Eddystone 1917 Re-Barrelled to .308 for Precision Shooting

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Eddystone 1917 Re-Barrelled to .308 for Precision Shooting

Post by hondajames12 » 09 Jan 2022, 1:34 pm

How’s it going,

New to the forum here, forgive me if I’ve posted this in the wrong spot; let me know if so.
I currently have in my gun collection an Eddystone 1917 (M1917 Enfield, was .30-06) that has been re-barrelled to .308 and sporterised specifically for long range target shooting (unsure of discipline to be shot with it). Has a vernier tang sight etc with globe front sight and interchangeable inserts. Will measure up barrel for length; is a very accurate rifle in the right hands. Can upload pictures later as well.

This rifle is surplus to my needs, as competitively shoot handguns and won’t find the time to pick up another discipline. I received the rifle off a family member as it was also surplus to their needs, but there’s no sentimental value towards the rifle for either of us. My question is, without knowing who did the smithing re-barrelling the rifle, what would a rifle like this be worth, or how could I find it’s worth, as I would like to move it on and replace it with another rifle. Not looking for top dollar, just don’t want to rip myself off.

Thanks for reading!
James
hondajames12
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Eddystone 1917 Re-Barrelled to .308 for Precision Shooti

Post by Larry » 09 Jan 2022, 5:48 pm

Its not going to have any extra value as a competition gun. It just doesnt fit with say the correct specs for a top level competitive gun. I think it would be worth what a sportorised milserp rifle would command which is lower typically than a non modified milserp.
Larry
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by No1Mk3 » 10 Jan 2022, 11:58 am

G'day hondajames12,
Sadly they are not worth what they should be! They were mostly made in a time when dedicated target rifles were priced beyond most shooters or were simply not available so many former military actions were used to make 308 rifles such as the Enfield No4, Mauser 98 and P'14/M17. These served us well until the Omark became readily available and then came the better custom actions like Barnard etc.so that now rifles like yours have fallen in a hole, no military collector value, too heavy for hunting, not seriously competitive in T/R but remain cheap entry level rifles for T/R and F-Class and pull between $500 to $1000 in very good condition. Give SARA a call and speak to someone there as to where the closest range is to you then drop in for a visit and talk to the members, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Larry » 10 Jan 2022, 12:39 pm

Omarks can be purchased between $150 and 400 as a guide. I think these would have more demand than your eddy when it comes to competitive shooting.
Larry
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by bladeracer » 10 Jan 2022, 1:21 pm

It has some value to somebody that wants to enjoy an M1917, but doesn't want to spend the money on a nice one. What that value might be is anybody's guess and probably depends more on how many others are on the market when you advertise it than anything else. The sights are some of the best parts of the original rifle so it's a shame they were changed. The competition sights make it an unlikely hunting rifle, and trying to get originals might be difficult and expensive.

I was very close to pulling the trigger on one five years ago. I can't recall if it was a grand or $1200, but it was more than I thought it was worth. As I was buying a few other rifles at the time that offered better value I opted out, but I really wish I'd grabbed it.

I'd spend a day at the range first, you might find you just enjoy shooting it, without getting hung up on competitions.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
General
General

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 14 Jan 2022, 2:08 pm

it's an m17 - the holy grail in bolt-action service rifle. It could be converted back to "as issued" 30-06, with some ogrinal sights from Rebel, then it would pull $2-3k.
I'm a "salt on pizza" kinda guy...
in2anity
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 14 Jan 2022, 4:17 pm

in2anity wrote:it's an m17 - the holy grail in bolt-action service rifle. It could be converted back to "as issued" 30-06, with some ogrinal sights from Rebel, then it would pull $2-3k.

$2000 for an M17 chambered in .308?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
General
General

Victoria

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges