Reverse skinning knife/hook - useful or a gimmick?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Reverse skinning knife/hook - useful or a gimmick?

Post by Norton » 01 Mar 2018, 11:49 am

I'm in the market for a new knife and have had one of these on the back burner of thoughts for a while.

Anyone used one?

Any better/different/worse/preferential to the regular guthook, or just a gimmick?

reverse-skinner.jpg
reverse-skinner.jpg (72.68 KiB) Viewed 2599 times
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Re: Reverse skinning knife/hook - useful or a gimmick?

Post by marksman » 01 Mar 2018, 12:58 pm

they have there place for gutting and not hitting the entrails ruining meat but for a universal hunting knife a guthook is the go IMO
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 01 Mar 2018, 1:29 pm

My cousin bought one, we havven't used it for much, found it was handy for gutting a rabbit without nicking the insides, but doesn't really save much time (if any) if you already know what you are doing with a traditional hunting knife.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 01 Mar 2018, 3:19 pm

I think it would be good for skinning. I have had very little luck with the gut hooks on the back of the blade. Many more times I have worked a knife up under the skin and then pulled outwards and upwards/downwards with the sharp part facing me. This looks like it would work similar to that method. Also with much more blade surface area it should stay sharper longer and be easier to sharpen. All that without ever using one so take it has purely hypothetical my opinion.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Gwion » 01 Mar 2018, 9:21 pm

If you are processing a number of animals then it is a good idea purely from a speed perspective. Having to carry an extra knife for one or two animals is kind of pointless. They are not for skinning. Just for quickly and cleanly unzipping the belly.
For basic use you can just use your 'hunting' knife and run your fingers behind the spine as you open it up. Don't get you fingers in front of the edge and keep the tip of the knife above the tips of your fingers.
That said. I do plan trying to make one this winter.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 01 Mar 2018, 9:25 pm

And i agree with Sungazer. Gut hooks are a gimmick. I've made a few and used others and they aren't as effective as i thought they would be. In fact, i won't make another knife with a gut hook.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey