Handgun hunting in Australia?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Handgun hunting in Australia?

Post by Ariat » 14 Feb 2018, 1:56 pm

They do some fair canons for hand gun hunting in the US, I was just wondering was this ever a thing in Australia or did it never really take off?

(Or maybe the laws beat us to it :unknown:)
Ariat
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Handgun hunting in Australia?

Post by YoungBuck » 14 Feb 2018, 2:29 pm

Personally I don't understand hunting with a handgun. I don't know why you'd do it.
I just wish they would allow handgun usage - even just 22lr for humane hunting kills. Had this happen over the weekend, fox I shot didn't quite keel over from my first shot and had to put another 243 round in him to put him down... .22 cal pistol would be perfect for that sort of thing.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Archie » 14 Feb 2018, 2:50 pm

YoungBuck wrote:Personally I don't understand hunting with a handgun. I don't know why you'd do it.

After that thing two years ago with the guy in the US hunting a bear with a spear... I've ceased to ask why people do things. But, I'd love an allowable .22lr pistol for pigeons.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 14 Feb 2018, 2:57 pm

Great for bears and big angry stuff in the US if your just out for a hike, they certainly make some wopper handguns out there
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by southeast varmiter » 14 Feb 2018, 3:05 pm

AusTac wrote:Great for bears and big angry stuff in the US if your just out for a hike, they certainly make some wopper handguns out there

When I was in US hiking with relative. Carried a 454 casuall. Only for bears or bobcats.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 14 Feb 2018, 3:07 pm

YoungBuck wrote:Personally I don't understand hunting with a handgun. I don't know why you'd do it.
I just wish they would allow handgun usage - even just 22lr for humane hunting kills. Had this happen over the weekend, fox I shot didn't quite keel over from my first shot and had to put another 243 round in him to put him down... .22 cal pistol would be perfect for that sort of thing.

For the challenge, like going spear fishing or bow hunting and there's plenty of seriously powerful and accurate hand guns on the market. Much easier to holster a pistol in the bush then to lug around a heavy rifle :D
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 14 Feb 2018, 5:20 pm

Handgun hunting was allowed in Qld some time back, used to be a tour operator that ran guided hunts. Hasn't been allowed anywhere else for about a century.

Hey Youngbuck, why you would do it is because it is hunting, and it takes a hell of a lot more hunting skills to hunt successfully with a handgun. I used to hunt pigs with a knife, no guns, no dogs, just a knife. It took finely honed hunting skill to stalk close enough to make a charge, grab your prey, and kill it quickly. Many people like this type of hunting. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Stix » 14 Feb 2018, 7:22 pm

Hey YB...
I kind of agree with you--hunting with only a handgun would be a bit strange...
But i would carry one ALL THE TIME if it were legal...
Purely for humane dispatch of wounded animals... (to be honest id love to give those close bunnys in the spotlight a crack too...!!!)
I also know of some old blokes that like to chase bunnies the old school way...one ior two of them still go out alone (which is a worry as they are getting on) & i believe they should be able to carry a pistol in case they encounter a fox that is not particularly happy...in this case that is the only firearm they would carry if it were legal...!!

As for putting a fox down with your 243...
You should either carry a 22lr with you while spotlighting (thats mandatory for me)...&/or if you reload, carry some crap old brass 3/4's filled with trailboss with some old projies seated in the case...
That will do for safe close range put-downs...

Cheers
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 14 Feb 2018, 7:31 pm

Ariat wrote:They do some fair canons for hand gun hunting in the US, I was just wondering was this ever a thing in Australia or did it never really take off?

(Or maybe the laws beat us to it :unknown:)

Im no expert mate, but i would imagine it never took off because of the game we have--or have mostly had over time...
We've not had bears & the like (other than the drop type ones-but im yet to see one of them stuffed & mounted)...

Just my guess...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Lifesaride » 14 Feb 2018, 7:58 pm

I got bailed up by 2 big Shepard cross wild dogs about 2 years ago while fixing fences. Luckily the rifles were safely locked away in the gun safe as I was just having a quick check before heading off one day. I don’t leave the house without it these days. But it did make me think at maybe 10m, a side arm is a hell of a lot easier to get a shot away than a long arm, but luckily around that time Qld stopped renewing and approving handgun licences for primary producers.

Guess I’ll just call the police to come next time.
Lifesaride
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 15 Feb 2018, 2:11 am

Here in the USA, handgun hunting is somewhat of a niche thing. Also depends on the laws of the state, some states I would guess would not allow it. It is considered more of a challenge of course. Some of the handguns are single shot with a scope and chambered for rifle rounds like .308 Win and .223 Rem. The Thompson Contender is probably the main player in that market. Some also hunt with scoped revolvers chambered in your standard magnum carts. There are also some that use target models in 22LR to hunt pests like squirrels.

When I had my black bear incident, I had a Glock 17 9mm on me. Fortunately for the bear I was able to get away and not use it, but after seeing the teeth bared for real, I have a 357 Magnum and would like to get a 10mm Sig Sauer or Glock.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wrenchman » 15 Feb 2018, 2:51 am

i have shot deer with a 357 i like to keep the shots uner 30 yards i carry a gun when out it could be any typ i had feral dogs attack me two times if i am not hunting its my 357.
a few years back i was hunting in kuntucky i had a rottweiler was giveing me a ruff time i didnt shot him becouse he looked like he was taken care of and not feral and i didnt want to screw my hunt up when i come in from hunting the guy down the road came by and told my dad he had a rottweiler get in his chicken coop and kill them all i still fill bad for not shooting it now
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Daddybang » 15 Feb 2018, 7:18 am

No1Mk3 wrote:Handgun hunting was allowed in Qld some time back, used to be a tour operator that ran guided hunts. Hasn't been allowed anywhere else for about a century.

Hey Youngbuck, why you would do it is because it is hunting, and it takes a hell of a lot more hunting skills to hunt successfully with a handgun. I used to hunt pigs with a knife, no guns, no dogs, just a knife. It took finely honed hunting skill to stalk close enough to make a charge, grab your prey, and kill it quickly. Many people like this type of hunting. Cheers.

This brings back memories of my younger(and dumber) days. Trying to grab the back legs to roll the buggers and copping a trotter in the nose(only time my nose has been broken) !!! :lol: :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 15 Feb 2018, 10:21 am

IMO there would be to many wounded animals and firearm incidences if this were aloud, :thumbsdown:
might be a bit of fun but I don't think handgun hunting should be aloud IMO
to many cowboys that cant really hunt :lol: :sarcasm: :allegedly: :wtf:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 15 Feb 2018, 11:23 am

This is a pet subject for me.The Safari operator I hunted with in the NT had a 6 shot single action .22LR and it was great fun for plinking with he has handed it in now also the pro croc shooter in Darwin had to hand his in at the same time and I am not sure he is still in business,It is a quandry that LAFO should be able to field shoot with handguns however some of the people I have seen with our drug culture I do not wish to have access to handguns.I would like a pair of Ruger Blackhawks in 44 Mag because my privates are size challenged
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by brett1868 » 15 Feb 2018, 12:15 pm

Either of these will drop a Grizzly and should be more then enough to drop any game in Aus out to 100m.

45-70 Govt & 460XVR
IMG_4077.jpg
IMG_4077.jpg (137.55 KiB) Viewed 8111 times
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 15 Feb 2018, 12:44 pm

ruger super blackhawk.jpg
2 of these will do me
ruger super blackhawk.jpg (45.34 KiB) Viewed 8105 times
ruger super blackhawk.jpg
2 of these will do me
ruger super blackhawk.jpg (45.34 KiB) Viewed 8105 times
I would be happy with this brace in 44 Magnum
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Daddybang » 15 Feb 2018, 12:49 pm

brett1868 wrote:Either of these will drop a Grizzly and should be more then enough to drop any game in Aus out to 100m.

45-70 Govt & 460XVR
IMG_4077.jpg

Every time ya post a photo of the 45/70 I get a chubby!!
Is there something wrong with me :unknown: :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 15 Feb 2018, 1:07 pm

Daddybang wrote:
brett1868 wrote:Either of these will drop a Grizzly and should be more then enough to drop any game in Aus out to 100m.

45-70 Govt & 460XVR
IMG_4077.jpg

Every time ya post a photo of the 45/70 I get a chubby!!
Is there something wrong with me :unknown: :lol: :drinks:

Nothing that can't be cured with massive doses of recoil therapy. Wylie27 and myself seek therapy at least 1-2 times per week just to maintain good mental health :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by LNK » 18 Feb 2024, 11:25 pm

It's no wonder millions of people want to go to the USA. It's the only place left that people can actually be citizens. All other countries have to do to keep their smart people and end the brain drain, is adopt the same constitution.
LNK
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Feb 2024, 11:42 pm

LNK wrote:It's no wonder millions of people want to go to the USA. It's the only place left that people can actually be citizens. All other countries have to do to keep their smart people and end the brain drain, is adopt the same constitution.

I consider parts of the US to have worse firearm laws than parts of OZ, it's not all nirvana.

What we need is a real government instead of the corrupt mess we have here that we've developed for decades into something that is almost unbreakable.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 19 Feb 2024, 7:08 am

I dont believe it was ever a thing which was probably a good thing. Handguns are next level when it come down to dangerous handling and use and we could of ended up with even more draconian laws as I am sure the accidents and injuries would have been a trigger to the population.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by No1Mk3 » 19 Feb 2024, 9:23 am

Larry wrote:I dont believe it was ever a thing which was probably a good thing. Handguns are next level when it come down to dangerous handling and use and we could of ended up with even more draconian laws as I am sure the accidents and injuries would have been a trigger to the population.

It was, in Queensland and the NT. Data from the US strongly suggest handgun hunting is safer than rifle hunting due to the types of game commonly shot and the closer ranges allowing more positive identification of larger species ie: Deer & Bear. I don't believe handguns, in use by experienced shooters who are required to use them often, are any more dangerous than rifles in the hands of casuals. Most firearm injuries would appear to be from occasional hunters rather than those who hunt often. Hunting in the US, with all types of weapons, longarms, both cartridge and muzzle loaders, handguns, bow, crossbow, is still the 2nd safest sporting activity after Billiards with the overwhelming majority of hunting accidents being falling out of trees, ( 3 to 500 vs 100 with firearms).
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 19 Feb 2024, 10:04 am

Larry wrote:I dont believe it was ever a thing which was probably a good thing. Handguns are next level when it come down to dangerous handling and use and we could of ended up with even more draconian laws as I am sure the accidents and injuries would have been a trigger to the population.

If a handgun is properly holstered there is very little likelihood of any kind of accident, unlike a rifle being carried or slung. Handguns are more easily swept across targets that should not be targeted but it doesn't take a great amount of training to learn to avoid that. I doubt handguns would be any more dangerous in a hunting environment than longarms, in fact, they'd probably be safer because of the way they are being carried. Remember that we already have many thousands of Police officers walking around densely populated areas while carrying handguns, for decades now, with virtually zero accidents occurring.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 19 Feb 2024, 11:35 am

As long as they stay off the dance floor. I saw a YouTube vid couple of days ago comparing a 454 casul from a revolver to a bushmaster shot from a rifle. It was shooting big clay blocks. The bushmaster pulled up in the second block. The casul destroyed all three blocks and then passed thu the backstop as well. The casul must b a beast of a thing .. but I guess velocity and bullet construction must have played a part as well.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey