Update on Long Range rimfire shoot. Video posted to youtube.

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Update on Long Range rimfire shoot. Video posted to youtube.

Post by wildcard6 » 04 Feb 2019, 7:34 pm

This is up and running now and people seem to be enjoying it. I recorded the full detail [100m, 200m and 300yd] but edited it down to just the 300yd targets. I started with not enough zoom, but it increases as it goes on, so it's possible to make out the targets and fall-of-shots. As you can tell by my reaction to a hit, it really is a rush when you drop one at that range. I get more from a falling target than gongs, and this format works pretty well because everybody mucks in and helps with target resets. I ran a 200m version shoot on Sunday Feb 3rd and we had a shooter who came and rewrote the book on what's possible. He is not only a good shot, but he was using Lapua Centre-X ammo [$18.50/packet locally] and he dropped only one point from the possible score of 120. He hit one of the 100m targets on his second shot, not first shot. A freak! Then again, I was using the wrong zero for the entire shoot [I was out by two clicks on everything] but I was too busy organising and running the shoot to work out what was wrong! Ahh! It's a fun shoot and I'll try to get it right next time. I was also using CCI standards [$5.40/packet locally], so that's another excuse...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5GFDD7t8ew
wildcard6
Private
Private
 
Posts: 52
South Australia

Re: Update on Long Range rimfire shoot. Video posted to yout

Post by SCJ429 » 16 Feb 2019, 6:52 pm

What scope do you use on your rimfire when you shoot at 300?
SCJ429
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1472
New South Wales

Re: Update on Long Range rimfire shoot. Video posted to yout

Post by bladeracer » 16 Feb 2019, 7:40 pm

SCJ429 wrote:What scope do you use on your rimfire when you shoot at 300?


I use the AR Optics 4.5-18x40.
Zeroing in the bottom of the scope (using a canted rail) easily gives enough turret adjustment for 300m, and well beyond. If you want maximum adjustment determine how much elevation adjustment the scope has in total, and use a rail that is a half that - plus whatever elevation you need for zeroing. The AR has 105MoA so I set the rings at 55MoA. This lets me zero around 50m and still use the full adjustment. If I want to go out to 500m I need to zero at 100m at the bottom of the scope. With CCI SV it's about 8MoA drop from 50m to 100m so I'd set the rings at 60-65MoA for 500m shooting.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 5735
Victoria

Re: Update on Long Range rimfire shoot. Video posted to yout

Post by ClaytonT88 » 16 Feb 2019, 8:11 pm

Awesome, I'd be keen for something like this once I've got a set up figured out.
Easy come, easy go.

Tikka T1X 22LR - VX Freedom 3-9X40
User avatar
ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 143
South Australia

Re: Update on Long Range rimfire shoot. Video posted to yout

Post by deye243 » 16 Feb 2019, 9:08 pm

I fitted these dials to nd 4.5-14×40AO I can just make it to 300 does anyone know if there is a 20moa rail for these LA101s .......

Screenshot_20190216-220449.jpg
Screenshot_20190216-220449.jpg (508.28 KiB) Viewed 546 times
deye243
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2
 
Posts: 1006
Victoria

Re: Update on Long Range rimfire shoot. Video posted to yout

Post by bladeracer » 16 Feb 2019, 9:30 pm

deye243 wrote:I fitted these dials to nd 4.5-14×40AO I can just make it to 300 does anyone know if there is a 20moa rail for these LA101s .......


Do you know if a Lithgow accepts a standard rail from something else?
I have EGW 20MoA rails on some of my Rugers, but for the Target I'm just using adjustable rings. The only time they moved was when I dropped the rifle off my bench, it landed on top of the elevation turret and collapsed the rear ring a bit so I had to adjust it.

EGW don't list Lithgow but they might fit a different rail.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 5735
Victoria

Re: Update on Long Range rimfire shoot. Video posted to yout

Post by bladeracer » 16 Feb 2019, 9:37 pm

Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 5735
Victoria

Re: Update on Long Range rimfire shoot. Video posted to yout

Post by deye243 » 16 Feb 2019, 10:03 pm

Thanks
deye243
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2
 
Posts: 1006
Victoria

Re: Update on Long Range rimfire shoot. Video posted to yout

Post by bladeracer » 16 Feb 2019, 11:20 pm

I went back through my Ebay history and found that the rings I'm using are SPORTSMATCH ATP66 adjustable rings.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SPORTSMATCH-ATP66-Scope-Mounts-for-30mm-tubes-adjustable-for-height-and-windage/291306870964

This is the same place I got mine, but mine were slightly cheaper two years ago.

I'm waiting on two adjustable one-piece mounts though.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 5735
Victoria

Re: Update on Long Range rimfire shoot. Video posted to yout

Post by TassieTiger » 17 Feb 2019, 3:01 am

How the heck are you seeing a small target at 300 yards through the AR scope ? I’ve got one on my 223 that’s about to be scrapped due to the cross hairs concealing my targets at 200...at 300 I can only imagine.
Tikka .260 (custom)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 28’
Sauer 30-06
Howa 300 win mag.
TassieTiger
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 
Posts: 1664
Tasmania

Re: Update on Long Range rimfire shoot. Video posted to yout

Post by bladeracer » 17 Feb 2019, 3:17 am

TassieTiger wrote:How the heck are you seeing a small target at 300 yards through the AR scope ? I’ve got one on my 223 that’s about to be scrapped due to the cross hairs concealing my targets at 200...at 300 I can only imagine.


No problem at all, the crosshair is only 0.25MoA in thickness. At 300yds that covers just 19mm of your target - the width of a piece of insulation tape. What sort of targets are you shooting at?

A mate of mine just bought a pair of Athlons and I think they're barely usable for anything except shooting paper, the crosshair is so fine that it totally disappears against a background of grass or trees.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 5735
Victoria

Re: Update on Long Range rimfire shoot. Video posted to yout

Post by TassieTiger » 17 Feb 2019, 3:19 am

I’ve been using high vis 3 inch orange decals - with the centre decal blacked out for targeting purposes - 24mm diameter.
I’ve found the cross hairs completely obscure that 24mm dot at 190m and the bullet drop compensator dots, block out maybe 2/3 of the entire 3 inch target ? Or there anouts.
Tikka .260 (custom)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 28’
Sauer 30-06
Howa 300 win mag.
TassieTiger
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 
Posts: 1664
Tasmania

Re: Update on Long Range rimfire shoot. Video posted to yout

Post by bladeracer » 17 Feb 2019, 3:23 am

TassieTiger wrote:I’ve been using high vis 3 inch orange decals - with the centre decal blacked out for targeting purposes - 24mm diameter.
I’ve found the cross hairs completely obscure that 24mm dot at 190m and the bullet drop compensator dots, block out maybe 2/3 of the entire 3 inch target ? Or there anouts.


I use 16mm adhesive dots for targets.

I agree that the hold-over dots are large, but they're not designed for precision shooting at small targets, they're designed for snap-shooting at human-sized targets. The dots are 1MoA so would cover three-iinches at 300yds.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 5735
Victoria

Re: Update on Long Range rimfire shoot. Video posted to yout

Post by wildcard6 » 18 Feb 2019, 7:26 pm

It took a very long time before anyone posted a reply on this subject, so I haven't checked in in a few weeks, but to answer question #1, I am using a Vortex Diamondback 4-16X with First Focal Plane reticle. Being a 30mm tube scope, there is lots of adjustment available simply by winding up, but I did two other things to help. Number one is to have a 100m zero instead of a more traditional 50m zero with rimfires. The second thing is that I have installed 25MOA ring inserts [instead of sourcing/fitting a rail]. These things work really well. They're designed for use on 'drooper' air guns, but work just as well on rimfires to give you even more UP adjustment. With this set-up, I can still wind DOWN to have a 50m zero if I ever need to [but I don't]. The FFP reticle took some getting used to, but once you figure out what it can do for you at long range, it all makes sense. My only disappointment is that I couldn't find an MOA scope and ended up with a Mil-Rad scope, which is quite a lot coarser in its adjustments than MOA, but for what I'm doing, it doesn't make any practical difference. A serious paper-punching target shooter wouldn't go near Mil-Rad, but the 1cm @ 100m per click adjustments are okay for metallic silhouette shooting in any format.
You can get the scope ring inserts from 'The Gun Room' in QLD for just over $30 delivered. https://gunroom.com.au/product-category ... pe-mounts/
wildcard6
Private
Private
 
Posts: 52
South Australia

Re: Update on Long Range rimfire shoot. Video posted to yout

Post by bladeracer » 18 Feb 2019, 7:38 pm

wildcard6 wrote:It took a very long time before anyone posted a reply on this subject, so I haven't checked in in a few weeks, but to answer question #1, I am using a Vortex Diamondback 4-16X with First Focal Plane reticle. Being a 30mm tube scope, there is lots of adjustment available simply by winding up, but I did two other things to help. Number one is to have a 100m zero instead of a more traditional 50m zero with rimfires. The second thing is that I have installed 25MOA ring inserts [instead of sourcing/fitting a rail]. These things work really well. They're designed for use on 'drooper' air guns, but work just as well on rimfires to give you even more UP adjustment. With this set-up, I can still wind DOWN to have a 50m zero if I ever need to [but I don't]. The FFP reticle took some getting used to, but once you figure out what it can do for you at long range, it all makes sense. My only disappointment is that I couldn't find an MOA scope and ended up with a Mil-Rad scope, which is quite a lot coarser in its adjustments than MOA, but for what I'm doing, it doesn't make any practical difference. A serious paper-punching target shooter wouldn't go near Mil-Rad, but the 1cm @ 100m per click adjustments are okay for metallic silhouette shooting in any format.
You can get the scope ring inserts from 'The Gun Room' in QLD for just over $30 delivered. https://gunroom.com.au/product-category ... pe-mounts/


Offset inserts aren't a bad option, although I'd want more than 25MoA. What size rings do you need to use these on a 30mm tube - 34mm rings?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 5735
Victoria

Re: Update on Long Range rimfire shoot. Video posted to yout

Post by deye243 » 18 Feb 2019, 8:01 pm


Well these must be good plated $185
deye243
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2
 
Posts: 1006
Victoria

Re: Update on Long Range rimfire shoot. Video posted to yout

Post by bladeracer » 18 Feb 2019, 8:05 pm

deye243 wrote:

Well these must be good plated $185


Custom means you're paying for labour and machine time to make it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 5735
Victoria

Re: Update on Long Range rimfire shoot. Video posted to yout

Post by deye243 » 18 Feb 2019, 8:14 pm

bladeracer wrote:
deye243 wrote:

Well these must be good plated $185


Custom means you're paying for labour and machine time to make it.

Yes I know and I also know if you are making something on a weekly basis its no longer custom especially when cnc is involved
deye243
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2
 
Posts: 1006
Victoria

Next

Back to top
 
Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges