Moving back to NSW

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Moving back to NSW

Post by Patty93 » 02 Apr 2019, 4:06 pm

Hey guys,

I am likely to return to NSW in the next 6 months and I was wondering what ranges are people shooting around Sydney area?

Are the ranges muzzle brake friendly?
Do they allow you to bring steel targets?
What type of range distances?

My good search shows SSAA ranges seem to be quite average and a lot more ranges don’t appear to be hunter/PRS friendly, but I am hoping i am wrong and you guys will be able to point me in a good direction.

Cheers,

Patrick
Patty93
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Moving back to NSW

Post by Bill » 02 Apr 2019, 7:54 pm

no problem with muzzle brakes

not sure you can can use anything but approved SSAA targets

50m St Marys, 200m at Silverdale, out to 700m at Hornsby and similar at Malabar
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 03 Apr 2019, 6:48 am

Patty93 wrote:Hey guys,
I am likely to return to NSW in the next 6 months and I was wondering what ranges are people shooting around Sydney area?
Are the ranges muzzle brake friendly?
Do they allow you to bring steel targets?
What type of range distances?
My good search shows SSAA ranges seem to be quite average and a lot more ranges don’t appear to be hunter/PRS friendly, but I am hoping i am wrong and you guys will be able to point me in a good direction.
Cheers,
Patrick

Every range is subject to the conditions of it's range approval by the FAR Inspector of Ranges.
No range operator with any sense whatsoever is going to allow visitors to do things which might jeopardise the approval.
So for some of your requirements you might need to find a largish property way west of Sydney in order to have fun.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 07 Sep 2019, 11:06 am

You can't shoot casually at Hornsby or Malabar - designated club competition use only.

So that leaves (ugh lol) indoor 50m at St Marys or trek out to Silverdale (had bad experiences the last time I went there years ago where we were prevented from shooting milsurps lol)

A dilemma I'll be facing when I have to buy a scoped .223 for the first time in the next couple of months on my physio's recommendation...only shot Enfields, Mosins etc for the last 8 years and sighting in scopes is something I know precisely f-all about. If even 50m indoor would be doable in this regard.

So, to a certain extent, comisserations on moving back to NSW mate!

Edit: Damn, just realised what a necropost this was...apologies guys!

Misread it as Aug not Apr :oops: Lol
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 07 Sep 2019, 11:25 am

You can shoot casually at Hornsby or Malabar uness they have a club competition on that day . check ssaa web page
St mary No to muzzel loaders but yes to muzzel brakes I never use ssaa targets for rifle just pistol @ st marys way to big at 50 m.
Silverdale yes for muzzel loaders @ 50 m, rifles out to 200m breaks ok no to steel targets I belive and shot gun clay thrower can get busy
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 18 Sep 2019, 4:40 am

pomemax wrote:You can shoot casually at Hornsby or Malabar uness they have a club competition on that day . check ssaa web page
St mary No to muzzel loaders but yes to muzzel brakes I never use ssaa targets for rifle just pistol @ st marys way to big at 50 m.
Silverdale yes for muzzel loaders @ 50 m, rifles out to 200m breaks ok no to steel targets I belive and shot gun clay thrower can get busy

I actually meant the main range. But from SSAA's Hornsby page:

The range is open almost every Sunday from 1:00pm to 3:30pm provided the day does not clash with a NRA special shooting day. Shooters must register for the last detail before 3pm.

ALERT – NO CENTREFIRES on the 100m Range at Hornsby! – the 100m range can only be used for pistols and rimfire rifle. We do have the use of the main range about twice a month for C/F shooting. Check the calender (link is on our home page) to see if we are shooting C/F on the main range, or R/F on the 100m range.

And Malabar

SSAA Sydney now has the use of the Service Range every Saturday from 9:30am – 3:30pm In addition we open the Range on the first and third Sunday of the month.

Hardly casual in the sense of being able to go there anytime to zero rifles, set up scopes, do load testing etc as in St Marys/Silverdale.
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 18 Sep 2019, 6:29 am

Hill Top range 1hr south of the CBD has been open a few months saturdays and sundays

https://shootingcentre.nsw.gov.au/SHRSC
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges