walking hunts, what to take?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

walking hunts, what to take?

Post by Littlegem » 29 Mar 2018, 8:18 am

Hey guys just curious what do you usually take in your packs (besides the usual water, food, fire and shelter) when out hunting state forests etc?
also does it vary if your intended game or caliber changes?
thanks in advanced for your help
Littlegem
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: walking hunts, what to take?

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Mar 2018, 8:28 am

Are you operating out of a base camp or is this just a one dayer or?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by VICHunter » 29 Mar 2018, 9:28 am

I operate out of camp always, so when walking travelling light is the order of the day.

Rifle, water, snack is all that's in the bag.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Littlegem » 29 Mar 2018, 9:37 am

bit of both really base camp (usually vehicle) and on occasion overnighters
Littlegem
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 29 Mar 2018, 10:34 am

Map so you know where your allowed to hunt, first aid kit able to treat gsw/heavy bleeding including a tourniquet, water/munchies some spare ammo, id/license some gloves some sort of nav equipment, knife and a game bag or however you plan on getting whatever you've shot back bit out of order but i was looking at my kit as i was writing
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Mar 2018, 10:45 am

From an old poat:
NOTE: It is unusual these days for me to go out more than 4 hrs morning or evening. * indicates items in the plastic bottle beside the knife and cannot be seen.
Knife
2 Bandaids
2 Panadol/asprin
Fox Whistle (s)
Pill bottle with styro foam
Puffer bottle
Head light
Ear plugs
Face mask & gloves
Tape
Mobile ph with compass
Shooting sticks
Water bottle
Shears for blackberries
Ammo holder 2 -3 rounds
* 2 mtrs string
* Lighter
* 1 Birthday candle
* 2 Safety pins
* Small oil stone

PS Also a short length of toilet paper not shown.

IMG_1439 Kit Small.jpg
IMG_1439 Kit Small.jpg (255.59 KiB) Viewed 6232 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 29 Mar 2018, 12:38 pm

if your going state forest you have your GPS device ,knives, small tomahawk and face mask gloves phone spare ammo not to much ect ect.
water
space blanket in bottom of pack https://www.ebay.com.au/i/263560013247? ... dispItem=1
food enough for 24 hours (don,t have to be much you know what you will need)
matches and lighter
cord
first aid kit small
half a bog roll
look at Morse code app for your phone
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Archie » 29 Mar 2018, 12:51 pm

pomemax wrote:if your going state forest you have your GPS device ,knives, small tomahawk and face mask gloves phone spare ammo not to much ect ect.
water
space blanket in bottom of pack https://www.ebay.com.au/i/263560013247? ... dispItem=1
food enough for 24 hours (don,t have to be much you know what you will need)
matches and lighter
cord
first aid kit small
half a bog roll
look at Morse code app for your phone

This plus just highlighting that the GPS device is compulsory and you need to have the allowable zones map loaded on to it. That can be your phone. I carry a folding saw rather than a tomahawk, but as long as it cuts wood probably doesnt matter. Leatherman/multitool, because you never know when you are going to need one. Hopefully not 127 hours... also I carry a couple of those little firelighter pills, because I am really, really bad at starting fires

And personally I reckon enough ammo is about 10 rounds but I guess it varies on what you are hunting. Call it one full magazine plus enough that if you drop your gun you can check your zero (which is technically not allowed in state forests but anyway...). If you're finding so much game that you need more than 10 rounds for actual hunting, drop me a PM and tell me which forest :D

EDIT: actually when I said one full magazine + extra... that's stupid. My .243 holds five rounds in a mag, I carry two mags. My 308 holds 4, i take 10 rounds. If I had one of those long actions that only carry 3 in the magazine, I'd still carry no less than 10 rounds.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Littlegem » 29 Mar 2018, 1:21 pm

Thanks for the reply's guys some great info and some things I haven't thought of
Littlegem
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by FuzzyM » 29 Mar 2018, 8:07 pm

Varies a bit.
Minimum is drinking water, phone and first aid kit.
Maximum is a patrol pack with all sorts of goodies, but the local forests are too thick and steep to really need it.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 30 Mar 2018, 9:41 am

Why do you need a face mask?
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by pomemax » 30 Mar 2018, 10:54 am

so you can scare Ivan (Milat) in state forests make you own fire lighters from tumble dryer fluff and paraffin wax look on youtube
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Mar 2018, 11:24 am

Steve does a lot of walk/camping/hunting and well worth listening to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWbLaDaMQNo
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by albat » 31 Mar 2018, 6:59 pm

The bit of gear which i carry always no matter where i go is a plb cus you never know
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by scoobs » 31 Mar 2018, 7:00 pm

a few meters of paracord always comes in handy
Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 31 Mar 2018, 8:18 pm

EPIRB?
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by tom604 » 31 Mar 2018, 10:30 pm

day walk,,water, couple of chew bars some nuts(maybe) bog paper,panadol,bandaids,large wound bandage,small wound bandage,stretchy bandage,hand sanitiser ,knife, bang stick. :thumbsup: large and small wound for entry and exit :wtf: , stretchy for snake bite and torniquet,sprains ect :thumbsup: (can use wound bandages for sling/strapping as well) bog paper for when you have to use the wound bandages,,you'd be shi%%ing yourself :shock: oh and i always have sparky tape on me,,comes in handy when bandaids just wont get the job done :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Hugh » 01 Apr 2018, 8:25 am

Hand sanitiser was in news this week with all brands found not to be as effective as soap and water by a long way.
Hugh
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Apr 2018, 11:36 am

Hugh wrote:Hand sanitiser was in news this week with all brands found not to be as effective as soap and water by a long way.

Does not surprise me in the least. For basic hygiene & around the house a quality soap &/or general purpose detergent is all you need. The rest is a waste of money. I just need to convince the wife though. :problem: :crazy:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Littlegem » 01 Apr 2018, 12:46 pm

Thanks for the reply guys, some great info.
Also does anyone take/use water purifiers? Be it tablets or filter? Do you have any lucks
Littlegem
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Bigjobss » 01 Apr 2018, 1:37 pm

Littlegem wrote:Thanks for the reply guys, some great info.
Also does anyone take/use water purifiers? Be it tablets or filter? Do you have any lucks

I take a filter straw on overnight hikes only.
I also like to have a few large garbage bags which can be used as drop sheets or shelter and old pillowcase for meat.
Cable ties are always handy too, they can be used to repair stuff like backpacks, bino harness, rifle sling etc or to secure stuff to the outside of your pack.
Bigjobss

Post by Archie » 01 Apr 2018, 6:24 pm

I have a katadyn water filter, and it works well, but it stays in the vehicle 99% of the time. Other than that I take a blister pack of the standard purification tablets. Makes the water taste awful but who cares, odds are you’ll never use it and if you need to, you won’t give a damn about the taste. On which point, if you only carry one water bottle, think about making it one of the aluminium ones. They are heavier than plastic but if you are going to only carry one that’s less of a factor. The real advantage is that if you have a fall they are very hard to break - dent yes but not actually pierce - and the purification tablets are pretty useless without a bottle, as are the uv sterilisation pens (also good but heavier than tablets). Haven’t tried lifestraws but heard good things.

And also, another vote for a plb.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 02 Apr 2018, 8:53 am

Hugh wrote:Hand sanitiser was in news this week with all brands found not to be as effective as soap and water by a long way.

Like any cleaning process, a sanitiser does not clean; it sanitises. First you clean, then you sanitise.
Sanitising will get rid of stuff that washing won't and washing will get rid of stuff that sanitising won't.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by tom604 » 02 Apr 2018, 12:07 pm

hiking gear 059.jpg
hiking gear 059.jpg (1.88 MiB) Viewed 6213 times
hiking gear 056.jpg
hiking gear 056.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 6213 times
first aid kit and walking kit, gps go's in a pocket, i will also take a range finder every now and then :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 02 Apr 2018, 8:04 pm

Any of you guys heard of a compass and map. Ive used them since I was in Cub Scouts long before we had GPS.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Archie » 02 Apr 2018, 8:43 pm

sungazer wrote:Any of you guys heard of a compass and map. Ive used them since I was in Cub Scouts long before we had GPS.

I’ve heard of them but the DPI hasn’t, which is why the GPS is compulsory in state forest hunts. Fair point though, if you are in an area you don’t know and you don’t take a proper map at least as a backup, you probably deserve what you get. And even if you do know ithe area you probably still want a compass.

Still amazes me though the number of bush walkers who take a map and compass and have nfi how to actually use them. There was a three year old kid who got lost in NSW this weekend, thankfully was found, and he apparently asked a roo for a ride home... didn’t work of course, but at least he had a plan. Better than some hikers.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 03 Apr 2018, 1:27 pm

sungazer wrote:Any of you guys heard of a compass and map. Ive used them since I was in Cub Scouts long before we had GPS.

Haha... me too. However I still want an epirb for in case it all goes pear shaped, though.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by tom604 » 03 Apr 2018, 2:37 pm

maps? compass? next thing you know its back to the horse and cart and beam scales :sarcasm: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 03 Apr 2018, 3:15 pm

tom604 wrote:maps? compass? next thing you know its back to the horse and cart and beam scales :sarcasm: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:

Hahaha...
They don't need batteries, though! :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Rod_outbak » 04 Apr 2018, 12:23 pm

Dealing with ticks:-
A recent visitor discovered he had returned home with a whole crop of tiny seed ticks attached(crawling around in the dirt at one stage). By the time he had realised what the itch was about, he had scratched the area a few times, and it was beginning to look like a war zone…
His wife is a pharmacists assistant, and suggested using the cream they use for the treatment for Scabies.
Scabies is a TINY burrowing parasitic mite, which can end up infesting most of your skin, if left untreated.

Well, it turns out the Scabies mites are closely related to ticks…

Reccommendation is to use a cream containing PERMETHRIN, such as "Lyclear Scabies Cream". The instructions(for Scabies) detail covering your whole body with the stuff, but for treating ticks, you just apply it to the tick bite.

Reports are the ticks were all dead and dropping off(complete with head) inside 10 minutes, and the cream even halts the maddening itch of the bites where you scratched the tick off, and the head remains.

The cream received the BIG thumbs-up from my visitor.

A tube of the Lyclear Scabies Cream is around $15 from your chemist, and doesn’t require a doctors script.

Just be warned; there is another treatment option for Scabies, which I believe is a lotion, with Ivermectin in it.
Ivermectin is used as an external parasitic treatment on cattle, and while I'm sure it works just as well on humans, I read that a lot of people suffer reactions to the Ivermectin-based lotion.
(Mind you; that is when treating Scabies over large areas of skin, so maybe not as obvious when treating individual ticks).

Plan C, is if you own cattle, go backline yourself with a shot of Paramax, and ride it out…

And now, I have to go and scratch like crazy, because talking about ticks just makes me start itching…

Flies:-
If you were walking around here at present (Western QLD), you'd be squirting insect repellent directly into your eyes, in the futile hope that you might stop the black flies from annoying the phuk out of you.. I noticed that they are much more intense in the trees along the creeks at present.
I had 3 different brands of tropical strength repellent on the other day, and the bloody flies were still crawling into my eyes.
Might be worth having a fly-veil tucked away somewhere (Not really knowing if flies are a problem in your part of the world...).

Water:
I'd also suggest water purifier tablets. Rainwater tanks can easily have something in them that gives you a guts-ache for days, so I'd be treating any water I used along the way.

A few spare plastic garbage bags are extremely handy. A small roll of them weighs next to nothing, they can be used as padding to make a pack quiet, and there are million things you can use them for in an emergency.

My 2 cents.

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey