Newbie range shooting questions

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Newbie range shooting questions

Post by 2freeq » 12 Aug 2018, 9:51 pm

Hi all,

Time to ask the newbie questions i have been too proud to ask... :oops:
A bit of backround
Target shooting and firearms in general is something that has always interested me and i never got around to following through with. Until my daughter expressed an interest and we are doing it together. I have received my license and we are still waiting for my daughters minors permit. I have lodged our PTAs which have been issued and just waiting on postage. We have purchased a .22 and a .223 and as much gear as i can think of, So in about a week i'm hoping to visit the range with our new rifles for the first time..... And there lies the problem.... Neither of us have fired a gun before. :shock: :unknown:

We have researched and studied firearms safety and range safety from multiple sources including the hands on "training" when doing the firearms safety course as part of the license application but we don't know anyone who is into firearms that we can learn off so i thought i'd post the question here.

Any tips for 2 newbies with basic training but no experience?
Do they sell targets at Silverdale range or do we take our own?
Do you recommend watching a few people first before picking up our own rifles?
Is it single load or can i load up the magazine?
Any range etiquette "unwritten laws" i should be aware of?

I'm probably just thinking too much into it all but thought i'd grit my teeth and ask.
Cheers. :drinks:
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
EMEI Chinese side lever .117 Air Rifle
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Newbie Questions

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Aug 2018, 10:06 pm

Id speak to one of the range officers at Silverdale, I'm sure they would be able to find someone to help you learn the ins and outs of safe firearms use.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by 2freeq » 12 Aug 2018, 10:08 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Id speak to one of the range officers at Silverdale, I'm sure they would be able to find someone to help you learn the ins and outs of safe firearms use.

Will do for sure. Cheers.
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by pete1 » 12 Aug 2018, 10:10 pm

Ive never been to that range so cant tell you much about it, but believe all SSAA range's you can only load one round at a time.

Just remember we all have to start somewhere, 22 is good place as it may take you more rounds then you think to get your eye in.

Seeing you have never fired a gun before. when you buy the firearm, get it at home, UNLOADED and have a play with it, familiarize yourself in where safety is, how to ovide pointing it at someone else. get use to how it works how to clean it.

Give it a quick clean before you use it.

Get into safety habits now and they become natural.

Don't worry if takes you a while to get your accuracy up it can take some time everyone is different.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 12 Aug 2018, 10:15 pm

Silverdale range I believe is single load only and leave the firearms in the car till told it safe to go to such and such a bench .
St Mary you can load your mag up and don,t leave any fire arms in the car unattended take them in with you
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by knowsnothin » 12 Aug 2018, 10:24 pm

welcome.

i'd head to the range BEFORE you get your firearms. maybe go check out a match on a sunday morning. likely someone will show you the ropes and maybe give you a shoot.

also likely there may be someone along your journey who might not be so accomodating. don't let them stop your enjoyment .

we all started somewhere.

except for those guys born with a 44 automag in their hand.
knowsnothin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by 2freeq » 12 Aug 2018, 10:35 pm

Cheers for the replies. All good suggestions.

Think i'll make a trip to Silverdale or St Marys and have a chat with them.
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 12 Aug 2018, 10:36 pm

Ahh that must be me... actually no. In vic booth ssaa ranges operate differently. So yea good idea to go there first talk to the RO if they know you are a new Oregon they usually are happy to show you..as that means hopefully you don't give them a headache.

I had familiarity in my early life then nothing for like 20+ years... but still make mistakes. Just if you do something that makes get yelled at by the range responsible officers just don't argue or get upset at them.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 12 Aug 2018, 11:36 pm

My Mum gave me my first gun for my birthday 46years ago, still have him too, and I can still remember the rush of firing him for the first time.
I envy you the upcoming exhilaration.
Welcome to the sport, I hope you both enjoy it as much as we do.
:welcome:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 22 Aug 2018, 3:09 pm

2freeq wrote:Hi all,

Time to ask the newbie questions i have been too proud to ask... :oops:

I have received my license and we are still waiting for my daughters minors permit. I have lodged our PTAs which have been issued and just waiting on postage. We have purchased a .22 and a .223 and as much gear as i can think of, So in about a week i'm hoping to visit the range with our new rifles for the first time..... And there lies the problem.... Neither of us have fired a gun before. :shock: :unknown:
:

May I be so bold as to ask,,,,,, How the hell did you get your license ? :unknown:

I thought that all people doing the firearms course to obtain their license (regardless of which state/territory) have to fire a rifle as part of the course.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 22 Aug 2018, 3:19 pm

Die Judicii wrote:May I be so bold as to ask,,,,,, How the hell did you get your license ? :unknown:

I thought that all people doing the firearms course to obtain their license (regardless of which state/territory) have to fire a rifle as part of the course.

Not here in Vic, never even laid a hand on a firearm during the three-hour lecture.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 22 Aug 2018, 3:42 pm

2freeq wrote:Cheers for the replies. All good suggestions.

Mate, 99% of people in this sport, hobby , lifestyle for some, that I’ve met have been real quick to help a newbie and most of the time more than happy for a chat. Except when it’s shooting time :lol: go out there leave ya guns in the car, watch for a while and have a chat. I’m sure there’s someone who’ll be more than happy to show ya the ropes. Nice to hear ya doing it with family too
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 22 Aug 2018, 3:52 pm

bigrich wrote:
2freeq wrote:Cheers for the replies. All good suggestions.

Mate, 99% of people in this sport, hobby , lifestyle for some, that I’ve met have been real quick to help a newbie and most of the time more than happy for a chat. Except when it’s shooting time :lol: go out there leave ya guns in the car, watch for a while and have a chat. I’m sure there’s someone who’ll be more than happy to show ya the ropes. Nice to hear ya doing it with family too

I thought I saw something about not leaving firearms in your vehicle at the range?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 22 Aug 2018, 4:12 pm

G'Day,
If St Mary's is suitable I'm an RSO there with the pistol club and volunteer as an RSO for the Junior Development program which runs on Saturday mornings from 10-12. The next intake is September 8th and runs for 8 weeks, depending on the age and experience of your daughter this might be an option. http://www.stmarysindoorshootingcentre.com.au/admin/_files/pages/1525739345_smisc_jdp_flyer_and_enrolment_sept_-_dec_2018.pdf

I'd be more then happy to meet you both at the range and run you through the process and get you sighted in and on your way.

Regards
Brett
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by 2freeq » 22 Aug 2018, 9:42 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
May I be so bold as to ask,,,,,, How the hell did you get your license ? :unknown:

no live fire involved in the course. Was just trying to get a couple of pro tips...... They weren't available so i asked here instead..... :sarcasm:
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Aug 2018, 6:13 am

If you can take Brett up on his offer. He is very experienced and loves helping people. A friendly tip. Strip both rifles and clean and oil them. Ensure the barrel is clean and dry before shooting. Very important.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 23 Aug 2018, 7:06 am

Oldbloke wrote:If you can take Brett up on his offer. He is very experienced and loves helping people. A friendly tip. Strip both rifles and clean and oil them. Ensure the barrel is clean and dry before shooting. Very important.

Yep. Clean your new rifle well or you may ruin it on the first shot. All the packing grease under the pressure of a bullet hooting down the barrel can cause damage to the barrel. To be sure, clean it well.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by 2freeq » 23 Aug 2018, 9:00 am

Thanks for the replies. I'm hoping to get my PTAs in the post today so Brett i'll message you soon to tee up a time to take advantage of your generous offer. It will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I will strip both guns and throughly clean them before going to the range. Will be good for us both to learn the "ins & outs" of the rifles. We are both super excited and it's my daughters 15th birthday today so if the PTAs turn up today i can take her to gun shop to pick up our rifles which she would love.
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 23 Aug 2018, 5:19 pm

2freeq wrote:Thanks for the replies. I'm hoping to get my PTAs in the post today so Brett i'll message you soon to tee up a time to take advantage of your generous offer. It will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I will strip both guns and throughly clean them before going to the range. Will be good for us both to learn the "ins & outs" of the rifles. We are both super excited and it's my daughters 15th birthday today so if the PTAs turn up today i can take her to gun shop to pick up our rifles which she would love.

No dramas, if you're buying from Magnums talk to Andrew / Chris or Phil, drop my name and ask for mates rates but don't believe any of their B.S about me :D . If from Horsley's, talk to Ryan, Justin or Tim and same procedure...:) Congratulations and best wishes to your daughter on her birthday. There's certain rules around supervision of juniors on the range but nothing to worry about and ill help you out there.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges