SSAA Belmont rifle range

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Re: Belmont ranges

Post by bigfellascott » 15 May 2015, 7:39 am

Blackened wrote:I imagine most of the, lets call them "enthusiastic", safety measures are more at the instruction of liability lawyers than experienced shooters.

Nope its more to do with the "Ol boys club target shooters" who only feed one round at a time so everyone else should do it! :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by JOY » 15 May 2015, 2:38 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Blackened wrote:I imagine most of the, lets call them "enthusiastic", safety measures are more at the instruction of liability lawyers than experienced shooters.

Nope its more to do with the "Ol boys club target shooters" who only feed one round at a time so everyone else should do it! :thumbsup:

In saying that I'm very sure that they only exist as a club because of those old boys?My uncle shoots down @ that club every weekend :D
JOY
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 15 May 2015, 3:41 pm

JOY wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

In saying that I'm very sure that they only exist as a club because of those old boys?My uncle shoots down @ that club every weekend :D

True enough :thumbsup: Still a PITA having to single feed none the less. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Franky » 17 May 2015, 1:23 pm

Yes but rules are rules and I for one are going to be keeping those rules no matter how much of a PITA they might be they can Bann you from the club other wise
A wise man told me once, "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."
Franky
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Browning » 17 May 2015, 5:46 pm

It's not THAT big a deal single loading.. I actually don't mind it.. Makes you slow down and think about it a bit more.. Rules are rules and it's still more convenient for me to go there and single feed than travel elsewhere..
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Hercl » 18 May 2015, 10:39 am

Browning wrote:It's not THAT big a deal single loading.. I actually don't mind it.. Makes you slow down and think about it a bit more.. Rules are rules and it's still more convenient for me to go there and single feed than travel elsewhere..

It's not a huge deal, no.

It's not my range but I see why people take issue with it, it feels a bit like being treated like a child when every move you make is micro managed "for your own safety".
What is this "too many rifles" you speak of?
Hercl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Browning » 18 May 2015, 5:07 pm

Unfortunately, (and I absolutely hate this) but social rules and norms these days are dictated by the "lowest common denominator" and sadly there are a good few nuffies out there who are deadset clueless.. Take away some of the morons you see who are allowed to walk in off the street and hire a rifle and you would prolly eliminate a good many of the potential problems...
Still, when people can't even follow a rule like stand behind the yellow line,you begin to understand their predicament...
Not saying I agree with the single load rule at all, but it's a busy range, in the middle of a major city, so you're gonna increase your chances of muppets and needing to cater for "the lowest common denominator"...
Again, don't agree with it, but I cop it cos that ranges advantages outweigh the negatives..
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Press » 20 May 2015, 2:51 pm

Hercl wrote:It's not my range but I see why people take issue with it, it feels a bit like being treated like a child when every move you make is micro managed "for your own safety".

That's it.

You're trusted to own the firearm so you should be trusted with using it and not need a babysitter.
Howa 'bout it?

Howa Hunter 308
Marlin 444
Howa Talon 25-06
Winchester 1900 22LR
Press
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Franky » 21 May 2015, 7:15 am

Sorry but I would trust 1/2 the dead beats that are out their owning rifles @ present IMHO
Franky
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Sam45 » 21 May 2015, 11:21 am

Franky wrote:Sorry but I would trust 1/2 the dead beats that are out their owning rifles @ present IMHO

I was thinking the same thing. I was there yesterday with my son, showing and teaching him and having some fun. Oh my..... Different is the only word that comes to mind. :silent:
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wes » 22 May 2015, 3:16 pm

Franky wrote:Sorry but I would trust 1/2 the dead beats that are out their owning rifles @ present IMHO

I'm sure the greens feel the same way about you.

Food for thought, just saying...
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Franky » 24 May 2015, 6:50 am

Wes wrote:

I'm sure the greens feel the same way about you.

Food for thought, just saying...

My own mother feels that way About me :thumbsup:
Franky
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by grizzly » 21 Jun 2015, 6:00 am

Chaps,

Just had a read of this thread. Are there any ranges in NSW that are easy going and a joy to shoot at?

Thinking of my current range the only rule we have is the owner/RO tells everyone when it's clear to fire then checks everyone is clear at the end of the detail before going forward. Goes without saying everyone is expected to follow basic safety rules. Everything else is a free for all.

No range limits, shoot anything from .22lr\birdshot\slug to 50 BMG. No mag capacity nonsense. Prone, kneel or stand. Some of us bring our own targets, bottles, steel gongs, exploding targets whatever and have a wander/chat mid detail to gawp at everyone else's guns. It's $300 a year membership, no other fees at all until you renew the following year. $100 if you have a partner that wants to join. Shoot all day Weds, Saturday and Sunday (clays only) 11am to 5pm 100yards then 200yards. Guest days\bring a non shooting friend once a month, they pay $30. You vouch for them and your responsibility to look after them.

Not all clubs are like this here but it's a joy to shoot at and I've gone from shooting once every couple of months at my old clubs to at least once a week at this one.

I'm guessing I have it good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq7t2geSxXc
grizzly
Recruit
Recruit

United Kingdom

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Jun 2015, 6:40 am

Sounds like yours is a range worth being a member of - not like some of the ol Tea Lady ranges we have here. I'm glad I don't have to be involved with any range to own and use firearms..
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by grizzly » 21 Jun 2015, 6:55 am

bigfellascott wrote:Sounds like yours is a range worth being a member of - not like some of the ol Tea Lady ranges we have here. I'm glad I don't have to be involved with any range to own and use firearms..

Sounds good, do you shoot on your own land? What's the deal in Australia when shooting outside approved ranges? Do people get together and shoot informally in the bush?
grizzly
Recruit
Recruit

United Kingdom

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Jun 2015, 7:29 am

Yeah I have properties I can shoot on whenever I want too.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Herdsman » 22 Jun 2015, 1:12 pm

grizzly wrote:Sounds good, do you shoot on your own land? What's the deal in Australia when shooting outside approved ranges? Do people get together and shoot informally in the bush?

Yep, you can hunt on private land. That's the way to do it for sure if you have the access.

There are parts which are off limits but you can also hunt in the right kind of forests. Victoria in particular has huge areas of usable forest, some of the other states are more restricted.
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Angel » 31 Jul 2016, 8:57 am

I shoot at the caboolture range at burpengary. It is a pistol club but you can fire .22 rim fires there. Thy let you load up your mags there. Its $25 per shoot or you can join the club directly and shoot as much as you want. They are also building a 50m range so thats pretty cool too. The fees to join the club directly are quite high initially but if u shoot regularly it is worth it. More than 10 shoots a year and u break even. If like me u shoot three times a month it is very much worth it.
Angel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by scotty87 » 31 Jul 2016, 11:31 am

Angel wrote:I shoot at the caboolture range at burpengary. It is a pistol club but you can fire .22 rim fires there. Thy let you load up your mags there. Its $25 per shoot or you can join the club directly and shoot as much as you want. They are also building a 50m range so thats pretty cool too. The fees to join the club directly are quite high initially but if u shoot regularly it is worth it. More than 10 shoots a year and u break even. If like me u shoot three times a month it is very much worth it.

Have you heard anything about the NSW R licence course? I spoke to a Charlene, from the club earlier this year they were looking to start running R licence accreditation, I expressed my interest but I haven't heard anything since.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Previous

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges