308 with good bullets.

While pro shooters and those with experience can drop them with a .222 its not something I would recommend to those with little or no experience.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by boingk » 30 Dec 2020, 5:44 pm

Sounds like another candidate for the good old 45-70!

I wouldn't mind having a crack, and out here in far West NSW I'm probably not too far away either.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Robin » 31 Dec 2020, 9:46 am

brett1868 wrote:The only part of a camel that appeals to me is the toe....

mmm Camel Toes, would only shoot that with a 7incher
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Skinna » 31 Dec 2020, 10:32 am

Robin wrote:
brett1868 wrote:The only part of a camel that appeals to me is the toe....

mmm Camel Toes, would only shoot that with a 7incher

So YOU are the guy in that joke...!!
:lol:
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 31 Dec 2020, 11:56 am

U can buy camel meat designated for human consumption from some butchers
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 02 Jan 2021, 11:21 am

I watched a show (can’t remember name now) on YouTube talking about camels, apparently they are really nice eating. In this show old mate BBQ up some camel and the punters thought it was good beef. Would love to have a go at them and see.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Tiger650 » 06 Jan 2021, 2:54 pm

I once heard that T.E. Lawrence [Lawrence of Arabia] was riding into battle on a camel, blazing away at the Turk with a .445" Webley when the camel's head got between the Turk and the muzzle of the Webley.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 06 Jan 2021, 8:07 pm

This an old map of properties around the Simpson . Maybe Macumba area is now a National park .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JohnV » 06 Jan 2021, 8:23 pm

Tiger650 wrote:I once heard that T.E. Lawrence [Lawrence of Arabia] was riding into battle on a camel, blazing away at the Turk with a .445" Webley when the camel's head got between the Turk and the muzzle of the Webley.

My father always said he was a good friend of TE Lawrence back in England . I took it with a grain of salt . But after his death i was going through all his old photos and found one of a guy in a boxing stance in a garden of a house and looked like he was training . I nearly put it thorough the shredder because had no clue who it was . But something tweaked in my brain and it seemed important . Then the hairline and face hit me like a sledge hammer who it was . I have since positively identified it as TE Lawrence when he was fairly young , without the slicked down hair of all the press photos .
This was a personal photo taken privately on a small old fashion camera almost sepia in colour .
Under very close examination of the back of the photo under magnification and ultraviolet light you can just make out , For Doug , or To Doug . That was my fathers name but you can't see it with the naked eye . A professional photographer picked that up . Unfortunately I can't post the photo as it's a rare photo and I'm not giving it away .
When they first made the film Lawrence of Arabia my dad said that he was not killed on a JAP motorbike it was a Brough Superior . He was right .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigrich » 08 Jan 2021, 5:19 am

JohnV wrote:
Tiger650 wrote:I once heard that T.E. Lawrence [Lawrence of Arabia] was riding into battle on a camel, blazing away at the Turk with a .445" Webley when the camel's head got between the Turk and the muzzle of the Webley.

My father always said he was a good friend of TE Lawrence back in England . I took it with a grain of salt . But after his death i was going through all his old photos and found one of a guy in a boxing stance in a garden of a house and looked like he was training . I nearly put it thorough the shredder because had no clue who it was . But something tweaked in my brain and it seemed important . Then the hairline and face hit me like a sledge hammer who it was . I have since positively identified it as TE Lawrence when he was fairly young , without the slicked down hair of all the press photos .
This was a personal photo taken privately on a small old fashion camera almost sepia in colour .
Under very close examination of the back of the photo under magnification and ultraviolet light you can just make out , For Doug , or To Doug . That was my fathers name but you can't see it with the naked eye . A professional photographer picked that up . Unfortunately I can't post the photo as it's a rare photo and I'm not giving it away .
When they first made the film Lawrence of Arabia my dad said that he was not killed on a JAP motorbike it was a Brough Superior . He was right .

wonderful piece of history . T.E Lawrence's life makes for a interesting read . sadly people like him are lost to modern times :cry:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 08 Jan 2021, 10:31 am

Yeah a very interesting person . Now I believe the stories my dad told me . One thing he told me about TE Lawrence was that even though he was a small man he was very strong and fit and had a very determined tough nature which is born out in his exploits .
Another thing he told me was even though he was offered a lot of wealth and even land in Arabia for his assistance to the Arabs he never took anything and lived in England quite humbly .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JohnV » 09 Feb 2021, 9:00 am

I have never shot a Camel but my Brother-inlaw has shot quite a few when he was a Manager of a road house near Ceduna SA .
He only used a 222 and hit them in the head or neck . I guess that's ok if you can get close enough .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Tiger650 » 09 Feb 2021, 9:17 am

Lawrence did die whilst riding a Brough, the Brough almost certainly fitted with a JAP [ J.A Prestwich ] engine.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 09 Feb 2021, 9:25 am

Tiger650 wrote:Lawrence did die whilst riding a Brough, the Brough almost certainly fitted with a JAP [ J.A Prestwich ] engine.

That's not what I was told it was a Brough Superior no Jap engine mentioned .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Bugman » 09 Feb 2021, 3:03 pm

Never shot a camel.....but smoked one once.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 09 Feb 2021, 7:09 pm

Bugman wrote:Never shot a camel.....but smoked one once.

maybe you should see if they do camel flavour in a vape ......... ;)
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Tiger650 » 11 Feb 2021, 9:56 am

JohnV wrote:
Tiger650 wrote:Lawrence did die whilst riding a Brough, the Brough almost certainly fitted with a JAP [ J.A Prestwich ] engine.

That's not what I was told it was a Brough Superior no Jap engine mentioned .

Brough did not make their own engines.
Given the time of Lawrence's death it was probably a JAP engine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brough_Superior_SS100
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 11 Feb 2021, 10:39 am

I will take your word on that as JAP engines were never mentioned to me . My father was not a motor cycle person so he probably did not know the difference and neither did I at the time .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey