Question for duck hunters...

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Question for duck hunters...

Post by Archie » 17 May 2018, 1:23 pm

I'm hoping, next year, to get down to Victoria for the duck season. Never hunted ducks in my life. Long term planning wise, I have a few questions?

- Can you hunt ducks without a dog?
- I have a 12g beretta. It's not one of the super fancy ones but they still aren't cheap and I'd rather not warp the stock. Am I worrying over nothing with regard to risk of getting it wet? Should I get something with a synthetic stock? Bit tricky also, because I'm pretty short and had to get the stock cut down quite a bit to fit me, so worried if I get a synthetic I won't be able to hit any thing.

Cheers in advance.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Question for duck hunters...

Post by No1Mk3 » 17 May 2018, 2:02 pm

G'day Archie,
Shotguns, like all hunting arms, were made to get wet, dirty, dusty and still do the job. Your Beretta would probably enjoy getting wet like it was made to, especially with some ducks in the bag! Wipe your gun over with an oil rag or lanolin cloth each day after use, run an oily patch through the bores and clean it when you get home. Dogs are a great bonus, but not absolutely needed if you are prepared to wade out or preferably row out in a tinnie or a canoe to fetch your birds. Team up with some experienced hunters and I'm sure you will have the best time, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 17 May 2018, 4:48 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Archie,
Shotguns, like all hunting arms, were made to get wet, dirty, dusty and still do the job. Your Beretta would probably enjoy getting wet like it was made to, especially with some ducks in the bag! Wipe your gun over with an oil rag or lanolin cloth each day after use, run an oily patch through the bores and clean it when you get home. Dogs are a great bonus, but not absolutely needed if you are prepared to wade out or preferably row out in a tinnie or a canoe to fetch your birds. Team up with some experienced hunters and I'm sure you will have the best time, Cheers.

What he said.
I dont have a dog or synthetic stock and that hasnt stopped me getting my bag yet! Although my mates lab has got me thinking...

Ive dropped my Miroku fully into the water, a thorough clean and its good to go, do you stop hunting if it starts raining?
Just get out there and have a crack, it's a very rewarding experience and genuine duck hunters are some of the best folk going around IMO.
Bigjobss

Post by Archie » 17 May 2018, 9:27 pm

Thanks guys. I’ve never worried too much about getting my guns scratched or dusty when hunting, they are tools to do a job after all, but I’ve always been a bit worried about getting them wet. Will take all the advice onboard.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 19 May 2018, 10:16 am

I've never hunted ducks with a dog myself
most of the duck hunting places wont be that deep you can walk them with waders on eg reedy lake
or I have a grappling hook type thingy made from a stick and coat hanger wire with a float that I drag across dams to retrieve ducks
on the deeper lakes ect its a good idea to get the wind into your face and when shot they will drift your way
decoys are a good idea, I'm no expert but a hook or v config gets them landing in the middle of your set and into the wind
if you are hitting dams they will be on the side against the wind with the wind into there faces
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 20 May 2018, 6:38 am

marksman wrote: I have a grappling hook type thingy made from a stick and coat hanger wire with a float that I drag across dams to retrieve ducks

Interesting idea. Have U got a pic?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 20 May 2018, 10:55 am

sorry Oldbloke I was being lazy

the idea came about a few years ago when I took a farmers son with me down to some huge dams
we shot a heap off one dam and some were still in the water floating about, so we flipped a coin on who would go for a swim
heads I win tails you loose I said, so he lost the toss, stripped down to his jocks and in he went mumbling that he recond I had conned him somehow
anyway after a short time he was in trouble and I went in after him, while walking back to the farm he was telling me he was going to tell his dad on me
I didn't realise being from a farm he would not be a strong swimmer in deep water :unknown: :lol: :lol: :lol:
we still have a laugh about it now :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by duckhead » 02 Jun 2018, 2:00 pm

Hope you do get down to Vic for its duck season. Duck hunting is a life long passion down here.

Dont need a dog. Actually I would not advise getting one until you are more experineced. Learning the art of duck hunting is also a life long exercise. So the first few years your better off with no dog.

Alot of the top duck hunting areas are the flooded swamps which are not that deep. So no dog required.

BUT once you are comfortable with your skill level and knowledge of swamps I would definelty get one. They improve your whole experience from companionship to ducks in the bag to retriving wounded birs to dispatch humanily.

Forget your fear about damaging your beretta. Forget cost. forget everything other than a gun that fits you perfectly and you can shoot well with. Your better off with a expensive gun that you can shoot with that has marks and scrathes than a cheap gun that doesnt fit you and cant shoot with. Theres no point having a good gun in a safe not getting used.

Like "Bigjobss' I have dropped my gun completely in water (flipped my tinnie and gun went to bottom of lake, 2m deep). It cleaned up perfectly and still use it. I got my gun when I was 15 and still use it now 20 years on. Has seen plenty of duck hunts.

Good luck. Hope you get into Vic Duck shooting.

PS where are you from NSW??
duckhead
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by duckhead » 02 Jun 2018, 2:01 pm

Hope you do get down to Vic for its duck season. Duck hunting is a life long passion down here.

Dont need a dog. Actually I would not advise getting one until you are more experineced. Learning the art of duck hunting is also a life long exercise. So the first few years your better off with no dog.

Alot of the top duck hunting areas are the flooded swamps which are not that deep. So no dog required.

BUT once you are comfortable with your skill level and knowledge of swamps I would definelty get one. They improve your whole experience from companionship to ducks in the bag to retriving wounded birs to dispatch humanily.

Forget your fear about damaging your beretta. Forget cost. forget everything other than a gun that fits you perfectly and you can shoot well with. Your better off with a expensive gun that you can shoot with that has marks and scrathes than a cheap gun that doesnt fit you and cant shoot with. Theres no point having a good gun in a safe not getting used.

Like "Bigjobss' I have dropped my gun completely in water (flipped my tinnie and gun went to bottom of lake, 2m deep). It cleaned up perfectly and still use it. I got my gun when I was 15 and still use it now 20 years on. Has seen plenty of duck hunts.

Good luck. Hope you get into Vic Duck shooting.

PS where are you from NSW??
duckhead
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey