How long did it take to master your flinch?

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

How long did it take to master your flinch?

Post by mobo » 13 Jan 2014, 1:18 pm

Hi guys,

Wondering what other peoples experience with this are...

When shooting something with a bit of kick, lets say anything in the .30 calibre family and upwards, how long did it take you to master your flinch when firing?

Thanks.
Mossberg 802 Plinkster 22LR

Savage Stevens 200 .270 Winchester
mobo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: How long did it take to master your flinch?

Post by Tinked » 13 Jan 2014, 2:33 pm

A while... Honestly I'm kind of just throwing numbers out here, but 200 rounds or something? Spread out over a few trips?

Obviously it got better as time progressed. Went from flinching every shot to 1 in 1, 5, 10 and whatever...

To be completely comfortable though something like the above?
Tinked
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Post by yoshie » 13 Jan 2014, 7:01 pm

You never do, a lot of people think they do, try f class out to 1000m or metallic silhouette pistol, air pistol or free pistol and your in for a rude shock.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Will » 14 Jan 2014, 9:32 am

Master might be too stronger word :D

I still every once in a while have a moments hesitation before pulling the trigger. Or the hint of a flinch on a few shots in a session. Little things, nothing like when I started out though.

I remember when I first started shooting, a few times I even shut my eyes as I pulled the trigger and cringed away from the rifle :lol:

To get over all that though, may 6 or 7 trips and 150-200 rounds? Something like that anyway, tough to give an exact number...
Roessler Waffen Titan 6
Viper Vortex HS 4-16x44
Will
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 14 Jan 2014, 9:46 am

A flinch from firing say a .308 is a good sign you (like many shooters do) progressed to quickly before you developed good technique.

I will probable cop a bit of flak for saying that but a .308 in a medium weight rifle should never scare or shock you causing you to flinch.

If it does there's a pretty good chance it's your own technique and experience level that is causing it and it will take more than trigger time to correct it.

My first "big rifle was an AIA no4 replica in .308 and although it was a heavy rifle at no point did it scare me. Why? Open sights helped but I believe the main reason was that I had fired a couple of thousand rounds of .223 in the years leading up to buying it. I believe this helped me maintain good form when moving up to the bigger gun.

Body position, trigger control, follow through. If you can't watch the shot from start to finish change something. Wind the scope back to a lower magnification, Add some weight to the rifle, add a brake or get some coaching. The worst thing you can do IMHO is to battle on and train your body/brain to flinch when your finger applies pressure to the trigger

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by eeckle » 14 Jan 2014, 12:35 pm

Chronos wrote:A flinch from firing say a .308 is a good sign you (like many shooters do) progressed to quickly before you developed good technique.

I will probable cop a bit of flak for saying that but a .308 in a medium weight rifle should never scare or shock you causing you to flinch.

I reckon that's fair enough. There are plenty of people on forums that love to say how 'mild' .308 recoil is but it's all relative.

If you're used to shooting 30-06, 300 win mag and that neighbourhood of calibre, sure, .308 is mild.

If you're used to only shooting a .22LR .308 recoil is huge.
eeckle
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by headspace » 17 Jan 2014, 11:56 am

I can't say that I ever did flinch. Not being macho or anything but I started off with a .22 then went to a 303 military Lee Enfield ( heavy rifle that). Then it was .243W .270 W and 308. That apart from Military service when we shot 7.62 semi auto with 20 round mags.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Norton » 17 Jan 2014, 1:59 pm

headspace wrote:I can't say that I ever did flinch. Not being macho or anything but I started off with a .22 then went to a 303 military Lee Enfield ( heavy rifle that). Then it was .243W .270 W and 308. That apart from Military service when we shot 7.62 semi auto with 20 round mags.
JD

That's the idea way to do it IMO if possible. A little progression from smaller to larger calibres.

If you'd started out on .308 it probably would have gone a little differently.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by mobo » 23 Jan 2014, 12:20 pm

yoshie wrote:You never do, a lot of people think they do,

Well that's not encouraging :lol:

mobo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by 5Tom » 30 Jan 2014, 9:10 pm

I find these days that I can control my flinch. Not saying that I don't have it, but it's like taking a practice shot before firing. Once I flinch (without firing), I can fire without flinching.

make sense?
5Tom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by pmomd » 31 Jan 2014, 3:44 pm

5Tom wrote:Not saying that I don't have it, but it's like taking a practice shot before firing. Once I flinch (without firing), I can fire without flinching.

Along similar lines, I find I'm worse when I'm out of practice.

If I go to the range a couple of weeks in a row or once I've got a dozen shots under my belt I'm all good.

If I go a few weeks without shooting and lose the muscle memory or whatever, I start flinching again until I've accustomed myself to it again.

Fast to lose it, but quick to regain it again.
CZ 550 Varmint in .308 Winchester.
Ruger Hawkeye in 30-06 Springfield.
pmomd
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by morerams » 12 Aug 2014, 9:46 pm

A lifetime, it is different every day, some times you will go without flinching for a long time, then it strikes again.

It is all in your head and some days you brain is better able to handle things than other days, noise and recoil are only part of the problem, fatigue, fear of missing etc. all contribute to flinching.

It can happen with an air rifle as easily as with an elephant gun.
morerams
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by RDobber » 13 Aug 2014, 9:09 am

morerams wrote:A lifetime, it is different every day, some times you will go without flinching for a long time, then it strikes again.

I still do it occasionally, and not even on the first shot of the day like you'd think.

Do 20 shots perfectly then flinch and ruin the next one for seemingly no reason at all.
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by jennageit » 13 Aug 2014, 10:35 am

Coming up to my first shoot, I'd imagine with a target rifle as that is what these guys do, what are the chances of me flinching first time out?

It'd been 25 years since I fired a gun, and that time it put me on my arse. should I be worried about it guys?

also, is it because of the flinch factor that everyone's been recommending a 22 for me? just curious!

Also, i'm now a little excited and less nervous about tonight, surely that's a good thing!
Back from a break, and ready to shoot again :)
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 13 Aug 2014, 5:59 pm

Try and not worry about it ;)

It's your first shoot so just enjoy it. 22's dont have recoil to speak of more a light tap if anything, just squeeze the trigger gently and try and be surprised when the gun goes off.

Breathe slowly and aim at the same spot even if the bullet didn't hit where you thought it would, have fun :)

It's no biggie :)
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Manimal » 14 Aug 2014, 9:46 am

jennageit wrote:Coming up to my first shoot, I'd imagine with a target rifle as that is what these guys do, what are the chances of me flinching first time out?

Do you know what calibre you're be shooting? A "target rifle" could be a dozen things... To name a few common ones.

.22LR target rifle, no recoil to speak of.

.223 is very mild recoil. You won't have any trouble at all with one of this.

.308 has quite a bit of bang and a kick. It's not out of control but it's about the limit for most first time shooters I reckon. Some will do fine, some may flinch a little.

300 win mag has significant recoil, especially for first time shooters. Not ideal.

There are a dozen other calibres you might find but those are the ones you'll most likely find.

2c.
Manimal
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Prettybird » 14 Aug 2014, 9:47 am

jennageit wrote:It'd been 25 years since I fired a gun, and that time it put me on my arse. should I be worried about it guys?

None of them will knock you on your ass off the bench :lol:

Stress less :P
Prettybird
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by VICHunter » 14 Aug 2014, 10:10 am

jennageit wrote:also, is it because of the flinch factor that everyone's been recommending a 22 for me? just curious!

It is.

The biggest problem with most rifles is the person behind it. At 100m a small movement like a breath can move the rifle enough to put you a cm or two off target. A large movement like a flinch or muscle tensing before putting the trigger will put you off by inches. It only gets worst and range gets further obviously.

It's common enough for an aspiring hunter or long range target shooter to decide they want a 300 win mag without ever firing one. Some get a rude shock when they pull the trigger for the first time. They start flinching and once that sets in it's hard to overcome. Even if they switch to a low recoil rifle it's hard to not flinch on that once that's set in.

With a .22 there is no recoil. You can get all your technique down like trigger pull, grip, breathing etc. without any negative effects getting in the way. Once you're comfortable with all those it's much easier to go up to recoiling cartridges - no negative associations to overcome.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by heron » 14 Aug 2014, 10:10 am

tom604 wrote:aim at the same spot even if the bullet didn't hit where you thought it would

I hate when that happens :lol:
heron
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Hennie Dreyer » 15 Aug 2014, 2:50 am

The day that I realised that my 308 will not/can not/does not want to break my shoulder! :mrgreen: From that day on, I treat her with respect and let her do whatever she wants - as long as I hold her steady, she does not mind :lol:

Jokes aside - 'mind over matter' guys
Hennie Dreyer
Recruit
Recruit

South Africa

Post by jennageit » 15 Aug 2014, 9:19 pm

Well, according to my instructor, I didn't flinch on Wednesday night, so that's a good thing.

I've already let him know that I'll be back there next Wednesday night, so long as my back plays by the rules!

So, no flinch so far, and I'm loving shooting!
Back from a break, and ready to shoot again :)
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by handofcod » 15 Aug 2014, 9:42 pm

Breathing.

I found that once I concentrated more on my breathing and my trigger finger than what happens afterwards I stopped fearing the muzzle blast and the recoil off the bench. Deep breaths, slow and steady, in and out, in and out, squeeze. Bang!

If you still tense up from the recoil breath longer before squeezing.
CZ452 22lr | Remington 5R Milspec in .223 | Tikka Hunter in 300wsm | Ruger Scout in .308
handofcod
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 16 Aug 2014, 9:00 am

mobo wrote:
yoshie wrote:You never do, a lot of people think they do,

Well that's not encouraging :lol:

It's something you have to work on constantly it's a perishable skill, that's why joining a club and practicing is a great idea.

Having said that I'd say the shooters at the com games may have it mastered.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by mobo » 16 Aug 2014, 8:01 pm

Well, I'm not quite at the Olympic level yet so still some ways to go on mastering it then :lol: :D :)

mobo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 16 Aug 2014, 10:07 pm

After around 50 years of shooting I think I still flinch on the odd shot.

I think it started after having no flinch for many years and then tried "free recoil" target shooting and got smacked in the eye by the scope.

Try dry firing, especially if you can get a mate to drop a dummy round in the chamber without you knowing if it's a live round or a dummy and see if you flinch.

I tought pistol shooting many years ago and use to load a revolver with a dummy round or two and watched to see if there was a flinch from the shooter. In the end they didn't know which was loaded and learnt to not flinch from just practise.

I believe it's a mental thing that you can train yourself out of doing but it takes time. I heavy recoiling calibre is not much fun so try shooting a mild calibre.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by sakoman_dlo » 17 Aug 2014, 9:11 pm

Same with what Apollo said, I still do flinch on the odd shot no doubt. For me it was all about gaining consistency in identifying that "comfortable feeling" and remembering how I felt at the bench when I had a few nice shot placements/groupings. Familiarity of this personal form and being able to achieve this consistently was key for me.
Cheers,
D
.223 Tikka T3 Hunter Stainless Fluted, .25-06 Sako 85 Hunter Stainless, .270 Ruger American
sakoman_dlo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Prios » 18 Aug 2014, 8:16 pm

Apollo wrote:I think it started after having no flinch for many years and then tried "free recoil" target shooting and got smacked in the eye by the scope.

It's funny how powerful little things like that can be. Even if you didn't really get hurt you can't stop reacting a little like you did.
Browning T-Bolt 17HMR + Leupold VX-1 4-12x40
Browning X Bolt Hunter 30-06 Springfield + Leupold VX-1 3-9x40
Prios
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Patrol66 » 20 Aug 2014, 5:29 pm

Around 12 months shooting handgun for me
Rem 700- 223, Marlin xt 22, Rem 700 - 30-06 ( not mine , but in my safe )
Patrol66
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by mobo » 21 Aug 2014, 10:43 am

What calibre, Patrol?

Cheers.

mobo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Patrol66 » 23 Aug 2014, 8:31 am

.40 cal CZ 75.

I really miss handguns now :(
Rem 700- 223, Marlin xt 22, Rem 700 - 30-06 ( not mine , but in my safe )
Patrol66
Private
Private

Victoria

Next

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges