First Flintlock Hunt

Black powder rifles and pistols, reloading black powder, and other information. The smoky stuff.

First Flintlock Hunt

Post by bigpete » 17 Apr 2018, 6:36 pm

Just came back from what was originally meant to be a week hunting with primitive gear up near Mildura. Let's just say conditions weren't that nice and I cracked the s**ts early and went home on the first day.
But I did manage to get my first kill with my flintlock. I found 2 goats resting under a tree as I drive past them to get the wind right,but of course by the time I got back to where they were they'd moved off a hundred yards.
Knowing I'm not so good with a flinch lock,I got within 30m before shooting at the chest of the biggest one. And flinched that bad I just grazed his knee !
So of course by the time I reloaded,they'd moved off another 200m. Pretty quiet goats really. Once again I stalked up to within 30m and fired again at the chest of the bigger one as it came out from behind a bush. It dropped on the spot. Mainly because I'd bloody flinched again and hit 4 inches to the left off where I was aiming and hit it dead centre of the neck. A quickish reload and a shot to the head and it was butchering time !! I can definitely say goat liver,loin,onion,and gravy makes a fine meal !!!!! But I definitely need to work this flinch lock out before I do too much more hunting,I shoot better with a bow at that distance !!!!
IMG_20180417_172609.jpg
Tasty !!!
IMG_20180417_172609.jpg (224.32 KiB) Viewed 5403 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: First Flintlock Hunt

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Apr 2018, 7:17 pm

Good onya.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Growler » 17 Apr 2018, 7:22 pm

Has it got a big recoil? Or is it the anticipation of the shot after the trigger is pulled that causes the flinch?
Just the necessity
Growler
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 17 Apr 2018, 7:36 pm

Very little recoil,just a big flash right in front of your eyes and a slight delay before the main charge goes off is what is the problem for me stm
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Growler » 17 Apr 2018, 7:45 pm

My ex father in law built one up from a DIY "kit" years ago, he never fired it (probably lucky not at me when we split hahaha). Your post reminded me how cool it was, the timber needed sanding and finishing and he stained it quite dark. Wonder if these kits are still available?
Just the necessity
Growler
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 17 Apr 2018, 8:00 pm

Not very common but I think they're still around
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 17 Apr 2018, 8:10 pm

awesome hunting :thumbsup: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 19 Apr 2018, 4:25 pm

Interesting choice of rifle for a hunt. And yes definitely get that black powder flinch sorted if you're going to continue shooting at anything breathing :thumbsup:
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Apr 2018, 5:23 pm

I think it's fantastic to shoot medium and large game with black powder. Just gotta be within range. Some use bows don't they.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 19 Apr 2018, 6:02 pm

Some great eating there Pete. The flash and delay must be a real challenge for POA vs POI if you have any flinch at all.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 19 Apr 2018, 6:54 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I think it's fantastic to shoot medium and large game with black powder. Just gotta be within range. Some use bows don't they.

I use bows too trust me lol. And atlatls.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 19 Apr 2018, 6:55 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:Some great eating there Pete. The flash and delay must be a real challenge for POA vs POI if you have any flinch at all.

It is,and its something I need to work on. Hence why I stalked into bow range before shooting. Would not have been a problem with my caplock
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 19 Apr 2018, 7:55 pm

bigpete wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:I think it's fantastic to shoot medium and large game with black powder. Just gotta be within range. Some use bows don't they.

I reckon anyone with the patience to master a spear chucker good enough to hunt and fish with will master a flinch! Effin nice work on the goat!! :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 19 Apr 2018, 8:11 pm

Daddybang wrote:
bigpete wrote:

I reckon anyone with the patience to master a spear chucker good enough to hunt and fish with will master a flinch! Effin nice work on the goat!! :thumbsup: :drinks:

I bloody hope so !!! Lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Midwestman » 28 Apr 2018, 1:24 pm

great stuff bigpete.Nice flintlock always like seeing stories about a few goats to the table,a serious pest hunted by a serious gun great story and picture.
carl gustov 03 mauser 6.5x55
savage 223
Midwestman
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Black powder shooting