Hide tanning melbourne?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Hide tanning melbourne?

Post by Bigjobss » 06 May 2018, 1:15 pm

Can anyone reccomend a good taxidermist or simmilar near Melbourne that will tan a hide for me?
How much do you think the ballpark cost for a medium deer hide would be? Im thinking around $200?
Cheers
Bigjobss

Re: Hide tanning melbourne?

Post by Bigjobss » 06 May 2018, 2:22 pm

Cheers bentaz pm sent.
On the home now, shot it yesterday and fleshed out as much as i could, didnt have enough salt with me, should I salt it when I get home or freeze it without salt?
Bigjobss

Post by Stix » 06 May 2018, 3:11 pm

bentaz wrote:Its not that hard or expensive to do it yourself.
I did my first hide (goat) not long ago with some directions Oldbloke sent me, pm me if your keen

Can i ask what recipe you used & how it worked out...?
OB told me you were doing one...
I tried 2 different versions of the alum only recipe & had no luck...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 06 May 2018, 3:46 pm

not sure of the exact location but I have heard there is a tannery in ballarat that will do it for $80
maybe do a search :unknown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 06 May 2018, 4:29 pm

I have had a couple of cow hides done professionally before I think the name was Greenliegh or something like that is wasn't cheap though and it was a long time ago. Lots of salt is the go to keep it good until you get sorted.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by sungazer » 06 May 2018, 5:16 pm

Never to late for the oil You can get it at Saddleworld/ horseland ect ask your wife she will probably have the stuff. I would probably just get the jayel saddle cream/wax not so oily. But if it is dry you can give it a bit of oil once then the other.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Bigjobss » 06 May 2018, 6:44 pm

http://www.birdsall-leather.com.au/DTHF ... ltr/pd.php

If I do mine I will grab some of this oil.

I've thrown it in the freezer for now but I was thinking if I were to do it myself I would defrost and salt it for a few days to help remove the last of the crud by firming it up.
I spent an hour or two around camp yesterday cleaning it but some bits are just too hard to get at.

Dont want to stuff it up, before I left I promised the missus I would bring home a nice rug, halfway there I guess.
Bigjobss

Post by Stix » 06 May 2018, 6:46 pm

Bigjobss wrote:Can anyone reccomend a good taxidermist or simmilar near Melbourne that will tan a hide for me?
How much do you think the ballpark cost for a medium deer hide would be? Im thinking around $200?
Cheers

Not in Melbourne...but i did speak to a fellow down Goolwa way here in SA a while back.
Seemed a really down to earth guy who takes pride in what he does, & he gave me some free advice on home tanning, which is always a good sign.
He said a lot of his repeat work is from guys in Vic & from memory was within the price range you are thinking...
Cant hurt to give him a call....or bigpete may very well be able to tell you more.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 06 May 2018, 6:50 pm

bentaz wrote:https://www.fieldandstream.com/how-to-tan-a-deer-hide
I didn't have the neatsfoot oil so mine is bit stiff, but its well preserved. :drinks:

Looks good...!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bigjobss » 06 May 2018, 7:12 pm

Stix wrote:
Bigjobss wrote:Can anyone reccomend a good taxidermist or simmilar near Melbourne that will tan a hide for me?
Cheers

Not in Melbourne...but i did speak to a fellow down Goolwa way here in SA a while back.
Seemed a really down to earth guy who takes pride in what he does, & he gave me some free advice on home tanning, which is always a good sign.
He said a lot of his repeat work is from guys in Vic & from memory was within the price range you are thinking...
Cant hurt to give him a call....or bigpete may very well be able to tell you more.

Yeh sweet PM me the number, was planning to go through there later on this year anyway
Bigjobss

Post by sungazer » 06 May 2018, 7:20 pm

A good way to clean the back of the hide or flesh it without knife marks is to use a high pressure water spray. I have been using one and it works great so much easier and a better result. You do have to be careful depending on you high pressure water spay as it can rif or make a hole just lie a fleshing knife but % wise better results and less chance of bits left over and less rips holes ect.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Pudlux » 06 May 2018, 7:27 pm

Just a tip if it hasn't been raised already. I have found that the easiest way to flesh the hide is to use a pressure washer. I can do a fallow that is only field skun in under 30 min with the Kacherr. Just clamp hide to outdoor table or similar and let rip. Fat etc makes a mess but! Good luck.
Pudlux
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 07 May 2018, 7:38 pm

marksman wrote:not sure of the exact location but I have heard there is a tannery in ballarat that will do it for $80
maybe do a search :unknown:

Found it
$95
Just ship it to them salted, 8 weeks
http://www.gretannery.com.a/contact_us.htm

Thanks for the tip, not going to stuff around doing it myself for that price
Bigjobss

Post by Stix » 07 May 2018, 7:46 pm

Did i hear a seven minute echo...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by duncan61 » 07 May 2018, 8:17 pm

for $95 I would get it done.I have used Kerosene and baking soda before as a paste and it blues the skin nicely
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 07 May 2018, 8:45 pm

The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 07 May 2018, 8:56 pm

Be nice to the new blokes Stixs :thumbsup:
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Bigjobss » 07 May 2018, 9:00 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Try these.

https://www.austanners.com.au

I'll give them a call tomorrow and let u know how it went.
Any experience with them?
Bigjobss

Post by Oldbloke » 07 May 2018, 10:08 pm

Bigjobss wrote:

My only experience is that I purchased some leather from them. They were very competitive.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 07 May 2018, 10:34 pm

Not making any effort or have any intention of being anything other than nice...
That was just a (meager) attempt at a funny...but \on the mobile the page locks & emoji's dont always open up...
I even figured he'd have opened the page before your post & may not have seen it...understandable...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 08 May 2018, 8:43 am

Stix that was just my meager attempt at Funny too. Guess I have a long way to go.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Bigjobss » 08 May 2018, 6:12 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Bigjobss wrote:

My only experience is that I purchased some leather from them. They were very competitive.

FYI they dont accept fresh hides for tanning.
I'll be near ballarat for work on Thursday so its worked out anyway
Bigjobss

Post by duncan61 » 08 May 2018, 7:14 pm

So will you do it yourself???
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Bigjobss » 08 May 2018, 7:55 pm

duncan61 wrote:So will you do it yourself???

Nah for $95 I wont waste my time, materials alone would be almost half of that, no brainer for me
Bigjobss

Post by Bigjobss » 10 May 2018, 12:43 pm

Another update:
Dropped the hide off this morning and had a great chat with the folk at the tannery, very good experience and helpfull hints.

Couple learnings to share:
Salt! In their experience salt the hide asap to kill the bacteria the causes hair slip.

Freezer? Not unless salted and even then their experience has been that frozen hides have the highest failures. Also in their experience fallow hides are very easily damaged by freezing due to the structure of the follicles.

Fleshing out? They will do it as part of the service, just remove the big chunks of fat and meat so the salt penetrates and send the hide to them and they will do the rest.

I lookee at a pile of hides in their shop and they looked incredible, super soft and a nice subtle blue tinge.
Will update when I receive mine back but if they deliver on quality I see it as $95 very well spent for anyone wanting a hide tanned.
Bigjobss

Post by Bigjobss » 10 May 2018, 9:15 pm

bentaz wrote:Sounds like your on a winner then!

I hope so, it was my first fallow and want to have something in the home for my daughter, important life lessons and all that parental stuff.
Bigjobss

Post by NTSOG » 13 Jun 2018, 5:17 pm

The tannery near Ballarat is:

GREENHALGH TANNERY
PTY. LTD.
856 GREENHALGHS RD
BUNKERS HILL
VICTORIA 3352
AUSTRALIA.

Phone: 03 5342 4304

Their internet address did not work for me, but I have visited the place. The farm butcher who kills for us tells me that most [cow] hides go overseas to China and similar places nowadays.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 20 Jun 2018, 11:40 pm

Thats the one.
They now have two hides of mine and both are due back in around 2 weeks.
I will post photos and concluding remarks on my experience.
Bigjobss

Post by Bigjobss » 18 Jul 2018, 3:55 pm

20180718_154034.jpg
20180718_154034.jpg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 7321 times

20180718_154042.jpg
20180718_154042.jpg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 7321 times

20180718_154006.jpg
20180718_154006.jpg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 7321 times

Hides back today and all good, happy with the results and $190 for the pair.
Bit whiffy from tanning solution but that will pass, and if you want a super smooth underside I would recommend cleaning as much sinew off as possible, I sent the second one less clean than the first and it shows, but I guess it doesnt really matter as no one will see it.
Highly reccomended service!
Bigjobss

Post by Stix » 18 Jul 2018, 7:38 pm

They look great BJss...!!!

You mention removing sinew...do you mean flesh/fat etc...?
If so, i thought they would flesh it out for you...?

And is the second one a goat...?
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey