First time shooting (ever) at Little River. Help.

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

First time shooting (ever) at Little River. Help.

Post by Nomis » 01 Aug 2019, 5:01 pm

G'Day all,

I'm a brand new shooter and I am planning a trip to SSAA Eagle Park/Little River (which one is correct?) in the near future now that my license and PTAs have come through.
My issue is that I've never shot before so I'm going in cold. I'm very much on top of the safety aspects but I'm a bit anxious about committing some cardinal sin that I'm not aware of when I get to/am at the range.

Is anyone willing to walk me through the process from parking to car onwards? I assume I leave my bagged/cased guns in the car and sign in and then they allocate me a booth? I'm interested in getting my 22 sighted in at 25m to start with and then going out to 50m from there.
I've got some targets and ear protection so that's sorted.

Any help or advice appreciated!
Nomis
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: First time shooting (ever) at Little River. Help.

Post by dhv » 01 Aug 2019, 5:04 pm

Go have a chat to the range officer first and ask them what's expected.
dhv
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 01 Aug 2019, 5:59 pm

G'day Nomis, on arriving at the range, go through the 2nd gate and park, go over to the main office and sign in, pay the range fee, buy targets/frame/ammo etc and tell them you are a new shooter. They will direct you to Range 2, past the former Main range which is undergoing repairs. Park somewhere, leave your guns in the car and go see the RO to get a bench allocation, tell them you are a new shooter and not completely familiar with how the range operates regarding cease fires, gun clearance etc and they will tell you what you need to know to set up and begin. In answer to your query, the range name is SSAA Eagle Park, which is located in the locality of Little River, so many of us use both names inter-changeably, especially those of us old enough to have been shooting there before it was called Eagle Park! When are thinking of going? There may well be some members here who will be at the range and I am sure they would be only too happy to help you, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 01 Aug 2019, 6:08 pm

You can't really go wrong mate, just listen to the RO.

Firstly either name is correct. I think it's formally called Eagle Park.
When you get there leave the guns in the car and go to the office to pay for your seat. Explain to the staff behind the counter it's your first time and they will run you through what you need (High vis vest if going out to 200m or beyond, and a bore flag for during cease fire) though I think they go over it regardless. If you dont have a target frame you can buy or hire one there. You can also buy targets there if you want, id suggest printing some out at home on A4, a lot cheaper (also don't forget to bring cardboard , large bulldog clips and masking tape).
From there go show the RO your receipt and they'll assign you a seat. They will ask you the calibre you are shooting to try sit you with others shooting similar sizes.
If during a cease fire you'll need to wait for the range to 're-open' before you can bring your gear to bring it up to your seat and setup (strictly no firearms to be touched during 'all clear' during a cease fire ['all clear' meaning the RO has inspected all rifles and is confident all are completely unloaded to which you are then allow to walk down range]).

Edit: No1Mk3 must have beat me by a couple of mins.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Nomis » 01 Aug 2019, 8:06 pm

Thanks for the quick replies!

Can I buy bore flags at the store there? I don't have any but will be going to my local gun shop tomorrow so could get some there if I need to.

Can I shoot my 22 and Swedish Mauser from one bay or will I need to switch bays when I switch rifles?

I should be at Little River early on Saturday, weather permitting. My plan is to get there before it gets busy (if it gets busy) so I've got time to have a chat to the ROs and take my time with things/not feel rushed.
Nomis
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 02 Aug 2019, 7:58 am

You get allocated a bench... and can shoot any gun from there. Just get a flash from the range office they are cheap... preferably get 1 for every gun you take there as whole they are on the ground or in the bag on the range they need to have a flag in them.

The range opens before 9am, best to get there by 8.30. DO NOT bring your guns out. Talk to the RO in orange vest. Then take your target and set it up. At 9am the range will open then you bring your guns out of your car.

Silly thing... but remember to lock your car when you not in it.. guns should not be left in an unattended vehicle.

And if the RO yell at you.. don't worry its the standard greeting :sarcasm:
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by marksman » 02 Aug 2019, 4:14 pm

when you get there as explained park your car then go straight to the office and pay your fees so you are covered by the range insurance
being new ask the counter staff for a range rule book, they should be giving you this without asking being new to the range but dont get too attached to it as you will find out that it depends on which way the wind is blowing and how the RO is screwing up his mouth to what rules are to be used today, and what ones he will make up at that time :lol: dont worry though if you dont like it wait a while and that will change just like the Victorian weather with 4 seasons in one day :drinks:

while you are there ask about when the roof on the main range will be completed :drinks: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I forgot to add that if the RO does decide to scream at you do not scream back as I was told that a one eyed RO there was passing on information to the police about shooters who they decided were unruly because of the way they were treated, do not get angry get your phone out and take a little movie to put up on u-tube for a laugh :lol: :lol: good luck :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 02 Aug 2019, 7:41 pm

Lol they aren't that bad mate... generally
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by HomeBrew » 02 Aug 2019, 10:31 pm

A couple of practical things:
1. Use packing tape to secure your target to the frame. The supplied pegs are useless.
2. A picnic blanket makes the concrete bench more comfortable and your guns won't get scratched.
3. Carry a hammer when setting up target frames.
4. Expect wind.
HomeBrew
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Nomis » 03 Aug 2019, 5:28 pm

Update time!

Got to the range at about 9.30 and checked in. Staff were very welcoming and helpful.

Saw the RO at range 2 and she welcomed me when she heard I hadn't been before. Explained everything really clearly and was very nice. Didn't get yelled at!

Set all my stuff up and waited for the next cease fire. Went out and set my target up and got shooting.

The whole operation was run very well and I really couldn't fault it. I only saw the ROs get grumpy at 2 people and they both deserved it (approaching their benches during cease fire).

Thanks for everyone's advice and help. Very much appreciated. Now I've just got to figure out when I can get out there again!
Nomis
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 03 Aug 2019, 6:12 pm

Really glad you had a good day considering what a lousy day it was, but at least the wind wasn't bad! Better days are coming, the range will be fixed (one day) and things can only get better, look forward to running into you one day, though I only go on Sundays, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Nomis » 04 Aug 2019, 7:35 am

Cheers No1! Looking forward to more.
Thankfully the rain held off. Just need to bring better tape next time and get a better front rest.
Nomis
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges