walking hunts, what to take?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: walking hunts, what to take?

Post by Littlegem » 05 Apr 2018, 9:02 pm

Rod_outbak wrote:Dealing with ticks:-
A recent visitor discovered he had returned home with a whole crop of tiny seed ticks attached(crawling around in the dirt at one stage). By the time he had realised what the itch was about, he had scratched the area a few times, and it was beginning to look like a war zone…
His wife is a pharmacists assistant, and suggested using the cream they use for the treatment for Scabies.
Scabies is a TINY burrowing parasitic mite, which can end up infesting most of your skin, if left untreated.

Well, it turns out the Scabies mites are closely related to ticks…

Reccommendation is to use a cream containing PERMETHRIN, such as "Lyclear Scabies Cream". The instructions(for Scabies) detail covering your whole body with the stuff, but for treating ticks, you just apply it to the tick bite.

Reports are the ticks were all dead and dropping off(complete with head) inside 10 minutes, and the cream even halts the maddening itch of the bites where you scratched the tick off, and the head remains.

The cream received the BIG thumbs-up from my visitor.

A tube of the Lyclear Scabies Cream is around $15 from your chemist, and doesn’t require a doctors script.

Just be warned; there is another treatment option for Scabies, which I believe is a lotion, with Ivermectin in it.
Ivermectin is used as an external parasitic treatment on cattle, and while I'm sure it works just as well on humans, I read that a lot of people suffer reactions to the Ivermectin-based lotion.
(Mind you; that is when treating Scabies over large areas of skin, so maybe not as obvious when treating individual ticks).

Plan C, is if you own cattle, go backline yourself with a shot of Paramax, and ride it out…

And now, I have to go and scratch like crazy, because talking about ticks just makes me start itching…

Flies:-
If you were walking around here at present (Western QLD), you'd be squirting insect repellent directly into your eyes, in the futile hope that you might stop the black flies from annoying the phuk out of you.. I noticed that they are much more intense in the trees along the creeks at present.
I had 3 different brands of tropical strength repellent on the other day, and the bloody flies were still crawling into my eyes.
Might be worth having a fly-veil tucked away somewhere (Not really knowing if flies are a problem in your part of the world...).

Water:
I'd also suggest water purifier tablets. Rainwater tanks can easily have something in them that gives you a guts-ache for days, so I'd be treating any water I used along the way.

A few spare plastic garbage bags are extremely handy. A small roll of them weighs next to nothing, they can be used as padding to make a pack quiet, and there are million things you can use them for in an emergency.

My 2 cents.

Cheers,

Rod.

Thats some pretty in depth info and I'll def have to pick up some permthrin just to keep around definitely good too know
Littlegem
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Littlegem » 05 Apr 2018, 9:04 pm

sungazer wrote:Yes location, location, location. In Vic we dont really have any problems with ticks much more likely to get leaches so its good to know your area and go prepared accordingly.

PS I have been a GPS geek from the day they were available. I used them at work. I ended up getting a standalone Bluetooth device many years ago and then had Oziexplorer loaded on a windows phone. You had to scan your own topo maps and calibrate them.
I bought all the 60-70's maps for Cambodia, Viet Nam, and Thailand and exported a bike over there and rode some great places that were only on old maps great stuff.

In nsw mate but I'm more curious what people carry, and what they have learnt over the years, I'm only new to all this so trying to soak in as much as possible
Littlegem
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Littlegem » 05 Apr 2018, 9:09 pm

sungazer wrote:The Oziexplorer is hands on hard work. you have to get the map scan it which may have to be done in 6-8 sections then joined in photoshop ect. then calibrated and loaded on to your device. The good points are it operates on a PC, windows CE phones, Android haven't checked other platforms. so it is for the enthusiast with a bit of knowledge. However you can use any map of any scale. Anyway enough off topic. I tend only to walk a short distance from base camp these days so it is a very light pack.

I use ozi and hema explorer on phone and tablet for all my 4wd mapping, agree its great when you learn to use it but takes a bit of time.

Also want to thank everyone again even though I'm not responding individually etc i am reading all the comments and love your works gents thanks for the info
Littlegem
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by winton » 09 Apr 2018, 12:05 pm

Archie wrote:This plus just highlighting that the GPS device is compulsory and you need to have the allowable zones map loaded on to it.

And personally I reckon enough ammo is about 10 rounds but I guess it varies on what you are hunting. Call it one full magazine plus enough that if you drop your gun you can check your zero (which is technically not allowed in state forests but anyway...).

A few questions for Archie:
1st) How do you load the allowable zones into your satnav? Can you get these for garmin?
2nd) How would anyone tell the difference between you checking zero and you firing at game?

What do you guys do about leeches here in Vic?
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Archie » 09 Apr 2018, 12:50 pm

winton wrote:
Archie wrote:This plus just highlighting that the GPS device is compulsory and you need to have the allowable zones map loaded on to it.

And personally I reckon enough ammo is about 10 rounds but I guess it varies on what you are hunting. Call it one full magazine plus enough that if you drop your gun you can check your zero (which is technically not allowed in state forests but anyway...).

A few questions for Archie:
1st) How do you load the allowable zones into your satnav? Can you get these for garmin?
2nd) How would anyone tell the difference between you checking zero and you firing at game?

What do you guys do about leeches here in Vic?

1/ You can download the data files from the NSW DPI website when you log on using your r-licence. They do have the right files for garmin. Once you load them onto your laptop you can transfer the file to your Garmin once you have plugged that into the USB. You then need to enable it in the garmin, which you do via selecting active maps, same as you switch the topo map on or off. If that isn't clear I will write something in more detail but I'm away for a few weeks so don't have access to my garmin till i get back
2/ Look... realistically, they probably can't. If they just see you shooting they'll never be able to be sure you weren't shooting at game that they couldnt see. But if you put out a target or fire off ten rounds and keep adjusting your scope in between I reckon it'll give them a clue. In the vast majority of cases when you hunt in a state forest you never see another person, so it'll probably never be an issue anyway.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by winton » 08 Aug 2018, 12:11 pm

did anyone leave out Gaiters, or has it already been suggested?
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 08 Aug 2018, 6:20 pm

++ spare batteries.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Previous

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey