My first rut

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

My first rut

Post by Bent Arrow » 21 Apr 2018, 8:53 am

It's been a journey in itself just to get hunting access for this property. I know the land owners wife through work, her husband and father in-law own the property, getting access to camp was easy, permission to hunt took a gentle, respectful approach spread out over more than a year that actually turned out much, much more rewarding on a personal level than an an easy “yes” would have been. The number of foxes on the game cameras I have set out helped in conversations about the need to control feral animals.

I know they're here. They mooch past my game cameras just frequently enough for me to not lose interest, but not frequently enough for me to have any level of confidence that I might actually see one, never mind have an opportunity to put one on the deck with the bow. The landowners say they haven't seen any, but apparently their neighbour shot one a few years ago…………he says he hasn't seen one for years…….

The bush is dense, with a few clearings which are likely feeding areas compared to the open cleared paddocks of the adjacent property which offer little cover to retreat back into. After half a dozen or so visits over the last two years I still haven't seen one. I was here a couple of weeks ago, I think I heard them croaking in the distance but I'm not sure. I found some scat that I thought was what I was looking for, but I'm not sure. There's so many kangaroos I have no chance of telling if a bedding area is just kangaroos or not.

I haven't been shooting my bow enough lately to be 100% confident in making a good shot so I made the decision to do this hunt with my rifle just in case I see what I am now thoroughly convinced are just phantoms. The bow hunter in me is more than a bit disappointed, but I know I have made a solid ethical decision. I don't want to shunt the odds against myself, more importantly, I definitely don't want to make a poor shot on an animal.

I find a couple of saplings that have recently copped a flogging and my hopes go up a little. I bump kangaroos that I hadn't seen, and know that I'm not moving quietly and slowly enough. My confidence fades again.

A fox snuffling along the other side of the hill grabs my attention. It's a long poke so I take my day pack off and sit it on a stump, and lay my rifle over the pack as a rest. Unzip the pouch on my rifle stock, retrieve the small mirror and piece of styrofoam I use as a squeaker and give it a few rubs. The fox completely ignores me. I grab my tin whistle and let out a couple of wails. The fox doesn't even look up, it just bolts. Clearly someone has muffed it before and the fox knows that sound is nothing but trouble.

I move down to the bottom of the hill and place a camera on the junction of three game trails that lead into a small dam. By this time I've all but given up hope of seeing what I'm looking for, and wish I'd taken the long shot on the fox when I had the chance.

I move slowly up the opposite hill. It's approaching 8:30 am and I've been out here since before first light. Yesterday was a bust. I know that my chances just get lower as the sun gets higher in the sky. My meat freezer is empty, Rinella would say I'm in a meat crisis, and I start wishing I had headed north to one my goat properties where the odds are largely in my favour. I decide it's time for a cup of tea and find a nice flat spot with a view and get out my thermos.

10 minutes later I feel refreshed but decide it's pretty much over, and I might as well head back to camp. I stand up, sling my pack, bend over and grab my rifle. I move about 20m and something moves slightly to my left about 30m away. Antlers move behind the scrub, a buck bolts out of his bed and runs across in front of me from left to right. My heart rate goes nuts. Holy crap, I nearly walked onto him. He runs behind a series of small bushes and trees and I think “no shot, I've got no shot” then he stops about 70m away right between two trees, quartering just slightly looking right at me. The ground falls away a little and I can't see the bottom part of his legs, but I can see all of his chest and can't believe I've got a clear shooting line. The hill rises again behind him so I know I've got a safe backstop. The rifle comes up, I see the spot that will push the bullet through the triangle. Aim for a spot, aim for a spot, aim for a spot BOOM. He lurches forward and goes straight down, his antlers momentarily above the fallen timber. Now I can't see him. I quickly cycle the bolt just in case he stands up. It doesn't happen. The bow hunter in me tells me to wait and I force myself to stand ready for a follow up. Holy crap, did that really just happen? I can't really believe it, surely that didn't just happen, did it? I bend over, pick up the spent shell and move my way around to get a line of sight, no movement, he's down and out.

I make my way over, drop the magazine out, cycle the bolt and put my rifle and day pack down. I can't believe it, I've just done what moments before I had written off as “not going to happen today”. He's not going to make any record books, but I just don't care. FKOS, unsupported, on my first really serious attempt and in the first rut I've ever hunted. Damn it would have been nice to have done that with a bow but I know it wouldn't have happened, the shot was more than double my comfort range.

Now the real work begins, ohh crap. My meat bags are back at the car. I drag him into the shade and gut him to help the carcass to cool, noting that the bullet went in the front shoulder, through both lungs and the lead core of the projectile from my 25-06 stacked up under the skin on the off side. On the upside, now I'm damn sure I know what fallow scat looks like. I place my shirt over the cavity to keep the flies out, mark the spot on my GPS and hightail it back to camp and then back again.

I have read that “fallow are just big goats”. I call horse poo on that. The legs and back straps I take off of this buck are substantially larger than anything I've ever taken off a goat. Either the goats I've been shooting are small, or this buck is big, and I know that neither of those things are true.

Four legs and the back straps make a lot of weight to carry out but I'm determined to get this meat back to the car as soon as possible. My head and body hurts just at the thought of breaking down and then carrying out an elk or a moose in bear country. Another return trip is required to swap out the SD card in a nearby camera, and get the skull and skin. I look at the skin, think about the work involved and decide I'm stuffed already, I've got to work tomorrow…. So I decided to leave it, I know I'll probably regret that decision one day, but not today.

The meat is in my fridge aging a bit before I bone it out, cut it up and then bag it for the freezer. Meat crisis temporarily averted. The work of cleaning the skull is underway…….

_20180420_202649.JPG
_20180420_202649.JPG (635.04 KiB) Viewed 6013 times

_20180420_202625.JPG
_20180420_202625.JPG (762.09 KiB) Viewed 6013 times

Time to rustle up some recipes….. I
I wonder if my goat pies will be as good when they're made with venison…..

Thanks for reading. Cheers
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Re: My first rut

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Apr 2018, 9:09 am

Nice one Bent, great result for the first rut. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by tom604 » 21 Apr 2018, 9:24 am

very nice, good size goat you have there :lol: :lol: thanks for the read :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 21 Apr 2018, 9:50 am

Bloody nice work BA!! :thumbsup: :drinks:
And well written up! :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Apr 2018, 11:33 am

Daddybang wrote:Bloody nice work BA!! :thumbsup: :drinks:
And well written up! :drinks:

+1
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 21 Apr 2018, 1:02 pm

Good job mate,and unlike people on the other forum you frequent,I'll give you a hearty thumbs up whether with a bow or a rifle !!!!!
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 21 Apr 2018, 1:47 pm

Thanks guys, much appreciated

bigpete wrote:Good job mate,and unlike people on the other forum you frequent,I'll give you a hearty thumbs up whether with a bow or a rifle !!!!!

Yeah, that was a pretty amusing comment. Nothing like supporting each other........ Whatever..........
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 21 Apr 2018, 2:18 pm

Mate that blokes a dick. Ignore him.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 21 Apr 2018, 2:46 pm

well done, I bet your as happy as a pig in ****** :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Apr 2018, 5:23 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:Thanks guys, much appreciated

bigpete wrote:Good job mate,and unlike people on the other forum you frequent,I'll give you a hearty thumbs up whether with a bow or a rifle !!!!!

Yeah, that was a pretty amusing comment. Nothing like supporting each other........ Whatever..........

What forum was it BA?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Apr 2018, 5:39 pm

Or front stuffer. :thumbsup:
As long as its a humane kill what does it matter what you use. It still hunting.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Apr 2018, 5:58 pm

Oldbloke wrote:

Or front stuffer. :thumbsup:
As long as its a humane kill what does it matter what you use. It still hunting.

Yep whatever your comfortable using to get the job done humanely. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bent Arrow » 21 Apr 2018, 6:30 pm

marksman wrote:well done, I bet your as happy as a pig in ****** :drinks:

Sure am
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 21 Apr 2018, 6:33 pm

bigfellascott wrote:

What forum was it BA?

A bowhunting forum I've been an active member of for a long time. It's all good.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Apr 2018, 7:28 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

What forum was it BA?

A bowhunting forum I've been an active member of for a long time. It's all good.

They will just have to get over the fact you chose a firearm to hunt with instead of a bow and arrow, you made the right choice if you weren't confident of a humane kill with the bow and arrow. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigpete » 21 Apr 2018, 8:00 pm

I've been a bowhunter my whole life,and some of these guys these days have a huge chip on their shoulders unfortunately. Especially the bloke in question,who certainly talks the talk but has yet to prove he walks the walk
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bigjobss » 21 Apr 2018, 8:44 pm

Really nice stag mate, good work.
There is no retirement home for old stags, nature is much more brutal than an an arrow or bullet could ever be, you harvested some good meat and deserve to be proud of yourself.
Bigjobss

Post by PaddyT » 22 Apr 2018, 1:10 pm

Great write up, great result well done on the stag and the story!
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bent Arrow » 28 Apr 2018, 8:03 pm

Home made venison and bacon sausage rolls. Yummy. Went down a treat. One would have been enough but everyone smashed two........

_20180428_193118.JPG
_20180428_193118.JPG (482.57 KiB) Viewed 5101 times
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by darwindingo » 28 Apr 2018, 8:51 pm

Damn they look beautiful, it kinda sucks I can't pick one up and eat it though.. :mrgreen: Doh...

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Stix » 30 Apr 2018, 12:24 pm

Wow...Good tale...bludy good on you BA...& a good shot at 70m i rekon--considering the upheaval your physiology would've been experiencing in those few moments...!!
I had a similar experience (in relation to it being unexpected) with a fox last year--face to face with it at 15m & my heart trying to bust out of my chest while trying to hold a torch & rifle, & i put the shot over its head--@ 15 bludy metres...!! :lol:
So you getting your first deer at 70m is a cracker of a shot in my book...!
Any hunter-be it a rifle shooter, bow hunter or even rock thrower who can find the energy to knock any part of your effort is sad sad sack of fermenting onion skins...!
Im as envious as i am happy for you.!

The situations where time & energy dont allow you to take the skin are a bummer hey...
I regret not taking many skins--in particular i really regret leaving 3 very unique & unbelievable quality goat skins.
So its a shame you dont have the skin of your first...
But atleast you've got the memory down on paper, along with gps coordinates & some really great pics...!
:thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Apr 2018, 2:20 pm

I've been in a few ruts but what stage of deer hunting is a rut or is it when they mate ?
Forgive me for this silly question I've never hunted deer and I've led a very secluded life '' lol''
Member-Deleted

Post by Bent Arrow » 30 Apr 2018, 9:11 pm

Stix wrote:Wow...Good tale...bludy good on you BA...& a good shot at 70m i rekon--considering the upheaval your physiology would've been experiencing in those few moments...!!
I had a similar experience (in relation to it being unexpected) with a fox last year--face to face with it at 15m & my heart trying to bust out of my chest while trying to hold a torch & rifle, & i put the shot over its head--@ 15 bludy metres...!! :lol:
So you getting your first deer at 70m is a cracker of a shot in my book...!
Any hunter-be it a rifle shooter, bow hunter or even rock thrower who can find the energy to knock any part of your effort is sad sad sack of fermenting onion skins...!
Im as envious as i am happy for you.!

The situations where time & energy dont allow you to take the skin are a bummer hey...
I regret not taking many skins--in particular i really regret leaving 3 very unique & unbelievable quality goat skins.
So its a shame you dont have the skin of your first...
But atleast you've got the memory down on paper, along with gps coordinates & some really great pics...!
:thumbsup:

Thanks Stix, much appreciated mate. Great to have you back on the forum
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 30 Apr 2018, 9:16 pm

grandadbushy wrote:I've been in a few ruts but what stage of deer hunting is a rut or is it when they mate ?
Forgive me for this silly question I've never hunted deer and I've led a very secluded life '' lol''

The non-technical description: "mating season". Typically occurs late March-early April down here. The bucks tend to be more mobile and reckless, defending territory and chasing does. They'll call to announce themselves and come to calls/ rattling cast antlers.

I love a secluded life
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Apr 2018, 11:30 pm

Thanks Bent Arrow never had anything to do with deer
Yeah mate I couldn't live in a city tried it a couple of times following construction but give it away :thumbsdown:
Member-Deleted

Post by Midwestman » 01 May 2018, 2:26 pm

nice stag bentarrow also great story.don't let the detractors worry you. i also enjoy bow hunting alot,problem is ferals on my property too smart so now i just my rifle,but whenever i go out on my property or someone elses always take my bow with my rifles.
carl gustov 03 mauser 6.5x55
savage 223
Midwestman
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey