Too Much Magnification For Hunting

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Too Much Magnification For Hunting

Post by SCJ429 » 27 May 2018, 8:02 pm

I was watching a YouTube clip about deer hunting and the presenters were having a laugh about hunters using a variable scope with the minimum magnification of 8.5 power. I thought they must be talking about me, I use a 8.5 - 25 Leupold. I have not thought it was a problem to find what you are looking for with 8.5 magnification. I use a 12x on my rimfire and use two eyes open to find my target as close as 25 metres. Do others have problems with the lowest power on their variable and am I using too much magnification?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Re: Too Much Magnification For Hunting

Post by JimTom » 27 May 2018, 8:09 pm

Mate I think it’s what you’re comfortable with. If 8.5 works for you at 25m then who cares what others think.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 27 May 2018, 8:12 pm

Lol. I have 8x on my long range guns :D
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 27 May 2018, 8:38 pm

I like the high magnification as well. I often have it turned up higher even for close shots. I do wind it back for off hand as it appears to wobble less. :lol:
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Bigjobss » 27 May 2018, 8:39 pm

I have a 3-12 on my deer setup and find I like walking around with it around 6x
Bigjobss

Post by SCJ429 » 27 May 2018, 8:43 pm

I do find it difficult to find things at 200 or 300 metres with a scope on 20 or 25x. I wind back and when settled, wind back up. Last night I saw a fox about 40 metres away, right on dusk. My scope was on about 20x and I used my non dominate eye to bring the cross hair to him, blinked off that eye to get my sight picture and took the shot. It would have been easier if the scope was on a lower power. If I used a fixed lower power scope I find things over 100 metres away look tiny.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 27 May 2018, 8:51 pm

One wonders how anyone ever shot with iron sights....lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 27 May 2018, 9:28 pm

Sounds like you're using the LR series Leupold which are a quality piece of glass. I use a Mk.4 LR/T 8.5-25 on the 6.5-300 Weatherby but plan to swap it over to a VX2 4-12x50 when I get some time. For hunting I prefer fixed parallax and 12x is plenty for what I'm usually shooting at. If you're comfortable and it works then I wouldn't give crap about what others say.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Archie » 27 May 2018, 9:33 pm

Wow... I don’t think I’ve ever shot anything other than paper at more than 5x and I kind of regret that the scope on my 308 only goes down to 3x. My scoped .22 tops out at 7x. Personally I don’t know how you can find the target with such a narrow field of view even with two eyes open, but if you can then it must be working for you so why would you change it?
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Archie » 27 May 2018, 9:55 pm

Wow... I don’t think I’ve ever shot anything other than paper at more than 5x and I kind of regret that the scope on my 308 only goes down to 3x. My scoped .22 tops out at 7x. Personally I don’t know how you can find the target with such a narrow field of view even with two eyes open, but if you can then it must be working for you so why would you change it?
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 27 May 2018, 10:00 pm

Depends on the terrain your hunting in, wide open ish plains and dispersed bushland you'd be fine, where i hunt its quick close shots so a form of holographic is what i find best
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Gaznazdiak » 27 May 2018, 10:05 pm

The most important question is, are you hitting what you're aiming at.
If so and you're happy with what you're using, sweet.
I have a 10-50x60 Hawke on my
223 and I only use max zoom for spotting, and the 10x for twilight, 20x-40x for actually shooting in daylight.
Still thinking about putting a dot on there for short range.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 27 May 2018, 10:12 pm

If ya happy to use it do so, don't worry about what other twats think. :thumbsup: I used to like high mag and and side focus but i've since gone back to a lower mag scope setup and find it better, does that mean it's a better option for everyone, no it's just what suits me at the present time, it may change but so far I'm happy with the decision. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by marksman » 28 May 2018, 8:39 am

it doesn't depend on the magnification of the scope it depends on the type of hunting you are doing?
if you are spot and stalking or sitting and waiting at distance you would want a bit more magnification
if you are stalking through the bush of course you would not want a scope at higher magnification
I know hunters who use 2-4x scopes to stalk through the bush but shots are very short, I would not see 8.5 as to high for doing the same myself
everyone has an opinion, do what works for you, at least you are doing it :thumbsup:
if you are filling the freezer who cares :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 28 May 2018, 8:57 am

As has been said if you are successful with what ya have don't fix what ain't broke!! :thumbsup: :drinks:
Ps I have two 3-9x that are pretty much never moved off 4x. And a set 6x but I don't get much chance to stretch beyond 120mtr. :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 28 May 2018, 10:13 am

One of the Leupolds is on a 338/378 and it is not used for close range, lots of dangerous game (rabbits) out this way. I also use a NF 12-42 on a 223 which would not be ideal in dense scrub. In the right conditions, varmiting, it is an awesome setup.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey