storage while hunting.

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

storage while hunting.

Post by scoobs » 15 May 2018, 8:01 pm

evening all

seems to be a bit of a grey area from my research.
if i was going out hunting in say, a state forest, and took more than 1 firearm, would the additional firearm need to be stored in a locked box attached to the vehicle if i am out in the scrub with the other? or is locked away out of sight in a locked vehicle enough?

might call the registry etc to find out but thought you guys may have some advice on this

cheers, :drinks:
scoobs
Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: storage while hunting.

Post by Archie » 15 May 2018, 9:06 pm

The regulations are silent but the NSW guidelines are pretty clear, if you are going to leave a firearm in a vehicle - anywhere - then it’s in a locked box attached to the vehicle. And if I were you I’d remove the bolt as well, or if a shotgun or lever put a trigger lock on it. The legal test is, did you take all reasonable precautions to avoid it getting stolen. Fact of the matter is, if it gets nicked from your car you aren’t going to enjoy it but if all they had to do was smash the window to get it, you’ll struggle to convince anyone you took all reasonable precautions.

Speaking for myself though, I usually just take one gun. Call the registry but unfortunately they usually won’t give a definitive answer.

Probably best guide is this, note the bit about transporting cat A and B, and if you are leaving them unattended you need to behave as if they were cat D

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/as ... _Sheet.pdf
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 15 May 2018, 9:59 pm

scoobs wrote:evening all

seems to be a bit of a grey area from my research.
if i was going out hunting in say, a state forest, and took more than 1 firearm, would the additional firearm need to be stored in a locked box attached to the vehicle if i am out in the scrub with the other? or is locked away out of sight in a locked vehicle enough?

might call the registry etc to find out but thought you guys may have some advice on this

cheers, :drinks:
scoobs

If I were going to take two firearms into the bush, the spare would most likely be a .22LR or a shotgun, and it would go on my back, preferably broken down in my pack. But it's far easier to simply take two loads for the one rifle. Full-power for the main target or longer ranges and reduced loads for ferals or food.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 15 May 2018, 10:01 pm

As casual as my personal attitude is to rules I would not leave a firearm in a vehicle in a state forest.As usual the the blade has got it spot on
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by AusTac » 15 May 2018, 10:14 pm

Yeah i only take one, would be great to have calibre/type options but alot of "what if's " run through my head, pretty easy for someone to do a smash and grab in SF, however if you have a trayback/tub on a ute you may have options but its on you to keep firearms safe at all times
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Archie » 16 May 2018, 7:39 am

FWIW I agree with what the other guys said. Guidelines are what I posted but really, you're just asking for trouble leaving one unattended on public land. Guidelines also point out you need to give consideration to the overall security of the vehicle itself, and left alone for a day in the middle of nowhere probably doesn't cut it. Even properly locked up, it doesn't take much effort to bust open the lock on a lockbox.

If you really want to take two, take Blade's advice and make the second something you can break down for your pack.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 16 May 2018, 8:50 am

bentaz wrote:Buy a combo gun!
http://m.usedguns.com.au/Product_Desc.aspx?Pid=121757
Can kill anything in Australia with that gun and the right selection of ammo.

Or maybe this one?
Attachments
3e985ce10fb5304696584bac386045c9-1.jpg
3e985ce10fb5304696584bac386045c9-1.jpg (30.87 KiB) Viewed 2321 times
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey