MSRC SSAA NATIONAL LEVER ACTION SILHOUETTE CHAMPIONSHIPS

Target shooting & range information. Ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

MSRC SSAA NATIONAL LEVER ACTION SILHOUETTE CHAMPIONSHIPS

Post by bladeracer » 03 Dec 2017, 4:59 pm

Okay, I'm thinking it might be possible to get to the lever action silhouette comp at Little River the first week in May.
I've emailed the club secretary for entry forms and details but thought discussing it here might also be helpful for anybody else interested.
I've never even watched a metallic silhouette shoot and haven't shot a rifle comp since 1983 when I was part of Wesley College ARMY Cadet small-bore team. If I do manage to make it happen I'd most likely go up in the bus and just live there for the duration of the event. So, I'd prefer to do as many events as possible while I'm there. Getting as much range time as possible in addition to the comp shoots would also be a bonus.

From what I've managed to work out so far it looks like there are three disciplines and I should be allowed to enter all three:
CLAS - 40rds, 200m, no scope, full-size MS target. (would likely buy a .30-30 or .45/70 for this)
Pistol Cartridge CLAS - 40rds, 100m, no scope, half-size 10mm MS target. (Marlin 1894 .44 Magnum)
Smallbore CLAS - .22LR, 40rds, 100m, no scope, half-size MS target but thinner. (Norinco JW21)

Targets are confusing me though.
In the RMS Rulebook it lists three types of MS target:
"Centrefire" Targets are full-size (taken from the templates).
"Rimfire" Targets are one-fifth full-size targets.
"Air Rifle" Targets are one-tenth full-size targets.

I've been practicing with standard Rimfire MS one-fifth scale silhouettes at 40m, 60m, 77m and 100m.
This CLAS "Smallbore" competition appears to use thinner half-size silhouettes - 5mm ram, 7mm turkey/pig and 10mm chicken - is this correct? A 13" high by 16" wide ram at 100m?
Attachments
CLAS Rules 1.JPG
CLAS Rules 1.JPG (78.28 KiB) Viewed 158 times
CLAS Rules 2.JPG
CLAS Rules 2.JPG (123.89 KiB) Viewed 158 times
CLAS Rules 3.JPG
CLAS Rules 3.JPG (123.03 KiB) Viewed 158 times
CLAS Rules 4.JPG
CLAS Rules 4.JPG (92.54 KiB) Viewed 158 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Major General
Major General

Victoria

Re: MSRC SSAA NATIONAL LEVER ACTION SILHOUETTE CHAMPIONSHIPS

Post by Strikey » 03 Dec 2017, 5:25 pm

I shoot rifle silhouette with air, rimfire and centrefire, lever action is a bit different, only shot it twice using my 94 30/30. The class I shot in used the full size silhouettes and surprisingly my full house pig loads in the 30/30 with 150grn projectiles just knocks the rams over at 200, mostly they rocked and fell forward but if they're down it scores, maybe Gamerancher might chime in with a bit more info as I'm sure he shoots lever action along with his blackpowder :thumbsup:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 03 Dec 2017, 5:39 pm

Strikey wrote:I shoot rifle silhouette with air, rimfire and centrefire, lever action is a bit different, only shot it twice using my 94 30/30. The class I shot in used the full size silhouettes and surprisingly my full house pig loads in the 30/30 with 150grn projectiles just knocks the rams over at 200, mostly they rocked and fell forward but if they're down it scores, maybe Gamerancher might chime in with a bit more info as I'm sure he shoots lever action along with his blackpowder :thumbsup:

Thanks Strikey, that is interesting. Maybe a .45/70 is the go then and just work loads down to what is required. My shoulder hurts just thinking about shooting forty rounds of .45/70 :-)
bladeracer
Major General
Major General

Victoria

Post by groundhog » 03 Dec 2017, 10:20 pm

Hi Bladeracer

The course of fire for this Nationals will be as follows:

80 shots CLAS Rifle (Rams at 200m, Turkeys at 150m, Pigs at 100m and chickens at 50m) Targets used are full size.
I am not 100% but I am pretty certain this match is happening on the Friday.
80 CLAS Pistol Cartridge (Rams at 100m, Turkeys at 75m, Pigs at 50m and Chickens at 40m) Targets used are half sized 10mm Bisalloy. This match will be on the Saturday.
CLAS Small-bore (Rams at 100m, Turkeys at 75m, Pigs at 50m and Chickens at 40m) Targets used are half sized but are mild steel of varying thickness. This will be on the Sunday.

The Monday will be designated as an overrun day if needed.
If you haven’t shot the matches before you will enter as an ungraded competitor and your scores in the matches (specifically the highest of your 2 -40 shot matches) for each class.
As for rifles, for the rifle match a30-30, 45-70 or 44 Mag are all used successfully others used include 38-55, 35 Remington, 308 Marlin express, 338 Marlin express even 357 Mag to name a few, I personally run a 30-30 using Sierra 130 grain JHP with 32 grains of 2206h on targets out to Turkeys then use 150 grain JRN sierras on rams with the same powder charge and they don’t stand when hit.
For pistol the 44 is a good choice but be mindful that you don’t need a full strength load to take down the targets, a 22 Mag will successfully compete in pistol cal and one of our most successful competitors runs a 25-20 with 63 grain pills so you can keep recoil under control and still compete.

As for smallbore HV ammo is the way to go Federal Auto match is popular.

When it comes to ammo I usually load about 120 rounds for rifle each for myself and the missus, both of us run 30-30’s. I load about 200 rounds for each of our pistol cartridge rifles in case we have to double up, and finally just grab a box of rimfire.
In your case you have a backup available for everything except Smallbore as the 44 will work for rifle and in a pinch you can use a 22LR for pistol cal but it may stand rams.

Hope the info helps, hope to see you there.
groundhog
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 03 Dec 2017, 10:50 pm

groundhog wrote:Hi Bladeracer

The course of fire for this Nationals will be as follows:

80 shots CLAS Rifle (Rams at 200m, Turkeys at 150m, Pigs at 100m and chickens at 50m) Targets used are full size.
I am not 100% but I am pretty certain this match is happening on the Friday.
80 CLAS Pistol Cartridge (Rams at 100m, Turkeys at 75m, Pigs at 50m and Chickens at 40m) Targets used are half sized 10mm Bisalloy. This match will be on the Saturday.
CLAS Small-bore (Rams at 100m, Turkeys at 75m, Pigs at 50m and Chickens at 40m) Targets used are half sized but are mild steel of varying thickness. This will be on the Sunday.

The Monday will be designated as an overrun day if needed.
If you haven’t shot the matches before you will enter as an ungraded competitor and your scores in the matches (specifically the highest of your 2 -40 shot matches) for each class.
As for rifles, for the rifle match a30-30, 45-70 or 44 Mag are all used successfully others used include 38-55, 35 Remington, 308 Marlin express, 338 Marlin express even 357 Mag to name a few, I personally run a 30-30 using Sierra 130 grain JHP with 32 grains of 2206h on targets out to Turkeys then use 150 grain JRN sierras on rams with the same powder charge and they don’t stand when hit.
For pistol the 44 is a good choice but be mindful that you don’t need a full strength load to take down the targets, a 22 Mag will successfully compete in pistol cal and one of our most successful competitors runs a 25-20 with 63 grain pills so you can keep recoil under control and still compete.

As for smallbore HV ammo is the way to go Federal Auto match is popular.

When it comes to ammo I usually load about 120 rounds for rifle each for myself and the missus, both of us run 30-30’s. I load about 200 rounds for each of our pistol cartridge rifles in case we have to double up, and finally just grab a box of rimfire.
In your case you have a backup available for everything except Smallbore as the 44 will work for rifle and in a pinch you can use a 22LR for pistol cal but it may stand rams.

Hope the info helps, hope to see you there.

Great info Groundhog :-)
So I can enter both the CLAS and the Pistol Cartridge CLAS with the .44 Magnum?
That's mint, although it doesn't leave me an excuse to get the .45/70 - I shall have to think of another.
My current .44 Magnum load is a 240gn JHP at 1250fps is mild enough to shoot all day. I will have to put some time into building a load for accuracy though.
How many shooters normally attend?
bladeracer
Major General
Major General

Victoria

Post by groundhog » 04 Dec 2017, 6:53 am

The record for a CLAS nationals was somewhere around 70 at Rankins Springs a few years back, usually it is around 50-60.

With regards to the 44 it will certainly work in both. As discussed in a previous thread the rams are set just forward of their topple point, meaning that unless there is wind rocking the targets, if you hit a target that is rocking forwards obviously it is that much harder to knock over, so the 44 will take all of the targets. The only thing to test is the accuracy of the load out to 200m as sometimes you can find that the round slows too much and starts to yaw leading to keyholes through paper.
But once that is no longer an issue you have a good dual match rifle in a 44.
groundhog
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 04 Dec 2017, 9:39 am

With regards the .45-70 for the rifle class, yeah, go on, get one, you know you want to. Listen to those voices in your head. :twisted: :lol:

I used a Marlin Cowboy in .45-70 for it a few years ago, great rifle, very accurate, it's just that me and Marlins don't get on. :unknown:

Sold it to a mate who used it to get into selection for the Australian team. He is still using the same reduced loads that I used in it. :thumbsup:

As for the .44mag, yes it will do for both pistol caliber and rifle classes. As Groundhog says, just get a load that will hold up at 200m. We are not talking benchrest here, "minute of ram" is what is needed. Remember, this is shot offhand, unsupported. The accuracy is all in your hands, pun intended. :drinks:
Gamerancher
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 04 Dec 2017, 9:57 am

With regards camping, most of us set up camp at the range for the duration of the event. It is a three gun, three day event plus there will be a "practice" day on the Thursday. Your entry fees for the event cover all days at the range. There is usually a small fee to cover camping.
The rules allow for ungraded shooters to attend, you will earn your grade at the shoot. In the end you will be competing against shooters of similar ability for grade medals as well as overall. It would help you immensely if you could attend any silhouette shoot sometime beforehand, just to become familiar with the format and see how things work. I would suggest that you contact Mark on 0409 135740 or reltub@alphalink.com.au to see if there is a club shoot that you might be able to attend.

There is a good match on, ( albeit scoped ), at Majura ACT 20-21 January that you and your brother would be more than welcome to attend, that goes for anyone who might be interested. Don't be shy, if you have any interest in silhouette, we don't bite. It is always good to have fresh blood at the shoots........ :lol: :drinks:
Gamerancher
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Strikey » 04 Dec 2017, 7:35 pm

Gamerancher wrote:With regards camping, most of us set up camp at the range for the duration of the event. It is a three gun, three day event plus there will be a "practice" day on the Thursday. Your entry fees for the event cover all days at the range. There is usually a small fee to cover camping.
The rules allow for ungraded shooters to attend, you will earn your grade at the shoot. In the end you will be competing against shooters of similar ability for grade medals as well as overall. It would help you immensely if you could attend any silhouette shoot sometime beforehand, just to become familiar with the format and see how things work. I would suggest that you contact Mark on 0409 135740 or reltub@alphalink.com.au to see if there is a club shoot that you might be able to attend.

There is a good match on, ( albeit scoped ), at Majura ACT 20-21 January that you and your brother would be more than welcome to attend, that goes for anyone who might be interested. Don't be shy, if you have any interest in silhouette, we don't bite. It is always good to have fresh blood at the shoots........ :lol: :drinks:

Are Queenslanders allowed to attend this match at Majura???? You know we're not shy :sarcasm: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 05 Dec 2017, 9:28 am

Ex-NSWelshmen, who now have webbed feet from all the floods they live through in Qld, are always welcome, you know that Strikey. :drinks: :friends:
Gamerancher
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Return to Target shooting - Shooting ranges