New Long Range Rimfire shoot in Adelaide SA 2019

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

New Long Range Rimfire shoot in Adelaide SA 2019

Post by wildcard6 » 28 Aug 2018, 3:27 pm

I am in the process of starting a new section/shoot at SSAA Para branch in Adelaide. I have run a field trial of the event with eight shooters and the results were all that I'd hoped for. The match is for .22LR rimfire rifles only shooting at metallic silhouette targets at 100m, 200m, and 300 yards [yes, yards... because that's how long the range is]. I thought I was overreaching using 300 yards, but the new Practical Rimfire section at Monarto is going for 500 meters!! [Good luck with that...] I still have a few hurdles to overcome before this shoot gets SAPOL'S seal of approval, but I'm hoping to have it on the range calendar in 2019. If you are interested in seeing what it looks like, visit my youtube channel at www.youtube.com/user/wildcard6actual for three little videos showing the three ranges used and the type of targets used. For the field trial, I used a smaller target at 200m, but I plan to revert to the larger target in the real shoot. Top score for the day went to a shooter using one of the new Ruger Precision Rimfire rifles, equipped with a Vortex scope - impressive rig! This shoot will appeal to those who want to practice long range shooting with rimfires, and also those who just get a kick out of knocking over steel targets a long time after they squeeze the trigger. The match format has only one person shooting at a time, so all other shooters are watching what happens, and a hit at 300 yards usually earns a cheer! For those who are deadly serious, it will be great. For those who shoot purely for fun, it will also be great! For more details/expressions of interest, contact me at wildcard6@live.com.au
wildcard6
Private
Private

South Australia

Re: New Long Range Rimfire shoot in Adelaide SA 2019

Post by ClaytonT88 » 28 Aug 2018, 6:02 pm

I'm still a way off getting a rifle and being anywhere near competitive, but this sounds like my kind of fun, will the range be open for practice or only for comps? (I'm a real newb and only just getting into it as a new hobby) - It's slightly cheaper than racing bikes!
Easy come, easy go.

Tikka T1X 22LR - VX Freedom 3-9X40
ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Re: New Long Range Rimfire shoot in Adelaide SA 2019

Post by groundhog » 28 Aug 2018, 6:36 pm

This match is very similar to 22 BPCR which here in Australia is shot out to 200m using the 1/2 scale targets that you are using. Rams at 200, Turkeys at 150m, Pigs at 100m and Chickens shot offhand at 50m. This match is shot off sticks using open sights. In the US it is shot with different target scales, have a look at the attached link. http://www.22bpcra.com/
groundhog
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges