Scout rifle ok for Sambar?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Scout rifle ok for Sambar?

Post by Gwion » 30 Mar 2018, 8:18 am

Get a standard hunting weight rifle. Have the barrel shortened to about 19". Take a tiny bit off the butt so that your arms are nice and tight to your body when you pull. Fit a pic rail so you can mount what ever fast focusing optic you like to it with good eye relief.

Vua la..... you now have a light weight, fast pointing, stable to aim hunting rifle with a stiff barrel that can handle a string of fire and maintain POI if you need it to.....
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Spiney » 30 Mar 2018, 10:10 am

Just thinking ouside the square here, but how about a Ruger american ranch rifle in 450 bushmaster. Small, light and hits like a sledge hammer (apparently). Only downside is ammo availabilty and cost, but if you hand load and cast bullets not a huge big deal. Basically a reinvention of the old 45-70 but in a small carbine. :thumbsup:
So far CZ 455 22lr, Ruger american ranch 223
Spiney
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Mar 2018, 10:54 am

Gwion wrote:Get a standard hunting weight rifle. Have the barrel shortened to about 19". Take a tiny bit off the butt so that your arms are nice and tight to your body when you pull. Fit a pic rail so you can mount what ever fast focusing optic you like to it with good eye relief.

Vua la..... you now have a light weight, fast pointing, stable to aim hunting rifle with a stiff barrel that can handle a string of fire and maintain POI if you need it to.....

Or you could just buy something like this which will suit the high country sambar perfectly I reckon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMwXn6wl8nI
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 30 Mar 2018, 3:33 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Gwion wrote:Get a standard hunting weight rifle. Have the barrel shortened to about 19". Take a tiny bit off the butt so that your arms are nice and tight to your body when you pull. Fit a pic rail so you can mount what ever fast focusing optic you like to it with good eye relief.

Or you could just buy something like this which will suit the high country sambar perfectly I reckon.

I like it! Good for lefties as well.

Good honest review as well. :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigpete » 30 Mar 2018, 4:50 pm

Spiney wrote:Just thinking ouside the square here, but how about a Ruger american ranch rifle in 450 bushmaster. Small, light and hits like a sledge hammer (apparently). Only downside is ammo availabilty and cost, but if you hand load and cast bullets not a huge big deal. Basically a reinvention of the old 45-70 but in a small carbine. :thumbsup:

You and I think alike it seems
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Mar 2018, 5:26 pm

Gwion wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

I like it! Good for lefties as well.

Good honest review as well. :thumbsup:

Perfect for running around the dense stuff I reckon. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bigjobss » 30 Mar 2018, 5:41 pm

Sako bavarian in 9.3x62 with open sights would be my choice for a scrub gun.
Borrowed a mates last year, great handling and packs a punch.
Bigjobss

Post by bigpete » 30 Mar 2018, 7:48 pm

IMG_20171125_184134.jpg
This is my choice
IMG_20171125_184134.jpg (265.54 KiB) Viewed 5596 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by albat » 30 Mar 2018, 9:29 pm

Further to Bigfella scotts video This is steves latest sambar deer rifle offers a bit more versatility than the 308 he reckons for the long shots across the gullies https://youtu.be/TcJWp5gDUbI
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey