Sighting in an old 30-30

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Sighting in an old 30-30

Post by Ecobogan » 23 Feb 2019, 12:51 am

A friend of mine lent me his 30-30 because he couldn't sight it in at all he reckoned
After making sure that it was safe to fire and the barrel wasn't actually bent I let a few rounds through.
After fiddling with the elevation adjustment, which was on the furthest forward setting, I've got it to shoot at about 3 inches to the right at 40 yards fairly consistently.
Googling it came up with 'gently tapping' the rear sight over. That sound right?
From looking up the serial numbers I'm pretty sure it's a 1976 model. Very cool old rifle in slightly above average condition and my mate'll be wrapped if I can help sort it out.
Any tips would be great and will post close ups of the sights if that'd help.
Cheers
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Sighting in an old 30-30

Post by deye243 » 23 Feb 2019, 2:08 am

Tap the rear sight the direction you want poi to go and to stop
Marking the sight base use a small soft head hammer or a piece of dowel about a mil at a time and less when you get close .
If it is a long way from centre when you have it hitting right you may need to drift the front sight to get them centered over the bore ....

Good luck
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 23 Feb 2019, 7:08 am

Aim 3in to the left! ......

:lol: :lol: :friends: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 23 Feb 2019, 7:19 am

We all don't have the same eyes so remember that your friend will have to make some adjustments to suit his own sight picture.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Ecobogan » 23 Feb 2019, 10:14 am

Daddybang wrote:Aim 3in to the left! ......

:lol: :lol: :friends: :drinks:

Hahaha! That's EXACTLY what I was gonna do....OR only can be used on 20kph windy days coming from the right.
Should anyway just for a giggle. :lol:
Like it :lol:
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Ecobogan » 23 Feb 2019, 10:21 am

You've got a 30-30 too I think I read somewhere Fatherbang?
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 23 Feb 2019, 10:52 am

I know somebody who fitted an adjustable peep after owning a 3030 for a very short period. More accuracy and more easily adjusted
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Ecobogan » 23 Feb 2019, 11:02 am

[quote="deye243"]Tap the rear sight the direction you want poi to go and to stop
Marking the sight base use a small soft head hammer or a piece of dowel about a mil at a time and less when you get close .
If it is a long way from centre when you have it hitting right you may need to drift the front sight to get them centered over the bore ....

Thanks mate, will give that a go. I was just a bit dubious about diving straight in and believing the 1st thing I read on the net!
It wont be any McMillan TAC50 but am keen to see how good much better it can be.
I found an old and very daft self help book, screwed it to the tree and that's what I missed by 3inches.
Need to flog ome holes through that sucker for the common good.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll give her a tweak this arv and let you know the field reports.
Cheers :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 23 Feb 2019, 1:05 pm

Ecobogan wrote:You've got a 30-30 too I think I read somewhere Fatherbang?

Yeah mate a 94 ranger that I hated the sights on so whacked a Bushnell trophy trs 25 reddot on. :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 23 Feb 2019, 1:13 pm

Tap the rear sights to the left if its shooting right. Front sights tap to the right.

Try to imagine the sights are staying still and you are moving the rifle. With the rifle pivoting in the centre on its balance point.

You can also imagine a circle with a straight line through it. The straight line being the sights, the circle being the movement of the rifle.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Strikey » 23 Feb 2019, 2:02 pm

Assuming said lever action is a Winnie Mod 94,using a suitable hammer and punch knock the rear sight clean into the bin, go to LGS, purchase a Williams receiver mount aperture sight, fit this to the rifle and be happy ever after. :drinks:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 23 Feb 2019, 4:32 pm

Strikey wrote:Assuming said lever action is a Winnie Mod 94,using a suitable hammer and punch knock the rear sight clean into the bin, go to LGS, purchase a Williams receiver mount aperture sight, fit this to the rifle and be happy ever after. :drinks:

I picked up a Model 94 in .30-30 myself yesterday, it already has a peep on it, though it's a Lyman rather than a Williams. I might get a Williams for it as all my others have them, but I also need to find an original rear sight as it's missing.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 23 Feb 2019, 5:29 pm

Arpeture receivers improves your consistency. I also put interchangable front sights on all of my levers, and then file the blade insert to a point - although so far I’m blessed with good middle-aged eyes touch wood :drinks:
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Ecobogan » 24 Feb 2019, 7:54 am

Strikey wrote:Assuming said lever action is a Winnie Mod 94,using a suitable hammer and punch knock the rear sight clean into the bin, go to LGS, purchase a Williams receiver mount aperture sight, fit this to the rifle and be happy ever after. :drinks:

Might end up doing that! Yes it's a Winchester model 94. Looks like I'll be working today so may not get a chance to do much tweaking... perhaps early evening.
Thanks for the tips on other types of sights as well too fellas. :thumbsup:
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 24 Feb 2019, 9:52 am

bladeracer wrote:

I picked up a Model 94 in .30-30 myself yesterday, it already has a peep on it, though it's a Lyman rather than a Williams. I might get a Williams for it as all my others have them, but I also need to find an original rear sight as it's missing.

This what ya chasing blade??
If it is (off a 94 ranger but think it's the same)
Pm postal address abd I'll send it down (foc)
:drinks:

20190224_094047.jpg
20190224_094047.jpg (845.66 KiB) Viewed 4268 times
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 24 Feb 2019, 9:39 pm

Daddybang wrote:
bladeracer wrote:I picked up a Model 94 in .30-30 myself yesterday, it already has a peep on it, though it's a Lyman rather than a Williams. I might get a Williams for it as all my others have them, but I also need to find an original rear sight as it's missing.

This what ya chasing blade??
If it is (off a 94 ranger but think it's the same)
Pm postal address abd I'll send it down (foc)
:drinks:

The attachment 20190224_094047.jpg is no longer available

I really don't know what it's supposed to look like. According to the serial number, the rifle is a 1981 production.
The offer is greatly appreciated, DB, PM incoming.
Attachments
20190224_210639b.jpg
20190224_210639b.jpg (616.26 KiB) Viewed 4229 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 25 Feb 2019, 8:03 am

No worries Blade :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges