My first rut

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: My first rut

Post by Bent Arrow » 28 Apr 2018, 8:03 pm

Home made venison and bacon sausage rolls. Yummy. Went down a treat. One would have been enough but everyone smashed two........

_20180428_193118.JPG
_20180428_193118.JPG (482.57 KiB) Viewed 5100 times
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by darwindingo » 28 Apr 2018, 8:51 pm

Damn they look beautiful, it kinda sucks I can't pick one up and eat it though.. :mrgreen: Doh...

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Stix » 30 Apr 2018, 12:24 pm

Wow...Good tale...bludy good on you BA...& a good shot at 70m i rekon--considering the upheaval your physiology would've been experiencing in those few moments...!!
I had a similar experience (in relation to it being unexpected) with a fox last year--face to face with it at 15m & my heart trying to bust out of my chest while trying to hold a torch & rifle, & i put the shot over its head--@ 15 bludy metres...!! :lol:
So you getting your first deer at 70m is a cracker of a shot in my book...!
Any hunter-be it a rifle shooter, bow hunter or even rock thrower who can find the energy to knock any part of your effort is sad sad sack of fermenting onion skins...!
Im as envious as i am happy for you.!

The situations where time & energy dont allow you to take the skin are a bummer hey...
I regret not taking many skins--in particular i really regret leaving 3 very unique & unbelievable quality goat skins.
So its a shame you dont have the skin of your first...
But atleast you've got the memory down on paper, along with gps coordinates & some really great pics...!
:thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Apr 2018, 2:20 pm

I've been in a few ruts but what stage of deer hunting is a rut or is it when they mate ?
Forgive me for this silly question I've never hunted deer and I've led a very secluded life '' lol''
Member-Deleted

Post by Bent Arrow » 30 Apr 2018, 9:11 pm

Stix wrote:Wow...Good tale...bludy good on you BA...& a good shot at 70m i rekon--considering the upheaval your physiology would've been experiencing in those few moments...!!
I had a similar experience (in relation to it being unexpected) with a fox last year--face to face with it at 15m & my heart trying to bust out of my chest while trying to hold a torch & rifle, & i put the shot over its head--@ 15 bludy metres...!! :lol:
So you getting your first deer at 70m is a cracker of a shot in my book...!
Any hunter-be it a rifle shooter, bow hunter or even rock thrower who can find the energy to knock any part of your effort is sad sad sack of fermenting onion skins...!
Im as envious as i am happy for you.!

The situations where time & energy dont allow you to take the skin are a bummer hey...
I regret not taking many skins--in particular i really regret leaving 3 very unique & unbelievable quality goat skins.
So its a shame you dont have the skin of your first...
But atleast you've got the memory down on paper, along with gps coordinates & some really great pics...!
:thumbsup:

Thanks Stix, much appreciated mate. Great to have you back on the forum
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 30 Apr 2018, 9:16 pm

grandadbushy wrote:I've been in a few ruts but what stage of deer hunting is a rut or is it when they mate ?
Forgive me for this silly question I've never hunted deer and I've led a very secluded life '' lol''

The non-technical description: "mating season". Typically occurs late March-early April down here. The bucks tend to be more mobile and reckless, defending territory and chasing does. They'll call to announce themselves and come to calls/ rattling cast antlers.

I love a secluded life
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Apr 2018, 11:30 pm

Thanks Bent Arrow never had anything to do with deer
Yeah mate I couldn't live in a city tried it a couple of times following construction but give it away :thumbsdown:
Member-Deleted

Post by Midwestman » 01 May 2018, 2:26 pm

nice stag bentarrow also great story.don't let the detractors worry you. i also enjoy bow hunting alot,problem is ferals on my property too smart so now i just my rifle,but whenever i go out on my property or someone elses always take my bow with my rifles.
carl gustov 03 mauser 6.5x55
savage 223
Midwestman
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey