Tanning/Initial Tanning Prep...

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Tanning/Initial Tanning Prep...

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Feb 2018, 8:45 pm

Here it is.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3639

I have only tried it once, just recently on a fox tail to try it. It seemed to work OK. Next skin goes in. :thumbsup:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 21 Feb 2018, 6:19 pm

Thanks OB...!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Feb 2018, 7:34 am

That's OK let us know how it goes.

Looks to me the fleshing is the hardest part.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 22 Feb 2018, 7:44 am

I am using the Gerni or equiv and getting good results on Roo skins also on dear could never have done that by hand. I dont know how they did it. I think there is some information that has not been handed down in that area. The old blokes kept it a trade secret and it has gone to the grave.

When I was a kid I was doing Rabbits and reading books on how to do it and finally found one that gave the instructions that prepared the membrane to a point where it could be peeled off rather than scraped. I have forgotten how to do it though.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Daddybang » 22 Feb 2018, 7:52 am

We used a small orbital sander to flesh . probably not good for rabbit and thinner skins but works for the thicker ones!! :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 22 Feb 2018, 10:03 am

Daddybang wrote:Pm sent :drinks:

Hi Daddybang...if this was meant for me ive not received it mate...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 22 Feb 2018, 10:22 am

Not sure where that's gone. It's not in any of my folders! :lol: :lol:
Wasn't anything important just wanted to let ya know if ya wanted the first chapter of that book dealing with hide prep and tanning recipies I can scan and send it email or snail mail. No worries if ya don't want it :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 22 Feb 2018, 10:27 am

If you have the Alum salt recipe I would be interested. I have used one once or twice before and now after using the commercial product I am going to go back to trying that now I have some got better at some of the other steps
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Stix » 22 Feb 2018, 10:37 am

FFAAARKKK!!!
i just spent over 20 mins writing an update on this thread...pressed the wrong button on this stupid piece of sh#t samaung fone & its all gone...!!!
Im so angry--f@#k samsung...!!!!!

The c#@t of a fone updates itself & makes changes that makes the fone different & run much slower...
& im sick of google asking for permission to record data from my fone every time i post a pic...
These controlling A-holes...dam them...!!!!!

Gees man...
Sorry folks...i had to vent...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 22 Feb 2018, 10:42 am

Thanks daddybang...
Obviously i have issues with the technology too...!!!
Ive had many posts late last year not hit the airwaves for some reason, even after seeing the page saying "your message has been sucessfully sent"...so im sure its sometimes this site...

Re the book--yea it looks like a book id be keen to read, or even have on the shelf...

Scanned copy of those pages should be ok...
Ill pm you my email later...

Appreciate it mate...!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 22 Feb 2018, 10:44 am

Sungazer, ive found a couple of versions, ill pm a link to you a bit later...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 22 Feb 2018, 10:44 am

Hahaha!! I understand fully stix all I have at home is a Samsung phone :lol: :drinks:
Sungazer the book has several different recipes using alum and chromium and also sulphuric acid.if ya pm me an email I can get it scanned first thing tomorrow morning and send it all thru :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 22 Feb 2018, 11:39 am

Righto...deep breath & try again...

The day i salted it & started this thread, i ended up putting the salted skin in the freezer...

I did notice when folding it up, there was a fair bit of liquid run out the pelt through the bullet hole (entry right flank just behind shoulder-no exit).

The liquid, a pink colour very similar to what people mistake for "blood" that seeps from a rare cooked steak when resting, had run out onto the table & 'wetted' a fair chunk of fur (probably a good 5" patch).
You can see the pink colour under the salt in this pic...
2018-02-22 10.30.30.jpg
Moggie may
2018-02-22 10.30.30.jpg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 7703 times

From memory on a youtube vid a yank did, he mentions the pink colour under the salt on his hides is a bacteria, & he wasnt too worried about it, however im guessing unlike this pelt, his weren't left for 36+hrs before being salted.

Im assuming this is the bacteria that will make the fur slip, so i hold grave fears this pelt is ruined.
This pink colour was not at all on the skin when i pulled it out of the fridge to salt it, so if it is the bacteria, its multiplied at an unbelievable rate once out of the fridge.

I was going to buy a decent tanning kit, but given i may loose the fur, ill do this one the cheap way...

Ive managed to track down this "alum" stuff at bunnings so ill give it a crack.

Its a shame i wasnt better organised with salt, because this fur really is unbelievable to touch...as soft, if not softer than a baby bunny...
And in my tiredness at 2.30am when skinning the mog, ive missed some of the back left leg...
Ah well...see how it goes...

So im going to buy a 20kg bag & container of finer table salt & leave them on each farm from now on...

Cheers
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Feb 2018, 2:36 pm

"So im going to buy a 20kg bag & container of finer table salt & leave them on each farm from now on.."

My understanding is the finer grades of salt are better. But the coarse will do the job if that's all you have.

The pink MAY be the same algae that often grows in salt lakes. Only way to tell though would be a microscope. It's a primitive type of plant. Only time will tell.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 22 Feb 2018, 3:44 pm

Oldbloke wrote:"So im going to buy a 20kg bag & container of finer table salt & leave them on each farm from now on.."

My understanding is the finer grades of salt are better. But the coarse will do the job if that's all you have.

I brought a big bag of coarse salt (cause I'm a tightarse :lol: ) and used a mortar and pestle to grind it up. A good job to do whilst havin a coldie! :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Feb 2018, 4:41 pm

" I brought a big bag of coarse salt (cause I'm a tightarse :lol: ) and used a mortar and pestle to grind it up. A good job to do whilst havin a coldie! :lol: :drinks:

Why not. Good excuse for a beer. I'll remember that.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 22 Feb 2018, 4:44 pm

Daddybang wrote:We did that kid by scraping when it was fresh.
Pinned it out flesh side up.
Scraped as much flesh off as we could(paint scraper worked)
Then applied a thick layer of salt (as sungazer said)
Left it pinned out in a shady spot for a week reapply salt everyday (just over the old)
Then scraped most of the salt off before dropping in the tanning solution.
Hope this helps ya stix. :drinks:

I did the same, except I used alum powder. I have no idea why so I guess I was working from somebody else's advice :-)
Never had any knocked back from the place I was selling them to though so it must've worked okay. I did keep a couple for a few years but they disappeared when I moved to WA.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 22 Feb 2018, 5:56 pm

Oldbloke wrote:"So im going to buy a 20kg bag & container of finer table salt & leave them on each farm from now on.."

The pink MAY be the same algae that often grows in salt lakes. Only way to tell though would be a microscope. It's a primitive type of plant. Only time will tell.

The reason for the coarse stuff OB is because im like Daddybang...a tightarse...!!!...a 20kg bag for niks mate...

As i said, ill also have a container of the finer stuff on hand...
I gave this one a sprinkle of fine salt, & used it around the edges & head to ensure contact it the tight spots... :)
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 22 Feb 2018, 5:58 pm

Daddybang wrote:

I brought a big bag of coarse salt (cause I'm a tightarse :lol: ) and used a mortar and pestle to grind it up. A good job to do whilst havin a coldie! :lol: :drinks:

Think ill have to come on up there DB...id love a lifestyle where i had time to buy cheap salt & crush it in small amounts while drinking beer... :drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 22 Feb 2018, 6:15 pm

Hey blade there's been a few of the fellas that have suggested the alum so I'll have to give it a go :thumbsup: I've just started a heap of messmate gum bark steeping to extract the tannin so that will be interesting to see if it works! :drinks:

Stix it's a hell of a lifestyle up this way. We like to call it "runnin on cape time" :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 22 Feb 2018, 6:24 pm

bladeracer wrote:I did the same, except I used alum powder. I have no idea why so I guess I was working from somebody else's advice :-)
Never had any knocked back from the place I was selling them to though so it must've worked okay. I did keep a couple for a few years but they disappeared when I moved to WA.

Thinking about it now I think the buyers advised me how they wanted the skins treated. I can remember wandering around a number of places to find out how to make a return on the foxes I was shooting. I think the place I was selling to was in Murray Bridge, although I was dealing with a rep based in Strathalbyn most of the time.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 23 Feb 2018, 11:58 am

Hey sungazer and old bloke I sent the emails thru this morning hope they are of use fellas :D :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 23 Feb 2018, 1:29 pm

Thanks got it. I was just having a look in a book I have. All pretty old formulas as well most are paste based using Alum salt and or acids. The only one that is a pure liquid where you can just put the hide in says it will leave the hide much more firm, crisp and will need more breaking in.
Not sure what I will have a go at next. I do prefer the easy way I have certainly got a lot lazier than our fore fathers. :D
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Stix » 23 Feb 2018, 3:24 pm

Daddybang wrote:Hey sungazer and old bloke I sent the emails thru this morning hope they are of use fellas :D :drinks:

Hey Daddybang...i finally remembered to PM my email to you...any chance you can send that stuff through this way too...? :unknown: :)
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 23 Feb 2018, 4:42 pm

Just emailed ya stix :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 23 Feb 2018, 5:32 pm

Hey Oldbloke...

I just noticed your recipe on this thread...
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9067&start=18

You have said the powdered parts are in "pounds", ive found 2 other similar recipes on the net that for similar volume of water say the powdered volumes in "cups"...

This is a HUGE difference,...have you used this/either of these recipes mate...?

Or anyone else for that matter...???
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Feb 2018, 7:42 pm

Stix wrote:Hey Oldbloke...

I just noticed your recipe on this thread...
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9067&start=18

You have said the powdered parts are in "pounds", ive found 2 other similar recipes on the net that for similar volume of water say the powdered volumes in "cups"...

This is a HUGE difference,...have you used this/either of these recipes mate...?

Or anyone else for that matter...???

I just converted the pounds and gallons to kgs and litres. You quickly come up with some recipes /ratios. And bobs your uncle. I would post it but I'm not home for a few days and it's on my laptop.
As I said earlier, just did a small test on a fox tail.
Skinned it.
Salted for a few days (didn't flesh it)
In the alum/salt solution for about five dsys
Dried it out by hanging on the line
Oiled it with neatsfoot oil.

Seemed to come up OK & gave to my grand daughter who had been pestering me.

Next chance I get going to go a full skin.

I'll post the converted recipes late next week. Alum and salt is cheap and easy that's why I tried it.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 23 Feb 2018, 8:07 pm

Thanks OB...
But are you sure you dissolved 2kg's of alum in 3-4 litres of water...?

All other recipes i can find say 1-2.5 CUPS of alum in 3-4 ltrs of water...

???
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Feb 2018, 8:31 am

Stix wrote:Thanks OB...
But are you sure you dissolved 2kg's of alum in 3-4 litres of water...?

All other recipes i can find say 1-2.5 CUPS of alum in 3-4 ltrs of water...

???

Nowhere near that! May be 200 grams of alum
https://www.fieldandstream.com/how-to-tan-a-deer-hide
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Feb 2018, 8:53 am

So assuming you want to make 1 gallon. So just divide everything by 4 and convert.

Water. 1 gallon = about. 4 litres water
Salt. 2.5 lb div x 4 = .6lb = 270 grams of salt
Alum. 1 lb div x 4 =.25lb = 115 grams of alum

US and English gallons are not the same. UK is a bit over 4 litres & US under 4 litres . So 4 is near enough. If you want make salt 300g and alum 130g. I figure stronger better than weaker solution.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control