Little River less than 100m?

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Little River less than 100m?

Post by wooosaah » 22 Oct 2018, 1:24 pm

Hi,

I have not been to Little River range before. Can you have targets at less than 50/100m?

Currently I have a 22LR rifle and would like to try Little River instead of Springvale.

I'm also planning on getting a 45 Colt lever action, would I be able to use that at Little River? Obviously with no scope I would need targets much closer. Is it OK to shoot standing with this at the range?

Thanks for any advice!
wooosaah
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Little River less than 100m?

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 22 Oct 2018, 7:14 pm

Yes mate, can do any distance from I guess 10/15m. There is a 25m signpost and seen plenty of times ppl put targets earlier than that
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 23 Oct 2018, 7:08 am

Minimum is about 15m but it will depend on the RO on duty. Rimfire steel targets is minimum 50m, centrefire steel targets is minimum 200m, you can not use star pickets to support targets closer than 400m.
You can shoot any legal , registered firearms at Little River, up to and including 50BMG and Cannons.
You can stand, sit, go prone or shoot from the bench.
You can bring your own targets/frames or use the range's.
No tracer, AP or speciality ammo.
All targets must be biodegradable, so no glass or bricks etc. Again depends on the RO. We enjoy the 400m or 500m coke can challenge. Some RO's won't bat an eye shooting tin cans, some will pull you up.
Spinners, gongs and dueling trees are all fine when placed at minimum distances or further. It's simple common sense . If you are acting in a safe manner whilst using safe targets it's pretty much do what you want.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by wooosaah » 23 Oct 2018, 7:59 am

Thank you guys much appreciated
wooosaah
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by marksman » 23 Oct 2018, 11:26 am

talk to the RO at the time you get there to see if what you want is allowable at that time
do not expect the rules to be the same every time you go there, ask the RO at your attendance
expect the rules to change like the Victorian weather, it will depend on which way the wind is blowing to what rules are in place at that time
good luck
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 23 Oct 2018, 2:14 pm

Lol true dat... rules are very dependent on the RO on duty.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 23 Oct 2018, 8:22 pm

Supaduke wrote: , you can not use star pickets to support targets closer than 400m..

Just curious what the basis of this rule is? Can you use square tube instead?
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Supaduke » 24 Oct 2018, 10:16 am

Yes, you can use rod, tube or timber.
The star pickets rule came in as part of sweeping changes following the infamous "ricochet" incident.

I have heard several versions but basically someone shot across the range at a fairly steep angle , hit 'something' and got someone down the other end of the range. Lot of conjecture on what actually happened. The angles on star pickets gave range management the heebie jeebies.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by SillyWetTas » 27 Oct 2018, 5:54 am

So you can't shoot a rimfire silhouette, starts at 25 meters shot at steel?
Or center fire Silhouette , starts at 50 meters at steel?
:crazy:
SillyWetTas
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by marksman » 27 Oct 2018, 5:07 pm

SillyWetTas wrote:So you can't shoot a rimfire silhouette, starts at 25 meters shot at steel?
Or center fire Silhouette , starts at 50 meters at steel?
:crazy:

I wont bore you with all the details of the so called ricochet incident at little river but yes you are dead right
you cannot shoot silhouette at 25 meters off the main range unless you are shooting competition or training with the silhouette club :huh:
the reasoning I was told at that time by the chief RO was that the public shooters on the main range could not be trusted to do the right thing :wtf:
this argument was brought up at that time as a ludicrous rule but went on the deaf ears of the chief RO and the temporary range manager/caretaker at that time who were the ones with the Victorian facility's manager who drafted all the new rules that effected the public shooters and the main range

go and watch a cowboy shoot at the little river raiders shooting steel targets with handgun, shotgun and rifle starting at 5 meters :unknown:
plenty of ricochets there, they are very common, even off shotgun pellets
the little river range treats there public shooters like they are Elmer Fudds :crazy: :allegedly:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 27 Oct 2018, 7:08 pm

Lol
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 28 Oct 2018, 7:46 am

This thread is not making me want to go to a range to shoot!! :lol:
Is this changing of rules and apparent hypocrisy the "norm" or is it just this one in particular?? :unknown: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 28 Oct 2018, 8:09 am

Mate I am not really fussed and get angry easily. You gotta have a bit of thick skin and don't be a Nancy pants. Also I imagine their job instinct the easiest and rather dangerous, and some ppl (sorry i will generalise and say Indians and Chinese) just don't listen and do dumb things (seen too many ppl at the springvale range myself to know the ROs frustration) so if the RO has had a bad day then I take it as they are humans and might vent more than necessary. But I have worked out some RO at little river have different rules one woman orders that mag released and chamber flags in if you not in front of rifle, others dont. Another yelled when I did something dumb... afterwards he came and apologized about yelling and its been good.

Regarding other issues, I put it down to they are old, set in their ways, know it all, and grumpy....j/k but I can't be fkd with politics, so dont really bother, I'll do my thing and get out. Simple.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges