New F-Class open toy

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

New F-Class open toy

Post by MCLE » 22 Jan 2014, 10:07 pm

Hi all,

I took the new toy out for a spin on Sunday to fire form some cases from 6BR to Dasher and was very happy at the results, even when fire forming cases.

We managed to get 9 out of 10 shots into the spotter at 300 yards.The spotter is about the size of a matchbox, maybe a little smaller.

The 6BR is a fantastic little thing, I'm hoping that the dasher is the same with a little bit more zip for the longs.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (5.04 KiB) Viewed 9747 times
MCLE
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: New Fclass open toy.

Post by Guliver » 23 Jan 2014, 5:05 am

Any chance of a larger image?
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by MCLE » 23 Jan 2014, 6:33 am

Sorry having problems placing a pic
Attachments
photo_zps379e8a9b.jpg~320x480.jpeg
photo_zps379e8a9b.jpg~320x480.jpeg (21.58 KiB) Viewed 9714 times
MCLE
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by steyroy » 23 Jan 2014, 8:19 am

That's purty :D

Looks like a good 300 yard shot group to me :)

I bet you're looking forward to seeing how it does with the formed brass next.
Tikka T3 Battue in .308 Win
Savage Model 12 BTCSS .223 Rem
CZ 455 Special in .17 HMR
steyroy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by fuggle » 23 Jan 2014, 10:25 am

Looking good MCLE.

Promising shots for a first time. That's gunna shoot nice 8-)
Howa Sporter in .308
Howa Varminter in .223 ( best rifle ever )
fuggle
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Blackened » 23 Jan 2014, 1:55 pm

Nice MCLE.

When are you getting it to the range with some finished loads?
Blackened

New South Wales

Re: New F-Class open toy

Post by MCLE » 23 Jan 2014, 10:13 pm

Hi I don't shoot at a range like little River very often I usually only shoot Fclass and Varmitting. went out to a mid week shoot today and shot 500y and l was happy with howe it went a lot of mirage running but managed to keep them in the centre and the last 6 were super centres .We were out of proper super centres so used a Couple of white patches that made a rough 1 1/2 inch spot so not to bad.As for running the proper load I have to wait for a 6mm Dasher dies to turn up.So will fire form 400 new Lap brass so we are ready to go when it turns up .
MCLE
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 24 Jan 2014, 10:36 am

Some details on the actual rifle build would be nice. Looks like a March Scope.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by MCLE » 24 Jan 2014, 12:44 pm

It's a Barnard Model P I picked up 2 new Actions consecutive Build numbers.One for my 12 yo son who has started shooting Fclass as well.The smithy is building them as identical as possible so we can use the same Ammo and elevation settings or as close as possible .I have ordered barrels for both of them in 6mm Dasher and 308 and later in the year 6.5x47 Lap.And yes this one has a march 8x80x56 and my sons one has a 12x42x56 Night Force. At 500y yesterday l had 6.1 MOA on and in 6mm dasher the same distance l would have 5 MOA of Elevation so the Dasher does shoot a little flatter.
MCLE
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Xerox » 24 Jan 2014, 12:51 pm

Mind if I ask build costs?
Xerox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by MCLE » 24 Jan 2014, 1:20 pm

No that's fine.You are looking at around $3700 with one Barrel & Barnard model P and $805 per Barrel.This would change depending on the stock that you may go with but that is close to my build cost .l have to go to the smithy on Sunday after a comp I am going to shoot the comp using 6mmBR Fire forming into dasher to get mine finished off and see the other one.The 308 Barrels are turning up next week l hope.All barrels are from Madco we should be finished in a cople of weeks .
MCLE
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Bark » 24 Jan 2014, 1:33 pm

Not too bad considering there are off the shelf rifles for $3-3.5k that probably won't shoot as well.
Bark
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by MCLE » 24 Jan 2014, 2:34 pm

The thing about the Barnards in those stocks that we have had made is they are purpose built to sit flat on a bag at the rear and a 3 inch fore end so it sits on our Coaxial rest so they trak well and you can shoot them easy and let them free recoil ..I have a DTA that l use at times for Fclass as well & I was using my AI AW and they shoot extremity well but becouse they are not made to sit like a Fclass stock in a bag you have to work a dit harder but they shoot well .So l suppose its horses for courses .
MCLE
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 24 Jan 2014, 2:46 pm

MCLE wrote:It's a Barnard Model P I picked up 2 new Actions consecutive Build numbers.One for my 12 yo son who has started shooting Fclass as well.The smithy is building them as identical as possible so we can use the same Ammo and elevation settings or as close as possible .I have ordered barrels for both of them in 6mm Dasher and 308 and later in the year 6.5x47 Lap.And yes this one has a march 8x80x56 and my sons one has a 12x42x56 Night Force. At 500y yesterday l had 6.1 MOA on and in 6mm dasher the same distance l would have 5 MOA of Elevation so the Dasher does shoot a little flatter.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated to know a bit more finer details of those shooting target.

Have not used a Barnard but I know they are a nice action. My main target rifle is based on a Stolle Grizzly II Action, Kelbly 1M Benchrest Stock, Jewel BR Trigger, Pac-Nor Barrels in 6.5x47 Lapua and 30BR and a March-X Tactical 8-80x56mm with MTR-2 Reticle smithed by RPE. Second setup is pretty much the same but based on a Customised Remington 700 Action, Kreiger Barrels and March Long Range 10-60x52mm same reticle smithed by Shane Clancy.

Always wanted to go for F-Class Open but the local NRAA Range has been shut down by the Drop Zone Rules so it's SSAA Benchrest out to 500m and/or at home and a lot quicker to set up and play.

Probably not up your alley but there are a few 6mm Dashers used in 500m Fly and Benchrest with fantastic results. Another really hot one is the 6x47 Lapua but any of these are a dream to shoot with very minimal recoil.

Not on topic but gee, I'm falling in love with the 30BR for short range. What a dream to tune and no need to worry about barrel or cases wearing out.

All the very best with your projects.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by MCLE » 24 Jan 2014, 3:54 pm

Good stuff Apollo yes some of the wild cats out there are interesting.I have heard good things about the 6x47 .You have a Couple of well set up rigs there.My 6.5x47 LAP is a fantastic cal and with a muzzle brake it can be shot by my Daughter.I have heard nothing but good things about the Grizzly .What do u think about the March I like mine and I think it's probably clearer than my S&B PMII. At the end of the day it doesn't matter what you have as long as you enjoy it and get out and give it a go.
MCLE
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 24 Jan 2014, 6:11 pm

I have never owned or looked through a S&B Scope so I can't comment on them but I wanted a scope good enough to see my bullet holes at 500m and the March does that with ease. Saved me a lot of trips out to check targets. Nothing wrong with the Nightforce BR I had except they are really heavy and I do regret selling it and indend buying another now that I'm a scope down. Just got to be careful which rifle the Nightforce goes on for which disipline as it easy puts the whole set up over weight.

Would have a third March but the funds aren't available this time.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Granting » 25 Jan 2014, 3:40 pm

Apollo wrote:I have never owned or looked through a S&B Scope so I can't comment on them but I wanted a scope good enough to see my bullet holes at 500m and the March does that with ease.

They don't come cheap, but they are top glass.

I get behind one every now and then when borrowing a mates bench rifle. Can't afford anything so fancy on my hunting rifles sadly :(
Tikka T3 Camo Stainless 30-06 w/ Zeiss Duralyt 3–12x50
Sako A11 22-250
Remington M514 22LR
Granting
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 25 Jan 2014, 4:28 pm

Granting wrote:
Apollo wrote:I have never owned or looked through a S&B Scope so I can't comment on them but I wanted a scope good enough to see my bullet holes at 500m and the March does that with ease.

They don't come cheap, but they are top glass.

I get behind one every now and then when borrowing a mates bench rifle. Can't afford anything so fancy on my hunting rifles sadly :(

Not sure which one you are referring to but it doesn't matter. Neither of them are cheap and top quality doesn't come cheap.

Beauty of a Picatinny Rail on most of my rifles is I can swap a scope off one and take it hunting / varminting. All good as long as I remember to note the different settings when swapping back.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 25 Jan 2014, 4:41 pm

One of my long range varmint toys maybe F-Class Open one day when I find a range to use. In the meantime varminting & benchrest.

Stolle Grizzly II Action Right Bolt Dual Port, Jewell BR 1.5oz Trigger, Kelbly M1 Long Range Stock (weight system), Pac-Nor NBRSA Heavy Varmint 28.5" Barrel chambered in 6.5x47 Lapua, Ken Farrell 20 MOA Picatinny Steel Rail, Kelbly Rings and March-X Tactical 8-80x56mm Scope.

175m Target. 5 shot group plus sighter / first cold shot below. Not the best group shot but reasonable for conditions.

Last edited by Apollo on 25 Jan 2014, 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Supporter » 25 Jan 2014, 4:57 pm

That's a serious rig you've got there Apollo.

80x scope... :shock:
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Apollo » 25 Jan 2014, 5:04 pm

If you like that toy, he's another.

Remington 700 SA Custom, Jewell 1.5oz BR Trigger, Custom Laminated Stock, Kreiger 26.5" Heavy Varmint Barrel and March Long Range 10-60x52mm Scope. Opps, also 6.5x47 Lapua..... BTW the rear Bag is a SEB Bigfoot weighs about 12kg and the Front Rest is a Farley.

Both these two are also built as "Switch Barrel" to 30BR.

I like my toys.....and the best fun is feeding them.

Last edited by Apollo on 25 Jan 2014, 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by feedr » 25 Jan 2014, 5:07 pm

I like em too :D

Mucho jealousy right now :D
Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in .308 Winchester.
feedr
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by MCLE » 27 Jan 2014, 1:00 pm

Picked up my sons Rifle a twin to mine.In the same calibers as mine 6mm Dasher and 308 so more work coming up running in barrels.We went to a comp on the weekend and I was still fire forming cases and not a lot of shots through the 6mmDasher but it went ok even fire forming cases it still shot better than me . We shot 500y three times tricky wind we managed 59 with 4 58 with 4 and a 57 with 3 ended up with 174 with 11 as you can see l was going the wrong way but l was happy with howe it shot as I haven't done load development yet ....haven't shot it as a Dasher .179 with 12 won it so we weren't completely embarrassed .
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (172.32 KiB) Viewed 9652 times
MCLE
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by MCLE » 27 Jan 2014, 1:09 pm

Only lost a Couple of cases fire forming to to this point .
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (197.85 KiB) Viewed 9651 times
MCLE
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by jays » 27 Jan 2014, 3:46 pm

Is that a split shoulder on the case on the right?
jays
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by MCLE » 27 Jan 2014, 8:03 pm

Yep shore is I split 2 cases out of about 190 they must of been a little hard. The funny thing is it was at a comp on Sunday .laid down for the second 500y the first shot Bang target went down l ejected the case and had a look at it and noticed the split o well I thought it will be interesting to see where it goes bugger me a super.Laid down for the third 500y Bang ejected the case noticed the split and for the same result a super.So I will sacrifice a case for a super all day long.But almost FF all the cases so hope no more split we will see .
MCLE
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by whert » 28 Jan 2014, 8:19 am

For the few split cases, where they brand new? Or shot in something else?

Annealed or not?
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 28 Jan 2014, 11:51 am

The split cases are just part of the game and can happen. Only needs a very slight weak spot or fault even with Lapua Cases.

I have done a few running an expander in a 6mmBR Lapua Case, brand new, expanding it to 30 Calibre. Plenty of lube and going steady but it happens. Feels like a waste throwing a brand new case in the rubbish. About 4 out of the 300 odd I have formed so far.

I'll accept that for such an accurate calibre and pleasure to shoot. Best part here is that once formed, fire formed these cases in this calibre should last well past 50 reloads each.

Nice rifles MCLE, really like the natural finish on the laminate.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Manimal » 28 Jan 2014, 12:34 pm

Apollo wrote:Feels like a waste throwing a brand new case in the rubbish. About 4 out of the 300 odd I have formed so far.

Meh, what's that $3-$4 ?

A drop in the bucket compared to your whole shooting setup.
Manimal
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MCLE » 28 Jan 2014, 4:04 pm

whert wrote:For the few split cases, where they brand new? Or shot in something else?

Annealed or not?

They were New Lap 6mm BR cases and I was fire forming them in the Dasher.Only lost 2 ATM.
MCLE
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Next

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges