Tasmanian Deer Season Opening

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Tasmanian Deer Season Opening

Post by Gwion » 19 Feb 2018, 6:52 pm

Yep. It's that time of year again. 24 Feb is Fallow Deer Season Opening!

This Saturday, 24 Feb 2018, Sheffield Rifle Club is holding a sight in session for hunters who want to be sure of their zeros before heading out to bag a fallow.

Maybe you've got a new scope this season or maybe you are trying different ammo. Here's your chance to dial it all in before you head out as it's always a good idea to confirm your sights before a hunt.

We will have a session at 100yds to dial in and then throw a few down range at 300yd so you can test your drop if you plan to take those intermediate range shots.

After the sight in we will throw a few snags on the barbie, have a bit of a yack and then settle down to shoot a detail of F-Class Hunter/Varmint Division.

If you would like to give the F-Class Hunter/Varmint a go the detail is 2 rounds at 300yds comprising of 2 sighters and the 10 scoring shots. You don't have to shoot the whole detail but might find it fun to have a go.

If you are interested, email us on sheffield.rifles@gmail.com

Cheers and good luck with the hunt!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Re: Tasmanian Deer Season Opening

Post by Tripod » 19 Feb 2018, 10:15 pm

I think most people will be hunting that day, Maybe a week earlier would work better in future.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 20 Feb 2018, 3:37 am

Yeah. I said that to the Secretary but it's still worth doing. Not everyone can get out for the opening.

We did have anoither one two weeks ago but el'secretario didn't really promote it so only 2 peoole showed up besides us usuals. Hence, i thought I'd put a notice here just in case.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bear foot bowhunter » 12 Mar 2018, 11:20 am

Where do most people hunt in taz ? Do meany have luck on the state forest ext.? I could be moving there next year and love to have an idea as to whats availible beforehand
bear foot bowhunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 12 Mar 2018, 11:24 am

There is a ballot system for some areas and you can shoot state forrests with permission. Most people i know hunt on private land.

You will be interested to know that bow hunting is not allowed in Tas.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Mar 2018, 11:34 am

Gwion wrote:You will be interested to know that bow hunting is not allowed in Tas.

Confused Stan Laurel.jpeg
Confused Stan Laurel.jpeg (47.64 KiB) Viewed 5732 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 12 Mar 2018, 11:48 am

Oldbloke wrote:
Gwion wrote:You will be interested to know that bow hunting is not allowed in Tas.

Confused Stan Laurel.jpeg

+1 what's the reasoning behind that? :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 12 Mar 2018, 11:51 am

Who knows??? :unknown:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bear foot bowhunter » 12 Mar 2018, 1:04 pm

You will be interested to know that bow hunting is not allowed in Tas.[/quote]

isnt it just for deer tho you can still hunt pigs , rabits , foxes ext.
bear foot bowhunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Mar 2018, 1:33 pm

Have the stags started grunting yet out your way?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 12 Mar 2018, 1:51 pm

Haven't heard any, OB but the dog and i spooked a doe while taking the scenic route down to the creek for a 'fish'. Inverted commas because this dog and fishing don't mix.
Good spot for deer, though. About half way from my place to the front gate... maybe i should buy a tag...
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 12 Mar 2018, 1:53 pm

bear foot bowhunter wrote:You will be interested to know that bow hunting is not allowed in Tas.

isnt it just for deer tho you can still hunt pigs , rabits , foxes ext.[/quote]

Pretty sure it is a blanket rule but you'd have to check to be sure.
You'll find bunnies and hares but good luck finding a pig or a fox.....
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Mar 2018, 2:45 pm

Friday and Saturday went out to my usual area. Didn't hear any and they seem to have moved. Couldn't find any sign at all.

:wtf:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 12 Mar 2018, 3:30 pm

That's a bit of a bugger, OB.
Maybe it's been gettong too much pressure and you have to go a bit further off the usual track???
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Mar 2018, 4:10 pm

Gwion wrote:That's a bit of a bugger, OB.
Maybe it's been gettong too much pressure

Would not surprise me. Not far from a town. Will go back in two weeks with luck. Check out the new camera.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 18 Mar 2018, 10:37 am

Bagged a really nice Doe a couple of days back on private property, but spent quite a while tracking them through heavy scrub and hills outside Bothwell on the southern highlands. Dressed out to around 50 lbs, but felt a lot heavier than that after I'd carried the carcass a mile and a half over my shoulders back to camp. One shot from my 25 cal wildcat rifle offhand mid leap at a paced out 90 yards. Talked to couple of blokes with 30 cal magnums just a few days earlier who lost their stag after a supposedly solid hit at very close range, although they said their rifles were "sighted in for 300". Seems the magnum mentality is still alive and well around here, although it continually baffles me why anybody would want anything heavier than a 270 or 25.06 for such a light animal. One fellow last year actually told me he had bought a 300 Win Mag for "1000 metre shots in the highlands"???? Anyone who can hit a fallow at that range deserves to be in the Olympics Shooting team
Member-Deleted

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Mar 2018, 11:01 am

aradoar234 wrote: One fellow last year actually told me he had bought a 300 Win Mag for "1000 metre shots in the highlands"???? Anyone who can hit a fallow at that range deserves to be in the Olympics Shooting team

Bullshit.jpg
Bullshit.jpg (25.04 KiB) Viewed 5647 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 18 Mar 2018, 12:39 pm

aradoar234 wrote:Bagged a really nice Doe a couple of days back on private property, but spent quite a while tracking them through heavy scrub and hills outside Bothwell on the southern highlands. Dressed out to around 50 lbs, but felt a lot heavier than that after I'd carried the carcass a mile and a half over my shoulders back to camp. One shot from my 25 cal wildcat rifle offhand mid leap at a paced out 90 yards.

Well done on the doe mate...!! :thumbsup: post a pic if you got one...

aradoar234 wrote:Seems the magnum mentality is still alive and well around here, although it continually baffles me why anybody would want anything heavier than a 270 or 25.06 for such a light animal. One fellow last year actually told me he had bought a 300 Win Mag for "1000 metre shots in the highlands"????

Gees aradoar dont you know anything...??!!...obviously this guys rangefinder bends light to see over hill tops & his projectiles have laser guided capabilities with cyber intelligent foliage avoiding algorithms...

These guys are just real cool doods that know their stuff man...& they are playing in some alternate reality pretending they're caught somewhere between the movie rambo & a taliban assault...
Its always interesting to see these guys shoot after hearing their wild claims of super sniper ability--cos most of the time they couldnt shoot a pattern board at 15 paces with a shotty...!!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Big Buck » 20 Mar 2018, 10:39 am

I filled my antlerless tags this week as well, two does in two afternoons and passed up a young buck one morning. Shot with my 30-06, my usual doe rifle is my Ruger 25-06. But the 30-06 hadn't been used for a couple of years, so she got a run.
Big Buck
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey