Scout rifle ok for Sambar?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Scout rifle ok for Sambar?

Post by Plinker » 28 Mar 2018, 7:11 pm

Hey Guys, looking at a general purpose 308 rifle and looking for opinions/advice on whether the scout configuration will work for stalking sambar,

Cheers
Plinker
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Scout rifle ok for Sambar?

Post by bladeracer » 28 Mar 2018, 8:15 pm

Plinker wrote:Hey Guys, looking at a general purpose 308 rifle and looking for opinions/advice on whether the scout configuration will work for stalking sambar,

Cheers

What do you mean by "scout configuration" exactly?
Usually it just means a long eye relief scope mounted down the barrel. If that works for you then I can't see a problem.
Personally I can't work with a scout scope.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Plinker » 28 Mar 2018, 8:33 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Plinker wrote:Hey Guys, looking at a general purpose 308 rifle and looking for opinions/advice on whether the scout configuration will work for stalking sambar,

Cheers

What do you mean by "scout configuration" exactly?
Usually it just means a long eye relief scope mounted down the barrel. If that works for you then I can't see a problem.
Personally I can't work with a scout scope.

Looking at Savage Scout, yes would mean long eye relief scope mounted forward of the chamber. Want to get an idea whether there are any practical reasons this would be less than ideal for stalking sambar
Plinker
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Gun-nut » 28 Mar 2018, 9:38 pm

Scout rifle would be ideal for stalking sambar imo. Can't think of any reason as to why it wouldn't be besides personal preference.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Mar 2018, 9:57 pm

It's a 308. Will be fine if you can hit them in the boiler.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 28 Mar 2018, 10:12 pm

Savage scout (https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11Scout) in 308 - 7.8 pounds, 3.5kg - that's pretty heavy for stalking. Then add scope. Add ammo. You'll feel it. I'd 308 is very practical, but the rifle is not. You should aim for under 3kg for 'walking around hills' gun.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Mar 2018, 10:22 pm

juststarting wrote:Savage scout (https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11Scout) in 308 - 7.8 pounds, 3.5kg - that's pretty heavy for stalking. Then add scope. Add ammo. You'll feel it. I'd 308 is very practical, but the rifle is not. You should aim for under 3kg for 'walking around hills' gun.

Most rifles are about 7 to 8 lb. Some claim to be say 6.5.lb. but put them on some scales and see the real weight.

Go on a diet, like most of us need. :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 28 Mar 2018, 10:32 pm

No, not most. 30-06+ yes, but 308 - no. 7.8 pounds is not a stalking gun.

He said stalking. In VIC and you'd agree that's up and down the gullies for hours with rifle in hand. I have a Tikka T3 CTR in 308, when it was in factory stock - 3.4kg. Then add scope. I felt it and I am not exactly unfit. We are not talking just a diet here, but a full blown training routine for that weight lol. I hated it.

I then moved to Browning Composite Stalker which is very lite and I absolutely love it.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Mar 2018, 7:00 am

juststarting wrote:No, not most. 30-06+ yes, but 308 - no. 7.8 pounds is not a stalking gun.

He said stalking. In VIC and you'd agree that's up and down the gullies for hours with rifle in hand. I have a Tikka T3 CTR in 308, when it was in factory stock - 3.4kg. Then add scope. I felt it and I am not exactly unfit. We are not talking just a diet here, but a full blown training routine for that weight lol. I hated it.

I then moved to Browning Composite Stalker which is very lite and I absolutely love it.

Mine are 3006. So 308 would be a few ounces lighter I guess. But if you loose 1kg, it's less your carrying, right?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 29 Mar 2018, 7:06 am

True, true. But now you're trying to make the problem fit onto a solution ;)
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 29 Mar 2018, 7:20 am

I've had a look at this segment, the guide/scout rifles look awesome and seem to be getting popular in the us, usually short barrels heavy hitting calibres and some form of short range sight, if i wasen't getting a new gun in a few months i'd consider buying one for sure
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Mar 2018, 7:42 am

It's all about compromise. It's pretty hard to find a 3006 or 308 rifle much under 7lb. Then add scope. Bingo 8lb.

The lighter the rifle recoil, can become a problem. 90% of the weight is in the action and barrel. Go for peep sights if you want light weight. I did for a few years or maybe a reflex especially if you hunting in the thick s**t..

Yes bare 7.8lb is getting heavy though.

The other thing is if you read all the magazines they will have you carrying 5kg of junk u never use in a back pack.

We all want to carry less but the reality is its actually is easier to loose a few kg. Healthier too.

Way off topic now. :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Mar 2018, 8:33 am

juststarting wrote:No, not most. 30-06+ yes, but 308 - no. 7.8 pounds is not a stalking gun.

You wouldn't make a very good infantry men if you think 7lb is too heavy to cart around all day! :lol: HTFU! :sarcasm:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Mar 2018, 8:46 am

"You wouldn't make a very good infantry men if you think 7lb is too heavy to cart around all day! :lol: HTFU! "

But your right. Full wood 303s were used for years. They must be 10lb?

In essence I agree with JS, the lighter the better as long as your not recoil shy. What is too heavy, that's subjective. My Model 70 3006 and Marlin 3006 & Marlin 223 are all around 3.7 kg. Bugger all variation, perhaps 3 oz. (with scope)

Edit: corrected weights
Last edited by Oldbloke on 29 Mar 2018, 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by VICHunter » 29 Mar 2018, 9:27 am

.308 is a fine deer cartridge, put a 150gr or similar hunting projectile in there and bobs your uncle.

Whatever style rifle you want to get is really personal choice, but whatever you get if it's in .308 it'll do deer.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Mar 2018, 10:47 am

Sambar usually are found in quite dense scrub so I would take something light and short and quick to point and shoot, something with one of those aim point type setups would be the go I reckon, no need for high mag scopes, you need something that is very quick to get a shot off with as they don't tend to hang around long.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Plinker » 29 Mar 2018, 9:35 pm

Thanks for all the comments guys. I like the look/features of the Savage scout and like the accutrigger (I have a Savage 22 FVSR). BIt of a worry reading some of the reviews though - very finicky with ammo selection and needs hand loads (can't be arsed) for decent groupings...
Plinker
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 29 Mar 2018, 9:42 pm

Plinker wrote:Thanks for all the comments guys. I like the look/features of the Savage scout and like the accutrigger (I have a Savage 22 FVSR). BIt of a worry reading some of the reviews though - very finicky with ammo selection and needs hand loads (can't be arsed) for decent groupings...

Sambar are pretty big, especially at scrub ranges so I doubt you need sub-MoA.
Grab some boxes of different ammo and see which it prefers.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 30 Mar 2018, 8:18 am

Get a standard hunting weight rifle. Have the barrel shortened to about 19". Take a tiny bit off the butt so that your arms are nice and tight to your body when you pull. Fit a pic rail so you can mount what ever fast focusing optic you like to it with good eye relief.

Vua la..... you now have a light weight, fast pointing, stable to aim hunting rifle with a stiff barrel that can handle a string of fire and maintain POI if you need it to.....
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Spiney » 30 Mar 2018, 10:10 am

Just thinking ouside the square here, but how about a Ruger american ranch rifle in 450 bushmaster. Small, light and hits like a sledge hammer (apparently). Only downside is ammo availabilty and cost, but if you hand load and cast bullets not a huge big deal. Basically a reinvention of the old 45-70 but in a small carbine. :thumbsup:
So far CZ 455 22lr, Ruger american ranch 223
Spiney
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Mar 2018, 10:54 am

Gwion wrote:Get a standard hunting weight rifle. Have the barrel shortened to about 19". Take a tiny bit off the butt so that your arms are nice and tight to your body when you pull. Fit a pic rail so you can mount what ever fast focusing optic you like to it with good eye relief.

Vua la..... you now have a light weight, fast pointing, stable to aim hunting rifle with a stiff barrel that can handle a string of fire and maintain POI if you need it to.....

Or you could just buy something like this which will suit the high country sambar perfectly I reckon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMwXn6wl8nI
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 30 Mar 2018, 3:33 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Gwion wrote:Get a standard hunting weight rifle. Have the barrel shortened to about 19". Take a tiny bit off the butt so that your arms are nice and tight to your body when you pull. Fit a pic rail so you can mount what ever fast focusing optic you like to it with good eye relief.

Or you could just buy something like this which will suit the high country sambar perfectly I reckon.

I like it! Good for lefties as well.

Good honest review as well. :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigpete » 30 Mar 2018, 4:50 pm

Spiney wrote:Just thinking ouside the square here, but how about a Ruger american ranch rifle in 450 bushmaster. Small, light and hits like a sledge hammer (apparently). Only downside is ammo availabilty and cost, but if you hand load and cast bullets not a huge big deal. Basically a reinvention of the old 45-70 but in a small carbine. :thumbsup:

You and I think alike it seems
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Mar 2018, 5:26 pm

Gwion wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

I like it! Good for lefties as well.

Good honest review as well. :thumbsup:

Perfect for running around the dense stuff I reckon. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bigjobss » 30 Mar 2018, 5:41 pm

Sako bavarian in 9.3x62 with open sights would be my choice for a scrub gun.
Borrowed a mates last year, great handling and packs a punch.
Bigjobss

Post by bigpete » 30 Mar 2018, 7:48 pm

IMG_20171125_184134.jpg
This is my choice
IMG_20171125_184134.jpg (265.54 KiB) Viewed 5595 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by albat » 30 Mar 2018, 9:29 pm

Further to Bigfella scotts video This is steves latest sambar deer rifle offers a bit more versatility than the 308 he reckons for the long shots across the gullies https://youtu.be/TcJWp5gDUbI
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey