A few pics from my weekend getaway

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

A few pics from my weekend getaway

Post by Bent Arrow » 24 May 2018, 6:42 pm

Just a few pics from a short trip away. Got up to a favourite property in the Flinders Ranges for a few day and rounded out the trip with a few hours of contemplation

_20180524_175735.JPG
_20180524_175735.JPG (577.6 KiB) Viewed 5196 times

A couple of billies at different ends of the property that look like a father-son pair. This old fella was pretty tied up with arthritis and had a broken off horn

_20180524_175524.JPG
_20180524_175524.JPG (539.9 KiB) Viewed 5196 times

This one was in good condition

_20180524_175705.JPG
_20180524_175705.JPG (589.55 KiB) Viewed 5196 times

I got a couple of nannies for meat including this one which I took the legs and back straps from. Bound to be controversial on this forum because I head shot it but didn't take all of it off the property :sarcasm: I filled my freezer and gave the eagles, crows and magpies something to squabble over.

_20180524_180701.JPG
_20180524_180701.JPG (566.75 KiB) Viewed 5196 times

And squeezed in a bit of gong banging at 300 m, a distance I don't have a safe place to practice at close to home

_20180524_175557.JPG
_20180524_175557.JPG (564.77 KiB) Viewed 5196 times
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Re: A few pics from my weekend getaway

Post by SCJ429 » 24 May 2018, 6:58 pm

Nice work, as old stinky goes he was a good looking fella. Are you tanning the hides or just took the meat from the nannies?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 24 May 2018, 7:03 pm

Looks good mate,nice up there this time of year
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 24 May 2018, 7:56 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Nice work, as old stinky goes he was a good looking fella. Are you tanning the hides or just took the meat from the nannies?

Thanks. Just meat from the nannies and a bit of culling billiies out the back of the property where they don't round them up
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 24 May 2018, 7:57 pm

bigpete wrote:Looks good mate,nice up there this time of year

Great time of year to be up there but very dry at the moment
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by marksman » 25 May 2018, 5:23 pm

looks like you had a great time :drinks:

shame on you not taking the whole stinky home and feeding the vultures
and using a head shot
you beast, shame shame shame
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 25 May 2018, 5:49 pm

love your work BA, been nailing a few goats for the freezer myself lately. they are a lot tastier than i was led to believe. :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 25 May 2018, 5:52 pm

what rifle and caliber ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 25 May 2018, 8:27 pm

I tanned a hide but after tanning and washing it several times it still smells. The Mrs doesn't want it inside. I will have to treat it with Febreeze or something similar.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 25 May 2018, 8:37 pm

Looks like a great spot to perch BA. :thumbsup: :drinks:
And don't worry about leaving some for the crows. .....ya gotta keep"em fat for Bigpete!!!! :lol: :drinks: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bent Arrow » 25 May 2018, 8:38 pm

bigrich wrote:what rifle and caliber ?

Tikka T3 25-06 :drinks:
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 25 May 2018, 8:39 pm

Daddybang wrote:Looks like a great spot to perch BA. :thumbsup: :drinks:
And don't worry about leaving some for the crows. .....ya gotta keep"em fat for Bigpete!!!! :lol: :drinks: :drinks:

He'd blow a gasket up there
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 25 May 2018, 8:56 pm

bigrich wrote:love your work BA, been nailing a few goats for the freezer myself lately. they are a lot tastier than i was led to believe. :thumbsup:

Young nannies taste fantastic.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by tom604 » 26 May 2018, 10:10 pm

love the Flinders, climbing those fecking hills not so much, never taken the back straps, always seemed a lot of work for a little bit of meat, may have to start taking a few and see if its worth it. great photos :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 26 May 2018, 10:32 pm

thought your rifle looked tikka or sako BA . 25-06 is a great old time long distance round hey ? 6.5x55 in a controlled feed model 70 chinwester is my go-to rifle .i drive from brisbane down to tenterfeild for my goats. hunt the highland ridge lines. beautifull country.
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Bent Arrow » 26 May 2018, 10:32 pm

tom604 wrote:love the Flinders, climbing those fecking hills not so much, never taken the back straps, always seemed a lot of work for a little bit of meat, may have to start taking a few and see if its worth it. great photos :thumbsup:

Do you take any meat?
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by tom604 » 26 May 2018, 11:15 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:
tom604 wrote:love the Flinders, climbing those fecking hills not so much, never taken the back straps, always seemed a lot of work for a little bit of meat, may have to start taking a few and see if its worth it. great photos :thumbsup:

Do you take any meat?

back legs,quick and easy :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 26 May 2018, 11:31 pm

tom604 wrote:
Bent Arrow wrote:

Do you take any meat?

back legs,quick and easy :thumbsup:

Ahh yeah. I take all four and the straps. I reckon it's definitely worth the effort
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Stix » 27 May 2018, 12:13 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:Ahh yeah. I take all four and the straps. I reckon it's definitely worth the effort

Definately...!!! :thumbsup:

Looks like a great time in a great place.!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 27 May 2018, 12:34 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:
Daddybang wrote:Looks like a great spot to perch BA. :thumbsup: :drinks:

He'd blow a gasket up there

Wah wah wah lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 27 May 2018, 9:49 pm

Take 1/2 a cup of bread crumbs, add a table spoon or so of seasoning and the juice and zest of one lemon, and a teaspoon of honey. Mix together. Take boned shoulder or leg and roll leg around stuffing mix. Wrap with several rashers of bacon and tie tightly to hold moisture into the leg/shoulder of goat.

_20180527_210947.JPG
_20180527_210947.JPG (690.29 KiB) Viewed 4303 times

Stick in the Webber for 1-1.5 hours depending on size of roast and how hot your weber is. Let it rest for a good 10 minutes, carve it up and serve with roast potatoes, pumpkin and gravy. Gone......didn't even remember to take a photo........
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Jun 2018, 6:11 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:Just a few pics from a short trip away. Got up to a favourite property in the Flinders Ranges for a few day and rounded out the trip with a few hours of contemplation

_20180524_175735.JPG

A couple of billies at different ends of the property that look like a father-son pair. This old fella was pretty tied up with arthritis and had a broken off horn

_20180524_175524.JPG

This one was in good condition

_20180524_175705.JPG

I got a couple of nannies for meat including this one which I took the legs and back straps from. Bound to be controversial on this forum because I head shot it but didn't take all of it off the property :sarcasm: I filled my freezer and gave the eagles, crows and magpies something to squabble over.

_20180524_180701.JPG

And squeezed in a bit of gong banging at 300 m, a distance I don't have a safe place to practice at close to home

_20180524_175557.JPG

Nice, :thumbsup: I like the photo through the scope, for someone like myself that is technically retarded, how did you take it and with what?
Member-Deleted

Post by Bent Arrow » 13 Jun 2018, 9:23 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:
Bent Arrow wrote:

Nice, :thumbsup: I like the photo through the scope, for someone like myself that is technically retarded, how did you take it and with what?

Just with my phone, takes a bit of stuffing around to work out where to hold the camera lens but once you work it out it's pretty easy
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 13 Jun 2018, 9:35 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:Just with my phone, takes a bit of stuffing around to work out where to hold the camera lens but once you work it out it's pretty easy

Thanks for that, :thumbsup: I will give it a try.
Member-Deleted

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control