Anyone shot .22lr rifle at SSAA Springvale?

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Anyone shot .22lr rifle at SSAA Springvale?

Post by TBJ » 20 Jun 2018, 10:29 am

Hi guys, I've just put a new scope on my CZ452 and also have just replaced the sights on my BRNO mod. 2 and need to sight at least one of them in before I go away hunting next weekend, I usually go to SSAA Eagle Park in Little River, but with me trying to organise work and stuff, there's no way I'm going to be able to make it down there, so I thought if I can sight it in at Springvale it would work. I've never shot there or even been there so I'm wondering what the rules are, if they're different to eagle park? I know they only go out to 50 and its only .22LR no Mag or HMR, but other than that what are the rules, do I have to bring anything different, do they have sandbags, do they have benches? Also in regards to targets I usually use a homemade target made with sign board is that ok or what?
thanks
Have: .17H .22LR .204R .222REM .223REM .22-250 .243WIN .270WIN .308WIN .300WM 7.62x39 30-06SPRG .303BRIT 30-30WIN 9.3x62 45-70GOVT 44RMAG 45LC 20GA 12GA .410GA
Want: .220SWIFT 6.5CREED .260REM .375H&H .416RIGBY .444MARLIN .458WIN 16GA 28GA
TBJ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Anyone shot .22lr rifle at SSAA Springvale?

Post by sungazer » 20 Jun 2018, 10:46 am

You are allowed to use your own targets. Mostly it is shot from the prone position they do have a few benches not sure if it is first in or what the go with them is. I have only been the once so not the best person for advice. just make sure you take your license have the gun in the bag and preferably with the bolt removed.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by TBJ » 20 Jun 2018, 11:00 am

Ok thanks, with the targets are they hang up ones or should I bring my mallet and stand?
Have: .17H .22LR .204R .222REM .223REM .22-250 .243WIN .270WIN .308WIN .300WM 7.62x39 30-06SPRG .303BRIT 30-30WIN 9.3x62 45-70GOVT 44RMAG 45LC 20GA 12GA .410GA
Want: .220SWIFT 6.5CREED .260REM .375H&H .416RIGBY .444MARLIN .458WIN 16GA 28GA
TBJ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 20 Jun 2018, 1:03 pm

They are staple to a board. At least Springvale has some staples if you dont have your own. i went to Shepparton there you basically have to bring your own target there are some left over that have been rescued after others have used them. You also have to bring your own stapler and backboard if you want a distance longer than 100 yrds
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 20 Jun 2018, 1:51 pm

Hi buddy, Been to springvale many times. Make sure you bring your license and or ssaa membership card. The range is only 50m. There is plenty of spaces for prone shooting. 4 booths for standing. And I think 2 benches. The targets area is you staple your paper or cardboard (can buy from shop like little river) targets to a signboard provided by them. In the booths you have some stands. But if you got your own bring them.
Hope that helps.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 20 Jun 2018, 2:29 pm

They generally don't like stands , spinners etc. Just stick to paper targets. The proshop (gunshop?) Sells all different cardboard targets of various sizes and types. (roundels, silhouette etc). Booths and benches are for licensed SSAA members only, or at least they were. Ammo can be purchased there as well. You will need a chamber flag( can be purchased there). All shooting is @50m . Generally they will not allow you to set up any shorter.

If using a bipod , I recommend a 6-9 as any taller will cause issues shooting under the baffles. They also have rests you can use.

Last time I was there it was $30 for non SSAA and $20 for members.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 20 Jun 2018, 2:58 pm

If its anything like it used to be a few months ago get used to pointless bastardization, and bring a spirit level, if you firearm muzzle points 1 degree left or right of straight up and down you'll cop a beasting from a grumpy RO who hates his job.
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by southwest shooter » 20 Jun 2018, 3:19 pm

AusTac wrote:If its anything like it used to be a few months ago get used to pointless bastardization, and bring a spirit level, if you firearm muzzle points 1 degree left or right of straight up and down you'll cop a beasting from a grumpy RO who hates his job.

Sounds like Little River in a nutshell , used to like going every now and then for a shot and to see what was on the line .
Give it a miss now to much bs for me .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 20 Jun 2018, 7:00 pm

They have a lot of unlicensed people trying out shooting there so you can understand the RO's being a touch curt.I had one carrying on about leaving a magazine in my rifle ( I hadn't it was the magazine well he mistook for a magazine despite having a flag through it as well as one in the chamber).Pro shop had closed down last time I was there. Targets are cheap $1-2 apiece. Booths are not SSAA members only, I'm no longer a member and still use them, however I think they want licensed shooters only in the booths (harder to keep an eye on people).
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 20 Jun 2018, 9:07 pm

Honestly while the ROs are grumpy, I put it down to they are old and old ppl are grumpy...lol. in seriousness there are rules ob the range, ppl need to follow the rules for safety. And anyway if you don't like the rules you don't need to go there and give your 30 bucks to ssaa. And dealing with dumb ppl likely makes anyone grumpy. Some ppl I seem just don't understand or listen.

I was at little river on Monday saw a guy with basically a red cable tie getting very aggro when the ro told him that it was not a chamber flag, ffs they cost a dollar and makes everyone's life simple when you have a yellow/ orange chamber flag like every other shooter on the range.

Sure if that situation RO might get grumpy. The other day had a guy rock up to springvale with an uncovered rifle, the RO told him gently to go back to the cart and get something to cover the rifle. I suppose it was before the range opened so they were still not become aggro
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by smartiejl » 24 Jun 2018, 7:07 pm

Supaduke wrote:They generally don't like stands , spinners etc. Just stick to paper targets. The proshop (gunshop?) Sells all different cardboard targets of various sizes and types. (roundels, silhouette etc). Booths and benches are for licensed SSAA members only, or at least they were. Ammo can be purchased there as well. You will need a chamber flag( can be purchased there). All shooting is @50m . Generally they will not allow you to set up any shorter.

If using a bipod , I recommend a 6-9 as any taller will cause issues shooting under the baffles. They also have rests you can use.

I think they just raised the prices to something like $46 for non-SSAA.
smartiejl
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by junjun » 27 Jun 2018, 5:05 pm

smartiejl wrote:
Supaduke wrote:They generally don't like stands , spinners etc. Just stick to paper targets. The proshop (gunshop?) Sells all different cardboard targets of various sizes and types. (roundels, silhouette etc). Booths and benches are for licensed SSAA members only, or at least they were. Ammo can be purchased there as well. You will need a chamber flag( can be purchased there). All shooting is @50m . Generally they will not allow you to set up any shorter.

I think they just raised the prices to something like $46 for non-SSAA.

That is including target, ear protection, ammo and rifle hire. For people who just want to rock and shoot without any membership nor license.
junjun
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by junjun » 27 Jun 2018, 5:07 pm

I go to Srpingvale every week to shoot IPSC. I used to shoot 22LR there very often. To be fair, too many people are just plain stupid or not following instruction. Too many kids without a shooters license, no concern for safety. Imagine you are there 5 days a week, 4-5 hours a day dealing with people like that again and again, doing all these as a volunteer. Yep, they don't get paid.
junjun
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 27 Jun 2018, 6:10 pm

They do get paid now days. Bout $25 an hour. Not huge money but at least they get something for their trouble. As many have said , they have to deal with a lot of flogs. You rock up as an unknown they will naturally be cautious. If you go with any regularity and they get to know you, you tend to be left alone. Just nod, smile and follow their instructions , even if you feel they are a bit inane , and you will have no issues.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Zarrs » 27 Jul 2018, 12:55 am

Bit late to the party but I shoot at spring vale a couple of times a months and the RO's are pretty good once they know you, until then they are a bit full on but with all the tourists that can't speak English going through that place they need to be. You can sight your rifle in if you are oging to do it recommend going on a week night when its not as busy or be there first thing on Saturday morning. The RO's will generally help you if they arnt busy and
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges