BotR milsurp competition

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

BotR milsurp competition

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jun 2019, 2:08 pm

Anybody following Bloke on the Range?

Mike is doing a fun milsurp bolt-rifle competition.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R73dRLdMHEukPzwUggOsXJXj8607J5Hc/view
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO33aP77ZjI

I'm not going to Switzerland though so I'm wanting to set it up for myself.
But I wondered if maybe any clubs here might want to take it on as well, any excuse for a bit of fun, right :-)
It could probably be run as a rimfire comp as well with smaller targets at shorter ranges.

The basics are an unmodified military bolt-action rifle as it would've been issued to general troops, FMJ/Match bullets only.

B5 Target.PNG
B5 Target.PNG (145.87 KiB) Viewed 3065 times

Course 1 is at 100m, prone, unsupported, no sling - B5 target. Two sighters in 30-seconds each, unscored. Then ten-rounds in 60-seconds, starting "aimed" with four or five rounds loaded, plus a required five or six-round reload.

Course 2 is at 200m, prone, unsupported, sling optional - B5 target. Then ten-rounds in 60-seconds, starting "aimed" with four or five rounds loaded, plus a required five or six-round reload.

B4 target.PNG
B4 target.PNG (880.84 KiB) Viewed 3065 times
I've messaged Mike to ask details about the B4 target as it is not included in the link he sent me for the B5. I found an undimensioned B4 target here - http://www.hwsportsman.net/SwissB4-100-11x17.pdf

Course 3 is at 300m, prone, unsupported or on a sandbag, sling optional - B4 target. Then three individual rounds in 30-seconds each. Then three-rounds in 30-seconds. Then six-rounds in 60-seconds, starting "aimed" with one rounds loaded, plus a required five-round reload.

At each distance, all shots must be within the scoring zone (1000mm circle) to move to the next distance (do not run out of time!).
Any malfunctions are included in the time/score.

As an aside, something interesting I noticed in the laws there, citizens of some countries are prohibited from even using firearms in Switzerland - Albania, Algeria, Sri Lanka, Kosovo, Macedonia, Bosnia and Hertzegovina, Serbia, and Turkey. Wow!
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: BotR milsurp competition

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 23 Jun 2019, 3:02 pm

So 8f I am from Turkey I cannot shoot in Switzerland.... I am moving to America
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by flutch » 23 Jun 2019, 4:29 pm

some might find those exclusions arbitrary or prejudiced but its their country if they don't want people from those nations being in possession of firearms that is their prerogative, its their nation, their choice, people don't have rights in other peoples nations.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jun 2019, 5:08 pm

Ziad wrote:So if I am from Turkey I cannot shoot in Switzerland.... I am moving to America

I think it's more if you have citizenship from one of those countries. No idea what the reasons are, perhaps something to do with Swiss neutrality? I was mainly just surprised to see such an exclusionist or discriminatory statement in law.

I'm only working with a Google translation of the law, but Mike specifically asked interested parties to check that specific law before entering the competition.
This is the translation:
"CITIZENS OF CERTAIN STATES Art. 7 WG, Art. 12 WV
Acquisition, possession, offering, brokering, transfer of weapons, Weapon components, weapon accessories, ammunition, carrying weapons and shooting with firearms is a member of the following states prohibited in principle:
Acquisition of weapons
• Albania
• Algeria
• Sri Lanka
• Kosovo
• Macedonia
• Bosnia and Herzegovina
• Serbia
• Turkey"

And, just in case the translation is poor and somebody can read German better than I can:
"ANGEHÖRIGE BESTIMMTER STAATEN Art. 7 WG, Art. 12 WV
Erwerb, Besitz, Anbieten, Vermitteln, Übertragung von Waffen, Waffenbestandteilen, Waffenzubehör, Munition, Tragen von Waffen und Schiessen mit Feuerwaffen ist Angehörigen folgender Staaten grundsätzlich verboten:
Erwerb von Waffen
• Albanien
• Algerien
• Sri Lanka
• Kosovo
• Mazedonien
• Bosnien und Herzegowina
• Serbien
• Türkei"
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 30 Jun 2019, 6:37 pm

This shows the target dimensions:
B5 Target Dimensions.jpg
B5 Target Dimensions.jpg (168.95 KiB) Viewed 2946 times

The B5 target within the 2/3 ring is scored 3 points for hitting the silhouette, 2 points for missing the silhouette. The 5-ring "bull" is 150mm dia. The silhouette is 450mm wide by 410mm tall, with the "head box" 200mm wide by 90mm tall on top of it.

The B4 target used at the 300m distance is _slightly_ different.
There is no 5-ring, the 4-ring "bull" is 200mm dia. and not a lighter colour than the silhouette, the 2/3 ring is scored the same way as the B5 target. The silhouette is _slightly_ different (basically it's 35mm lower down the board), but near enough I think that using the B5 target at all distances would be just fine. You could also do a "pencil line" 35mm for the 300m distance if you wanted to (I can't see 35mm elevation difference being relevant to the score). But the main difference I think, is that the target is "camouflaged" to be more difficult to see. It's pretty much the colour of MDF sheet so I'm just going to stencil the silhouette onto a 3mm MDF board.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 01 Jul 2019, 4:12 am

Looks like your standard Swiss style matches with perhaps some variation.

I would like to compete in Switzerland some day. I found a few hours from my home there is a club that runs Swiss matches several times a year, so hopefully I can learn the ropes there.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by No1Mk3 » 01 Jul 2019, 1:38 pm

Comp seems to be a modified version of a 3P but without the position changes and number of shots per range evened out. Also we don't allow sighters. Might be a better shoot for me with my lung problems I find the position changes in 3P are causing breathing problems occasionally which affect my shooting. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 01 Jul 2019, 1:44 pm

wanneroo wrote:Looks like your standard Swiss style matches with perhaps some variation.

I would like to compete in Switzerland some day. I found a few hours from my home there is a club that runs Swiss matches several times a year, so hopefully I can learn the ropes there.

I think it basically is their standard sort of comp.
I did look at some Swiss sites but couldn't totally make sense of the translations.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 01 Jul 2019, 2:00 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:Comp seems to be a modified version of a 3P but without the position changes and number of shots per range evened out. Also we don't allow sighters. Might be a better shoot for me with my lung problems I find the position changes in 3P are causing breathing problems occasionally which affect my shooting. Cheers.

I hate sighters, and people calling out hits for the shooter. Practical shooting isn't just about hitting the targets, it's also about being able to tell that you hit the target, without relying on somebody else to tell you.

I think in Switzerland they're particularly antsy about shooters spraying the countryside instead of the targets, which would explain why Mike had to build-in some "sighters" on the 300m target. If they were simply scored that would be fine, but to have them marked individually is clearly to allow sight adjustment.

I was pretty bad with asthma due to both parents smoking when I was a kid. I had an episode in 2010 that put me in ICU for six-hours to do my breathing for me. Since then I've kept on top of preventative medicine and haven't had any trouble since, except pneumonia in 2015 that nearly killed me. My lungs aren't great, but I have been thinking about including the sprint from the 100m to the 200m, and the 300m shooting positions as part of the shoot.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Jul 2019, 10:26 pm

I've painted some targets on 1200x900mm sheets of 3mm MDF, but I thought I'd try to buy some originals as well.
From Switzerland the targets cost 2.05 and 2.6 Swiss francs each, about A$2.80 and A$3.65, not bad at all for printed one-metre square targets.
However, the company I was chatting with charge 25 francs to ship internationally, on top of the postage.
Five of each target is 23.25 francs (about A$32.50), by the time I get them they're A$130, not worth it. A$13 apiece when sheets of MDF are only $8 apiece and a can of black paint is $3.65.

I just need some decent weather without the winds we've been having, and ideally without too much rain for an hour.
Attachments
20190711_165807b.jpg
20190711_165807b.jpg (70.26 KiB) Viewed 2830 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges