Bit of help needed with sights

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Bit of help needed with sights

Post by ysu » 22 Sep 2019, 3:00 pm

G'day gents.
I'm a new fullbore TR shooter.
I've got an old Sportco 44 second hand, with a barrel that hasn't been used much; all in all it shoots very nice & accurate.

However, all the sights (front & rear) are borrowed ones on it, and I'll need to get something of my own.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me.

When I look at rear sights online, they all seem to be fitting on some kind of rail on top (but I'm not sure) and I don't know what the fitting on mine is called. It's a short rail on the side. (I can provide a photo if that helps)

New sights online are also usually very expensive. I'm not sure what exactly will I need and very reluctant to jump into a thousand-dollar purchase that may not be good in the end.

Any pointers, advice, gents? Maybe someone has and old sight lying around? Online searches return rather little.

Even a second hand simple (koala) 22mm front with an eagle eye would do well for me - that's what I'm currently borrowing, and some simple rear sight.

Edit: I've since identified the sight, it's a "Central" one. So the question changes a bit; can it be replaced with a modern one, can they fit onto this type of mount or I need to get a used "Central"?
ysu
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Bit of help needed with sights

Post by Wm.Traynor » 23 Sep 2019, 9:29 am

Just for a start and to keep it simple, is there any chance that you could buy what you are using?
I ended up with Sumo foresight rings, which are/were (then) available in various widths. That is, the annulus-width, which refers to the metal around the hole. On their own, these are expensive enough but if you guess wrong and they don't suit even with an optical correction at the rear sight, you can spend hundreds. It's a rich man's sport and has been for a loooong time I reckon.
As for Central, I don't think they are made any more and you know how dear the options are, as you say.

I hope others can give you some good news mate. Good Luck :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 23 Sep 2019, 9:49 am

There are still central sights made and more than one or two people who Re furbish the sights. Fitting them to that little side rail is the standard practice. Your best option is to make contact with your local NSWRA registered club https://www.nraa.com.au/associations-clubs/ find out if they have Target Rifle shooters some clubs may only have f class but most still have a few TR guys. Then go along and talk to people they will be more than happy to introduce you to every person that has a TR and explain and let you look through the sights point you in the right direction.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by pomemax » 23 Sep 2019, 11:48 am

https://www.sarastore.com.au/images/sup ... a-cent.jpg
you may find some at the gunshow I have seen them at penrith gun show but never priced them as all my omarks are drilled and tapped for scopes.
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 23 Sep 2019, 1:19 pm

sungazer wrote:There are still central sights made .

I had no idea, sungazer. Years ago, after asking for one at the $%^, I was handed an English Lynx with some sort of explanation that led me to believe that they were out of business. Just goes to show doesn't it :oops:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Strikey » 23 Sep 2019, 9:13 pm

ysu wrote:G'day gents.
I'm a new fullbore TR shooter.
I've got an old Sportco 44 second hand, with a barrel that hasn't been used much; all in all it shoots very nice & accurate.

However, all the sights (front & rear) are borrowed ones on it, and I'll need to get something of my own.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me.

When I look at rear sights online, they all seem to be fitting on some kind of rail on top (but I'm not sure) and I don't know what the fitting on mine is called. It's a short rail on the side. (I can provide a photo if that helps)

New sights online are also usually very expensive. I'm not sure what exactly will I need and very reluctant to jump into a thousand-dollar purchase that may not be good in the end.

Any pointers, advice, gents? Maybe someone has and old sight lying around? Online searches return rather little.

Even a second hand simple (koala) 22mm front with an eagle eye would do well for me - that's what I'm currently borrowing, and some simple rear sight.

Edit: I've since identified the sight, it's a "Central" one. So the question changes a bit; can it be replaced with a modern one, can they fit onto this type of mount or I need to get a used "Central"?

Think I still have a set of Centrals that came off an old Omark I had, you can have them if you want to go that way :thumbsup:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 23 Sep 2019, 10:42 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:
sungazer wrote:There are still central sights made .

I had no idea, sungazer. Years ago, after asking for one at the $%^, I was handed an English Lynx with some sort of explanation that led me to believe that they were out of business. Just goes to show doesn't it :oops:

There are certainly makers that have gone out of business but ther are still a lot of old gunsmiths who take over some of these even if they themselves are retired just to repair the ones in use.

But look in the Q store https://www.q-store.com.au/shop/categor ... sights-157 still a lot of parts available in big stores. I dont know the maker but I do no there is one through conversation but they are the price of good scope. I too am looking for a good old one for a gun club gun but dont have the money to spend for new.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by ysu » 06 Oct 2019, 10:14 am

Thanks for all the responses, gents!
I've finally met with more local shooters, one of whom had an old central - so I'm all set now, thankfully!

ps, I did not get any notifications of the responses, hence I wasn't even aware I got them - regardless, thank you!

I've also found that you *can* indeed buy central sights, and don't even have to pay through the nose - but you need to call around.
There are some used (but good condition) ones available for $80-$100, eg at the SA rifle assoc.

This might help someone else looking for a sight in the future.
ysu
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges