Recoil to the Left

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Recoil to the Left

Post by YoungSC » 18 Sep 2018, 9:36 am

When shooting my Howa in an MDT chassis off a bench with a bipod, the vertical recoil seems OK, but the horizontal moves to the left.

When looking through the scope, the final position is on average about half a metre left at 100m. I also notice that the gun is walking to the left on the bench and I have to reposition every now and then.

I'm guessing there may be some deficiency in my positioning? The MDT is adjustable, so I might be able to tweak something.

Interested in your thoughts and experiences.
YoungSC
Private
Private

-

Re: Recoil to the Left

Post by marksman » 18 Sep 2018, 9:45 am

have a look at this YoungSC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLeJ8rRUSXc
:drinks: :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 18 Sep 2018, 10:55 am

I had noticed that with my Howa .223 in its XLR chassis and have found it was down to grip and positioning. When I get it right on there is only rearward recoil. It's a weighty beast, with the chassis, bipod 1kg of scope and a torch mounting rail it's 6.8kg so recoil is negligible if I get my poop in a group.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by YoungSC » 19 Sep 2018, 1:53 pm

marksman wrote:have a look at this YoungSC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLeJ8rRUSXc
:drinks: :thumbsup:

I saw that one. I'm going to have to watch it again a few more times.....maybe while at the range. :lol:
YoungSC
Private
Private

-

Post by YoungSC » 19 Sep 2018, 2:16 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:I had noticed that with my Howa .223 in its XLR chassis and have found it was down to grip and positioning. When I get it right on there is only rearward recoil. It's a weighty beast, with the chassis, bipod 1kg of scope and a torch mounting rail it's 6.8kg so recoil is negligible if I get my poop in a group.

Last night at the rimfire field rifle event, I had a chat with a guy who's being giving me some advice along the way. The thought was that I may be muscling the rifle too much and using too much forward pressure on the bipod.

Using the video above, I can try and see if that makes a difference. Need to prepare some more loads.
YoungSC
Private
Private

-

Post by Gaznazdiak » 19 Sep 2018, 2:55 pm

YoungSC wrote:
Gaznazdiak wrote:I had noticed that with my Howa .223 in its XLR chassis and have found it was down to grip and positioning. When I get it right on there is only rearward recoil. It's a weighty beast, with the chassis, bipod 1kg of scope and a torch mounting rail it's 6.8kg so recoil is negligible if I get my poop in a group.

Last night at the rimfire field rifle event, I had a chat with a guy who's being giving me some advice along the way. The thought was that I may be muscling the rifle too much and using too much forward pressure on the bipod.

Using the video above, I can try and see if that makes a difference. Need to prepare some more loads.

It's amazing the differences in various shooting techniques and how different styles work for some and not others.

I was told I wasn't putting enough load on the bipod to compensate for a physical issue.
I have tremors from a brain injury, and unless I "muscle" the setup and clench everything right down to my blurter, the wobbles make accuracy chancy.

That short video is well done to demonstrate how something as simple as a squeezed thumb or cheek muscle can move your aim point though.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 19 Sep 2018, 7:54 pm

I gave up trying to use a bipod...even though ive had good sucess with them in head poppong foxes n bunnies under spotlight.

I just find trying to get "even" recoil from them when loading them up to be all too hit & miss-recoil left-right-this way-that way etc...in other words i found they magnified the effects of your body & recoil & made it harder to get a feel for your own technique, AND be unpredictable...where as i can controll the recoil (direction) when shooting from a bag.
I also found shooting them from different ground to be another variable--ie; shooting from sandy ground was ok, but shooting from a steel header laying around the farm to be like taming a wild cat...! :wtf: :lol:

In other words, i got too many variables using them with light hunting outfits, & severely lowered my miss rate by eliminating the bipod in the field.

Also the POI i find is very different when shooting very light outfits such as Tikka plastics with light glass-muzzle jump is magnified also...older/heavier outfits weren't as bad (thats what i used to use)

So when hunting now i use a bag or soft waist pack for front rest, & i test/sight in over a sandbag. I find that more consistant. (but i mostly shoot from a car, be it rested out a window or bag over bonnet :thumbsup: ).

The best consistancy i ever got with a bipod was to NOT load it up, & that is for both targets/testing/sighting, as well as shooting live furry hoppy jumpy runny critter things.

I am no expert, this is just what i have found works for me. :unknown: :)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges