New shooter, slightly confused about competitive disciplines

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

New shooter, slightly confused about competitive disciplines

Post by Dingo_Lingo » 17 Jun 2019, 10:16 am

Hi all!

I’m just starting to get in to shooting, I’ve done a few “come and try” days and I’m still a bit confused about some of the competition disciplines.

I love the look of Metallic Silhouette (rimfire rifle) but there doesn’t seem to be a lot of clubs that offer that around Brisbane/Ipswich that offer it.

I’d be keen to work towards a goal of competing so I’m looking for something that fits I guess. I’m keen on something you can use a fairly standard rifle with a scope. Bench rest seems to be more about adjusting the rest than shooting at times and I’m not a fan of the peep site target shooting. I’m keen on rimfire as it’s cost effective and I’m new to the sport so it seems a good place to start.

Any suggestions as to what I should be looking into or where I should be starting with all this?

Sorry in advance if I haven’t clarified anything, there is still so much about this sport I don’t know yet!
Dingo_Lingo
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: New shooter, slightly confused about competitive discipl

Post by YoungSC » 17 Jun 2019, 5:06 pm

From my own experience, Field Rifle has practical application when hunting. It's also a constant challenge to improve technique and scores.

My club in WA also does Benchrest and 3P (similar to Field Rifle but harder), but alas no Metallic Silhouette, which I tried once at another club when I was kicking the tyres.

The SSAA website has some useful information about different disciplines. https://ssaa.org.au/disciplines/
YoungSC
Private
Private

-

Post by Dingo_Lingo » 17 Jun 2019, 8:37 pm

YoungSC wrote:From my own experience, Field Rifle has practical application when hunting. It's also a constant challenge to improve technique and scores.

My club in WA also does Benchrest and 3P (similar to Field Rifle but harder), but alas no Metallic Silhouette, which I tried once at another club when I was kicking the tyres.

The SSAA website has some useful information about different disciplines. https://ssaa.org.au/disciplines/

Field rifle looks pretty cool. I might look in to that a bit more. Thanks for pointing it out!
Dingo_Lingo
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Strikey » 17 Jun 2019, 9:19 pm

Rimfire silhouette and Field Rifle are 2 disciplines that seem to compliment each other and help you to be a better rifle shooter, both are shot at Belmont range in Brisbane and I'm not sure about Ripley, long time since I have been there, also if you want to drive up the Sunny Coast the Sunshine Coast branch at North Arm conduct these disciplines. Rimfire silhouette was also shot on a Tuesday & Thursday night at Belmont if weekends aren't convenient. Can PM you some contact numbers if you're keen.
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 17 Jun 2019, 9:39 pm

Dingo_Lingo wrote:Hi all!

I’m just starting to get in to shooting, I’ve done a few “come and try” days and I’m still a bit confused about some of the competition disciplines.

I love the look of Metallic Silhouette (rimfire rifle) but there doesn’t seem to be a lot of clubs that offer that around Brisbane/Ipswich that offer it.

I’d be keen to work towards a goal of competing so I’m looking for something that fits I guess. I’m keen on something you can use a fairly standard rifle with a scope. Bench rest seems to be more about adjusting the rest than shooting at times and I’m not a fan of the peep site target shooting. I’m keen on rimfire as it’s cost effective and I’m new to the sport so it seems a good place to start.

Any suggestions as to what I should be looking into or where I should be starting with all this?

Sorry in advance if I haven’t clarified anything, there is still so much about this sport I don’t know yet!

Talk to the clubs around you, they may be waiting on one last interested party to kick off a Silhouette competition. I'm enjoying Silhouette but getting to comps is virtually impossible, so I do it here at home for my own enjoyment. I have one-fifth (scoped rimfire) and half-scale (Pistol-Caliber Lever-Action open-sight) targets, and I just got a set of tenth-scale (scoped air-rifle) targets - damn these things are tiny!

The Long-Range Precision Series also interests me, and I've been really stretching out the legs of the .22LR, learning about wind effects at longer distances.
There has been some success in clubs doing their own version of F-Class with magazine-fed hunting rifles instead of the normal contraptions they use. If you're lucky one of your local clubs may have some interest in something similar.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 18 Jun 2019, 1:00 am

I recently read about an event called Jungle Lane - haven’t heard nor seen it in Tas or Qld but it looks awesome fun.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges