Hardening steel targets

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Re: Hardening steel targets

Post by bladeracer » 28 Aug 2021, 4:46 pm

cz515 wrote:As others have said. I don't have much to ad specifically. It's like releasing in a way

If you are looking at saving money and only doing a handful of plates tbh get the ar500 targets.

For an experience if what's possible then use the forge. What you are trying to do is case hardening. Making the steel red hot and dunking it in oil is actually trying to put a layer of carbon on the surface. I have also seen blacksmiths pour ash on the red hot tool and then hammer to make it hammer forged.

You could try cromoly steel that's cheap option and hard. Also excavator buckets, esp the blade is a great idea

No, case hardening is different from quench hardening. Case hardening can apparently (never tried it myself) be done with mild steel by laying case-hardening weld all over the surface, but the cost of hardening rods is far more expensive than buying AR500 plate.

It's not so much an exercise in experimentation, as the targets I want are either not generally available in Oz, or bloody expensive.
I only got the idea because I happen to be ordering a fair bit of steel soon and will have offcuts left over.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
General
General

Victoria

Post by Wyliecoyote » 28 Aug 2021, 9:09 pm

Most steel merchants have programs to cut animal profiles scaled up or down to whatever size you want. Silhouette targets are cut from Hardox, 500 or 600 for chickens and pigs, softer 400 or 450 for turkeys and rams. Peppa in the pic below was drawn and cut freehand from Hardox 500 and has seen thousands of rounds from 22 to 416 cal. Don't weld on pivots as it leads to cracks, oxy cut or spot anneal to drill holes so the target can swing freely. Rotate the face regularly so it doesn't cave in and crack.
Attachments
20181227_154320.jpg
20181227_154320.jpg (264.4 KiB) Viewed 348 times
Wyliecoyote
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bah! » 30 Aug 2021, 8:52 am

targets ... contact the laser cutter outfits and ask them if they ever get round hardox offcuts. I get round offcuts from head units in mild steel and for upto .223 they're fine.
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 30 Aug 2021, 4:58 pm

bah! wrote:targets ... contact the laser cutter outfits and ask them if they ever get round hardox offcuts. I get round offcuts from head units in mild steel and for upto .223 they're fine.

The thing is, round gongs are readily available, and reasonably priced.
Try finding Metallic Silhouettes.
bladeracer
General
General

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 30 Aug 2021, 4:59 pm

Bit of an update after he received lots of questions about this video series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGM92m4pOUg
bladeracer
General
General

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 30 Aug 2021, 6:21 pm

Yeah...Well. A whole lot of flapping gums. Don't think I'll watch another. The guy is a nut case.

BTW... Laying beads of welds using special rods over steel is called Hard Facing, not Case Hardening. Used to help protect implements from abrasion wear. Case Hardening is using a product to infuse a thin high carbon compound on the surface of steel. Hard Facing can be long beads, square or otherwise to a surface.

Anyway, I'm out....
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 30 Aug 2021, 11:22 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bah! wrote:targets ... contact the laser cutter outfits and ask them if they ever get round hardox offcuts. I get round offcuts from head units in mild steel and for upto .223 they're fine.

If you want silhouettes, go here https://ststargets.weebly.com/
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 30 Aug 2021, 11:55 pm

No1_49er wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

I check STS pretty regularly, I suspect they only make them to order.
bladeracer
General
General

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 31 Aug 2021, 1:22 am

Apollo wrote:Yeah...Well. A whole lot of flapping gums. Don't think I'll watch another. The guy is a nut case.

BTW... Laying beads of welds using special rods over steel is called Hard Facing, not Case Hardening. Used to help protect implements from abrasion wear. Case Hardening is using a product to infuse a thin high carbon compound on the surface of steel. Hard Facing can be long beads, square or otherwise to a surface.

Anyway, I'm out....

Yep I have done a few FEL buckets ...... low hydrogen rods are a pita unless you have a decent unit to run them .
deye243
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 31 Aug 2021, 8:06 am

bladeracer wrote:
No1_49er wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

I check STS pretty regularly, I suspect they only make them to order.

Did you ask?
Nothing wrong with making them to order. Means he doesn't have stock on the shelf, unsold. And probably means that he can maximise the shapes that can be cut from a sheet, dependent on what the client orders. A win for everybody.
I purchased my own sets, some time ago, and I don't recall that there was much of a delay - maybe a week.
No1_49er
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 31 Aug 2021, 1:12 pm

No1_49er wrote:Did you ask?
Nothing wrong with making them to order. Means he doesn't have stock on the shelf, unsold. And probably means that he can maximise the shapes that can be cut from a sheet, dependent on what the client orders. A win for everybody.
I purchased my own sets, some time ago, and I don't recall that there was much of a delay - maybe a week.

I asked in 2018, they didn't do them at all then.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=9562#p155641
bladeracer
General
General

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 31 Aug 2021, 8:20 pm

bladeracer wrote:

That's odd. I can't remember when I bought mine but I've just checked the web-site here https://stsonline.com.au/store/index.ph ... duct_id=60 and they're listed at $385 for a set of 20 i.e. 5 of each animal.
As the site says, "Made to Order". Can't help you more than that.
No1_49er
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 31 Aug 2021, 9:28 pm

No1_49er wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

That's odd. I can't remember when I bought mine but I've just checked the web-site here https://stsonline.com.au/store/index.ph ... duct_id=60 and they're listed at $385 for a set of 20 i.e. 5 of each animal.
As the site says, "Made to Order". Can't help you more than that.

Those are one-fifth scale rimfire silhouettes, which I already have.
bladeracer
General
General

Victoria

Previous

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges