Backing and stands for targets?

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Backing and stands for targets?

Post by Hadoku » 24 Jul 2013, 10:05 am

Hi all,

Looking for some advice on cheap backing and stands for target shooting?

I see at the range people trying to tape paper to metal frames and stuff and always looks to be a paid in the ass...

Don't really wanna spend a fortune on metal flip up targets or whatever they're called. What works for everyone?
Hadoku
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Backing and stands for targets?

Post by Yelp » 24 Jul 2013, 10:33 am

Real estate signs are the bomb if you can get them from somewhere. Failing that styrofoam or regular old cardboard will get the job done.

Get some pickets from bunnings and some tape, tape the targets to the board and the board to the pickets after you've hammered them into the ground.
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 24 Jul 2013, 10:36 am

Yelp wrote:Get some pickets from bunnings and some tape, tape the targets to the board and the board to the pickets after you've hammered them into the ground.

That's what I do, with sheets of those corrugated plastic signs that they stick up temporarily. Quite a bit more durable than cardboard in my experience. Don't have to worry bout it getting wet or anything like that either.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Vati » 25 Jul 2013, 8:53 am

Lorgar wrote:
Yelp wrote:Get some pickets from bunnings and some tape, tape the targets to the board and the board to the pickets after you've hammered them into the ground.

That's what I do, with sheets of those corrugated plastic signs that they stick up temporarily. Quite a bit more durable than cardboard in my experience. Don't have to worry bout it getting wet or anything like that either.

A fold up metal 'tuck-shop' sign has been doing the trick for me ;)
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by sooey » 26 Sep 2013, 9:13 am

I was thinking a big square of plywood sheeting might last a while as target backing? Reckon the softer/thin wood would make nice small holes when struck and stay together? Or maybe split?
Remington 700 CDL chambered in .270 Winchester
Remington 700 CDL chambered in 300 Win Mag
4-16x 40mm Bushnell Elite scopes
sooey
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Jessie » 26 Sep 2013, 9:01 pm

sooey wrote:I was thinking a big square of plywood sheeting might last a while as target backing? Reckon the softer/thin wood would make nice small holes when struck and stay together? Or maybe split?

Might last a little while but I reckon you'd get a huge split after not too long and it would be useless. Better to use cardboard or plastic sheeting or something that will hold together IMO.
Jessie
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Igoe » 27 Sep 2013, 7:41 am

Jessie wrote:
sooey wrote:I was thinking a big square of plywood sheeting might last a while as target backing? Reckon the softer/thin wood would make nice small holes when struck and stay together? Or maybe split?

Might last a little while but I reckon you'd get a huge split after not too long and it would be useless. Better to use cardboard or plastic sheeting or something that will hold together IMO.

Plywood shouldn't split. It is made up of layers of timber at 90 degrees to each other so that it avoids splitting and warping. It will stay together better than most options, and give you a flat surface. Paper targets don't stick very well, though.
Coreflute (corrugated plastic sheeting) is probably the best, but maybe a bit harder to get and more expensive.

I use masonite sheets. Cheap, light, reasonably stable. They will eventually fall apart when they get too many holes, but it can be hundreds of rounds before that happens.

Ian
Igoe
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Aster » 27 Sep 2013, 9:08 am

Yelp wrote:Real estate signs are the bomb if you can get them from somewhere.

+
Igoe wrote:Coreflute (corrugated plastic sheeting) is probably the best, but maybe a bit harder to get and more expensive.

I can see it now... "In a bizarre spate of thefts, plastic real estate signs are going missing everywhere."

People turn up to the range and there are people shooting at pictures of their house :lol:
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Warrigul » 27 Sep 2013, 5:31 pm

Igoe wrote:
Jessie wrote:

Plywood shouldn't split. It is made up of layers of timber at 90 degrees to each other so that it avoids splitting and warping. It will stay together better than most options, and give you a flat surface. Paper targets don't stick very well, though.
Coreflute (corrugated plastic sheeting) is probably the best, but maybe a bit harder to get and more expensive.

Corflute is actually cheaper than masonite,

A 1200 x 1800 sheet of corflute was only $7.00 two months ago at my local Mitre10

Lasts way longer than anything else too. Easy to patch the center when it starts to get shot out just cut out a neat square in the centre and use hot melt glue to fix a new center into.

Use a hand stapler to stick paper targets on or glue them on the night before with PVA glue.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Herdsman » 27 Sep 2013, 7:07 pm

Warrigul wrote:A 1200 x 1800 sheet of corflute was only $7.00 two months ago at my local Mitre10

Lasts way longer than anything else too. Easy to patch the center when it starts to get shot out just cut out a neat square in the centre and use hot melt glue to fix a new center into.

I was with you at $7 a sheet.

You lost me at having to screw around with the hot glue gun :lol:
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges