Need info re hunting in NSW.

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Need info re hunting in NSW.

Post by Southpaw » 07 Apr 2018, 8:57 pm

Hi all, new to the forum.
From Tassie but working often in Nowra. I’m keen to bring the rifle(s) up and pot a few bunnies and the like, and just wondering what the go is. Do I just knock on the local farmers door and introduce myself? Is there crown land/forestry permits available? Also do you shoot wallabies and possums up there?
Cheers.
Southpaw
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Re: Need info re hunting in NSW.

Post by bladeracer » 08 Apr 2018, 11:41 am

Southpaw wrote:Hi all, new to the forum.
From Tassie but working often in Nowra. I’m keen to bring the rifle(s) up and pot a few bunnies and the like, and just wondering what the go is. Do I just knock on the local farmers door and introduce myself? Is there crown land/forestry permits available? Also do you shoot wallabies and possums up there?
Cheers.

There is crown land, but you need to apply for an R-class hunting licence, book your hunt online, carry a GPS, wear blaze orange, and probably more that I can't recall just now. Easier to duck down to Vic if you want to hunt crown land. No, we don't shoot possums, wallabies or 'roos.
Foxes, rabbits, hares, cats, dogs, pigs, goats and deer are mainly what you'll be looking for. If you want to hunt deer on private property you'll need a G-class hunting licence.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Southpaw » 08 Apr 2018, 1:12 pm

Thanks for the info, not onto deer, or wearing orange for that matter :) Best to stay away from crown by the sounds of it? So if I just wanted to shoot a rabbit or fox on private property, and I found a farmer willing to let me shoot there, then what permits do I need? You really don’t shoot possums, wallabies or roos?
Cheers.
Southpaw
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 08 Apr 2018, 1:29 pm

Southpaw wrote:Thanks for the info, not onto deer, or wearing orange for that matter :) Best to stay away from crown by the sounds of it? So if I just wanted to shoot a rabbit or fox on private property, and I found a farmer willing to let me shoot there, then what permits do I need? You really don’t shoot possums, wallabies or roos?
Cheers.

If you only want to hunt pests on private property you don't need anything but your firearms licence, and permission.
Possums are protected native fauna, as are 'roos and wallabies.
Landowners with problem animals can apply for cull permits, but other methods of control are required before cull permits are issued - fencing, scaring, etc.
Dogs are a very serious problem in some places, so if you go after those you should be able to find landowners happy to let you shoot them.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Southpaw » 08 Apr 2018, 3:31 pm

Ok, thanks. And when you say dogs do you mean stray dogs, or dingo-crosses?
Southpaw
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 08 Apr 2018, 3:36 pm

Southpaw wrote:Ok, thanks. And when you say dogs do you mean stray dogs, or dingo-crosses?

Wild or feral dogs. Worse than foxes as they tend to kill in packs.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Southpaw » 08 Apr 2018, 3:39 pm

Would that be more an inland thing? Or a statewide issue?
Southpaw
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 08 Apr 2018, 4:29 pm

Southpaw wrote:Would that be more an inland thing? Or a statewide issue?

I think like most ferals they go where they feel safe and have plenty of prey - sheep farms are hard hit I think.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Southpaw » 08 Apr 2018, 6:56 pm

bladeracer wrote:I think like most ferals they go where they feel safe and have plenty of prey - sheep farms are hard hit I think.

Ok, cheers, thanks for all the info. :)
Southpaw
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey