Hitting Target @ 300m With Iron Sights

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Hitting Target @ 300m With Iron Sights

Post by DrewRoss » 26 Jun 2018, 11:44 am

Guys,

Really quick question. Had a relative just come back from doing his service in the army and he claims he nailed a target at 300 metres using only the iron sights 5 out of 5 times. Rifle in question was a HK G3 A3. He didn't specify what sort of target it was but I assume it was a steel silhouette type of thing. I have never shot that far (without a scope) and would just like to know if this is possible or is he pulling my leg?

Personally I find it hard to see anything at 300m let alone sighting it through iron sights...put that's my dodgy eyes maybe? :unknown:
Last edited by DrewRoss on 26 Jun 2018, 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrewRoss
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Hitting Target @ 300m With Iron Sights

Post by No1_49er » 26 Jun 2018, 11:48 am

Time for an eye test!
I doubt that he's pulling your leg. I do the same sort of thing at 500mtr with an "iron sight" 223. I do have a good optician though.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 26 Jun 2018, 11:56 am

yep quite possible of course depending on the target. Target rifle guys only use peep sight and no magnification and are getting some amazing scores / groupings out to 1000 yrds. The target below was shot at 500 yrds in the prone position using no rests or bags just a sling. Not by me, I cant do that using a bipod, rear bag and a scope.

ScreenHunter_1.jpg
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by DrewRoss » 26 Jun 2018, 12:12 pm

Ok cool. Thanks lads. I'll have to try it out. Might need glasses! :geek:
DrewRoss
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 26 Jun 2018, 12:53 pm

Just for a FYI in the target above those X's are the size if using the Rest,bag and Scope. A TR best score is a V which is the size of the second ring and a 5 top score is the third ring from the centre
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Supaduke » 26 Jun 2018, 1:01 pm

I can comfortably shoot a 300mm gong with iron sighted milsurps at 300m. Once the rifle and ammo is dialed in it's quite easy.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Bills Shed » 26 Jun 2018, 4:26 pm

We use to shoot head and shoulder targets (. figure 12 type) with the SLR L1A1 at 300m. They were iron sights. It took practice but for a battle rifle it was more than capable as long as the shooter was. 308 auto loader with a 20 round mag, they were the days.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by brett1868 » 26 Jun 2018, 5:02 pm

DrewRoss wrote:Ok cool. Thanks lads. I'll have to try it out. Might need glasses! :geek:

If you're in western Sydney I can highly recommend John Granata at Northmead. He does my prescription glasses for pistol shooting and is firearms friendly, I've taken pistols down there (with permission) so I can check the sight picture whilst he fiddles with the dials. I use Bolle safety spec frames with plastic lenses so they comply with the safety requirements.

http://www.granataoptometrist.com.au/
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 26 Jun 2018, 5:47 pm

DrewRoss wrote:Guys,

Really quick question. Had a relative just come back from doing his service in the army and he claims he nailed a target at 300 metres using only the iron sights 5 out of 5 times. Rifle in question was a HK G3 A3. He didn't specify what sort of target it was but I assume it was a steel silhouette type of thing. I have never shot that far (without a scope) and would just like to know if this is possible or is he pulling my leg?

Personally I find it hard to see anything at 300m let alone sighting it through iron sights...put that's my dodgy eyes maybe? :unknown:

I could probably hit a silhouette at 300m offhand, but not 100% of the time. From prone or seated position I reckon it'd be easily achievable with a little practice. My eyesight with iron sights is pretty poor past about 40m, but the main problem is focusing on a small target dot, I need about a 60mm target diamond at 100m for accurate sighting, a full-size silhouette would be a doddle at 300m.

Metallic Silhouette competition with lever-action rifles (Lever Action or "LA" stands for "Lucky As" to hit anything") is done out to 200m on the ram, which is roughly the size of a silhouette laid on it's side.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 26 Jun 2018, 5:51 pm

brett1868 wrote:
DrewRoss wrote:Ok cool. Thanks lads. I'll have to try it out. Might need glasses! :geek:

If you're in western Sydney I can highly recommend John Granata at Northmead. He does my prescription glasses for pistol shooting and is firearms friendly, I've taken pistols down there (with permission) so I can check the sight picture whilst he fiddles with the dials. I use Bolle safety spec frames with plastic lenses so they comply with the safety requirements.

http://www.granataoptometrist.com.au/

My local is a shooter and has invited me to bring a rifle in to have shooting glasses made up. Haven't pulled the trigger on that, but only because I'm a stubborn old bastard with eyesight like an eagle (an eagle of very advanced age). Must get it happening sometime though.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 26 Jun 2018, 6:14 pm

Bills Shed wrote:We use to shoot head and shoulder targets (. figure 12 type) with the SLR L1A1 at 300m. They were iron sights. It took practice but for a battle rifle it was more than capable as long as the shooter was. 308 auto loader with a 20 round mag, they were the days.

Bill

Dad qualified as marksman at three hundred with the slr(1968)...I'd like to be able to shoot at that kinda range with'em but I've never used irons/opens over 100mt. :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 26 Jun 2018, 6:31 pm

Yes i agree with you all...!!!
I cant see why not...I know its not the same thing, but i could put 9/10 .22lr sub HP's into the brain of a bunny out to a good 110 yds when i was a kid (11-14 y/o)--& that was shooting a factory Sportco mod 63A with the standard open sights & a tractor pull trigger...!!
So i see no reason what you say wouldn't be easily achievable with the right equipment... :thumbsup:

Then at the age of 14 when competing in smallbore comps i used to think it was basically cheating being able to use peep sights. :thumbsup: ..i also remember wondering why the older blokes used to wear glasses when the sights & targets were so easy to see... :lol:...boy do i get it now... :lol: :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 26 Jun 2018, 9:50 pm

It has a lot to do with exactly what type of iron sights you use, how clear/contrasting the target is, how well the target pairs with the sights, and how long your sight radius is. Optimize all these variables with an accurate rifle, and I reckon you can shoot about as well as with a 4x scope. A scope is obviously just a helluva lot more versatile for all kinds of situations.

For example, as has been stated, smallbore/fullbore is a small circular aperture, masking a tunnel, which is silhouetting a contrasting circle (over a nice long barrel) - shoot this off a rest and it’s actually relatively easy to shoot really tight groups. Take away your front rest and have your abdomen in contact with the ground (from prone) - NOW things start to get a little trickier!

A front post (like most milsurps have) makes it a little harder, but this is where a 6-clock hold and/or a target with a somewhat flat-bottomed hard edge can really help - after a few sighers, you can really consistently sling them in there, especially if someone is calling your shots!
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 27 Jun 2018, 11:56 am

Yeah, not much of a problem. The old SLR 7.62 had a amateurish rear peep sight that just slide up a ramp for elevation. On the 303 had a Parker Hale peep and shot out to 900 yds. At 300 regularly shot 39/40. The biggest problem was wind and mirage....

Ah yes, definitely; " those were the days". :thumbsup:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by gunnnie » 27 Jun 2018, 8:21 pm

I use a 1917 SMLE No1 MkIII 303Brit as issued at comps out to 800M. As long as the wind isn't bad & I can judge it right, I don't have too much hassle in hitting 10 for 10 scorers.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 27 Jun 2018, 9:06 pm

If your eyes are dodgy Drew and you want to belly shoot at long range, the NRAA rules allow a magnifying lens in front of the fore-sight and a correction lens behind the peep. With those lenses and Sumo fore-sight rings I got waterline elevation :D
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges