Tanning/Initial Tanning Prep...

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Tanning/Initial Tanning Prep...

Post by Stix » 19 Nov 2018, 11:09 pm

2018-11-19 23.01.29.jpg
2018-11-19 23.01.29.jpg (578.21 KiB) Viewed 183 times

Fleshed out my first goat skin this evening.

For the most part it seemed to flesh out pretty easy & leave a nice smooth finish...much like a squid tube & very similar to the cats ive done so far.

There were a few difficult areas, but thats all down to the wuality of my skinning job--im not too good at it... :oops: ah well.
2018-11-19 22.57.31.jpg
2018-11-19 22.57.31.jpg (439.19 KiB) Viewed 183 times

Rekon it might turn out ok... but time will tell..fingers crossed...
Attachments
2018-11-19 22.57.16.jpg
2018-11-19 22.57.16.jpg (408.04 KiB) Viewed 183 times
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 20 Nov 2018, 10:13 am

great work Stix :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:
marksman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 13 Jan 2019, 10:06 pm

Well that goat skin above turned out a cracker so im stoked. :clap: i want more goat skins now...!!!

Here is a few of the latest ive been trying to turn out over the last few days...

2019-01-13 22.14.39.jpg
Some of my latest furs
2019-01-13 22.14.39.jpg (516.79 KiB) Viewed 121 times

Although the cat looks small in this pic, its your average size moggie & infact the rabbits are quite sizable...!
The top 3 are furry hoppy critters...left is the fur of a milky doe, a bit on the thin side & a bit skanky aa they use all their energy into producing milk...but all in all pretty reasonable result considering.

On the right is a Port Adelaide Hare--a mate ran iver it at 1am one morning & rang me--it squeezed ok & appeared in tact so he bought it over & i dressed it out.

Its the first hare ive done & its pretty thin...you can see the holes ive put in it while fleshing.
Given how thin it is, its turned out pretty soft & supple.

The cat is a really great fur...!! Although ive put too much oil on it so i need to rectify that somehow.

The white one is a domestic bunny... :lol:
A mate helps out an old Italian couple that breed their own rabbits for food.
When he told me they asked him to slaughter them i kicked up a fuss about getting there to skin them out...
My fuss worked...!!
The fur is amazing & the leather is so supple its unbelievable... :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 14 Jan 2019, 8:51 am

They look like they've come up bloody nice Stix!! :thumbsup: :drinks:
We haven't done any for a while now but I've gotta do a killer up in a couple of weeks so I'm going to experiment with making saddle leather to make a saddle for my daughter's sixteenth bday..shes only four so plenty of time if I f@#kup the first couple of attempts!!
:lol: :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Stix » 14 Jan 2019, 9:53 am

Thanks DB... :drinks:
Im slowly getting better at the tanning side...its the skinning i suck at...!!
Shot another fox while away last week & ripped its tail in the skinning process...again... :roll:

Making your own leather & daughters saddle sounds a treat mate...!!
Thats something she'll keep & remember forever... :clap: :thumbsup:

I want to do plain leather as well, but i need to get a few roos for that--plenty of scrubbers down this way that could do with knocking over, but given the ones down here walk on 2 legs, ill have to wait till i knock some roos over with tags...!! :lol:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Previous

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control