A big day...

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

A big day...

Post by Rod_outbak » 16 May 2018, 5:57 am

Folks,

From about 15 years ago; apologies for the poor image quality, but digital cameras have improved out of sight the past 15 years.

Met this HUUUUGE black boar on the edge of some Gidyea scrub, while out driving around with a mate.

Shot him with the .223, and he bolted into the scrub.
My mate and I could hear Mr Porkey knocking saplings over, while we stood out there and crapped ourselves.
We had the .223, a .30-30, and my revolver (Colt Anaconda in .45LC), and listening to the trees being dozed over, we felt seriously under-gunned.

Once all the noise had died away, we very gingerly followed the pigs tracks into the scrub.
Talk about freaking nervous!
[Best description I have is 'As bombey as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs..]

Found Mr Porkey; about 80 metres in.
He'd been heart-shot, and was 'Dead Pork Walking', while making all the noise.

Likely not an overlly large pig for grain country, but for our part of the world, freaking huge.
I'd guess roughly around 110kgs?
Usually, our largest pigs are around 80 kgs.

For reference, the Anaconda had a 6" barrel, and was around 12" long from end to end.

Cheers,

Rod.
Attachments
Big Pig 2.JPG
Big Pig 2.JPG (25.88 KiB) Viewed 3610 times
Big Pig 1.JPG
Big Pig 1.JPG (39.07 KiB) Viewed 3610 times
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: A big day...

Post by Daddybang » 16 May 2018, 6:35 am

Nice pig rod :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
We're in the same boat size wise up here...its very rare to find a +100kg pig
Good work :D :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by southwest shooter » 16 May 2018, 10:36 am

Sweet .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 16 May 2018, 2:51 pm

bentaz wrote:Bloody big pig, well done mate.
Do people eat feral pigs?

Yes
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Rod_outbak » 16 May 2018, 3:03 pm

[quote="bentaz"]Bloody big pig, well done mate.
Do people eat feral pigs?[/quote]

Well.... I wouldnt.
At least NOT from these parts.
[MIGHT be a different story from grain-growing areas??]
Vast majority of the food pigs around here eat, is carrion(no crops), and so that puts me off.

However, biggest reason, is how many roo shooters I know, ended up with brucelosis after gutting a pig & taking it to the game-meat box.
I know people who HAVE eaten feral pig meat from this area, but I'd be more comfortable clearing my firearms by test-firing them against my foot, than I would eating local feral pork.
If you can catch and raise the piglet, inoculate it, and balance it's diet, then Happy Days!
But if we are talking 'straight off the hoof from the hunt', then NO Thanks.

[Scarey thing is, the Brucelosis is just one of the joys of feral pigs. After reading about Leptospirosis, and how it's spread in the urine of pigs (also known as swineherders fever), I'm a bit hesitant to swim in a muddy dam or waterhole...]

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 16 May 2018, 3:09 pm

Not my idea of a good feed as has been said there's a bit of risk..having said that the murri's up here eatem. :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 16 May 2018, 6:18 pm

I have in the past eaten very small pigs but would not eat the bigger pigs like cuzzybro does :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 17 May 2018, 9:46 pm

The high country mountain porkers in general are reasonably clean.

Best practice if you plan on eating some is to well and truly freeze the meat first (apparently that kills one of the bad bugs) then after thawing,
make sure it is well cooked.

I've eaten em in the past, and don't have brucellosis, or problems from Lepto.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 17 May 2018, 10:06 pm

The best pork I've ever eaten was a beagle-sized pig I ran down and caught under spotlight out at Goondiwindi 30+ years ago. One of our group was a butcher and he dressed it and cooked it slowly for hours in a camp oven the next day . The meat fell off the bone and it was so 'gamey' and full of flavour it ruined me for the pork you can buy at the shops.
Member-Deleted

Post by bigfellascott » 17 May 2018, 10:08 pm

We ate some wild pig at one of the AHN get togethers, was yummy (cooked on a spit with venison roast)
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Southpaw » 17 May 2018, 10:55 pm

Great pics, shame we don’t have pigs down here (apart from the odd escapee that is). Just wondering what the law is re. the revolver? I’m assuming you’re in Queensland? Are you a professional shooter? So can you hunt with the revolver or just have it to finish a pig off?
Cheers
Southpaw
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Rod_outbak » 18 May 2018, 6:09 am

Southpaw,

Yep; Outback QLD.
Primary Producers licence; allows me to carry on our property, for destruction of vermin.
[This type of handgun licence is under a big cloud at present, with QLD WL doing some rather underhand stuff about cancelling some renewals on some very vague justifications.. Not looking forward to my next renewal in 2 years time.]

Sadly, the Anaconda got chopped in one of the buy-backs a couple of years later. If it had been the .44 magnum version, I might have considered keeping it, but the .45 LC wasnt quite as awe-inspiring.
AND; it was a big gun to carry.
Besides, I kept the 1911 auto(.45acp), and with a .22 conversion, I effectively have 2 guns in 1.
Heck; if I get a .38-45 barrel made for it, I'll have 3 guns in 1.

As far as hunting is concerned, as a Primary Producer, I am obligated to control vermin on my property. Being roughly 300 square kms in size, it's up to me whether I hunt with the handgun, or use it to finish them off.
Not a professional shooter, but I shoot a lot.

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 18 May 2018, 6:35 am

Rod_outbak wrote:
As far as hunting is concerned, as a Primary Producer, I am obligated to control vermin on my property. Being roughly 300 square kms in size, it's up to me whether I hunt with the handgun, or use it to finish them off.
Not a professional shooter, but I shoot a lot.

Cheers,

Rod.

300 skms.....? I can see a lot of "friend" requests coming your way!!!! :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 18 May 2018, 8:37 am

Yeah.... once you exclude all the areas where you rarely see anything worth pokking, you find it isnt all that big.
A lot of driving, for not a lot of pokking.
Pretty average property size for this part of the world.

I regularly get hunters visit, and plenty of times they leave without a lot of success.
[Mind you; a lot of them simply seem to do it for the break from their normal life; pokking something doesnt seem to be that big a worry.]

Out walking at sunrise this morning, and saw 2 large pigs about 500 metres distant. Didnt bother shooting, as they were trotting back to the creeks, and unlikely I'd hit one. But, I suspect they are cleaning up a few of the Pokk-Hoppys that have demised around the homestead the past few weeks. That suggests they will return, so looking forward to the next few days. Nothing better than some hot pork at sunrise; makes up for the cold...
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 19 May 2018, 5:22 am

All the bugs and bad parasites are in the guts. The meat, provided it's well cooked is safe to eat. The skin could be another story.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey