A Question About Benchresting

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

A Question About Benchresting

Post by Wm.Traynor » 23 Sep 2019, 1:08 pm

How do benchresters deal with their over-the-head-hearing-protection, inducing horizontal movement in their rifle, by contact with the comb? I have installed high rings to raise the height of the scope, in the hope that my head would be high enough for the OHHP to clear the comb but without success. I avoid any other contact by "pinching" the trigger; thumb contacting the back of the trigger guard, finger pad on trigger.

Short of cutting a piece out of the comb, I don't know what else to do. I wouldn't do that BTW. I would make another, more accommodating stock which is a lot of trouble, so I thought I would ask here first.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Re: A Question About Benchresting

Post by Apollo » 23 Sep 2019, 3:56 pm

The easiest answer is they don't induce any horizontal movement since they don't contact the rifle stock. Next would be what comb as most benchrest rifles don't have a comb as such. High rings, how high and are they mounted on a dovetail or on a rail. How about a photo of the rifle..

Very few I know use the "pinch the trigger" method, a couple raise their head away from the rifle before they fire. I'm not comfortable with either method. My cheek and trigger hand exert very little if any pressure on the rifle, more of a very light touch just enough to know you have contact. Head is upright if the position is correct, no leaning over the stock. Slim line ear muffs and if they aren't enough protection then ear plugs as well.

Photo of a friend sitting at his rifle at a 500m Benchrest Competition.
Attachments
tn_DSCN0544.jpg
tn_DSCN0544.jpg (119.07 KiB) Viewed 3061 times
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 23 Sep 2019, 4:56 pm

Thanks Apollo. Every picture tells a story. That's an excellent pic :D :thumbsup: My ear muffs are "industrial grade" Peltor X4A 290. Definitely not slimline; bought to protect what little hearing I have left. Also, mine is a CZ455 with a synthetic sporting stock. Nothing fancy. Rings are on the factory dovetail and maybe I need a rail too, eh? :) Come to think of it, I could have been more upright, So there's something to work on and I don't like the pinch method much anyway, so I'll ditch it now.
I wanted to post a pic of the group but the old host ( https://postimages.org)that I was using has changed everything and it put me right off. (The pic needed resizing)
Might set up a bit of a bench in the garage and do some experimenting.
Thanks mate :) :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 23 Sep 2019, 5:12 pm

They tell me chopper Read was a decent bench shooter - maybe you could remove just your right ear?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Apollo » 23 Sep 2019, 6:08 pm

Oh, a Rimfire. Shouldn't need much in the way of ear protection but then again maybe you are shooting other than a designated Rimfire day. The Benchrest Rimfire I do is 200 Yard Fly Competition and all ammo is standard (sub) velocity so nobody wears any form of ear protection. Gee, if you did you wouldn't know if your round had actually gone off or not. Most all rifles, except mine are Custom Benchrest, but I can stay with the top runners using my "Rabbit Gun"

Photo of my 1965 Brno Model 2 in Benchrest Mode...ie 20MOA Picatinny Rail and a March EP Zoom 36-55x52mm. Using Lapua Center-X Ammo it is very accurate putting 5 shots in the same hole most of the time at 50m when I do shoot that close a range which is not very often.

Picatinny Rail from Delta Tactical and is very handy swapping to a smaller power and much lighter scope.

Even with my Industrial Peltor muffs I never had much of a problem with any rifle other than if I didn't sit properly and have my stool at the right height they would touch the top of the stock just. Re-position sitting position and solved, mostly stool too high so lower it and sit upright.

BTW... my images are Resized 1024x768 using Advanced Image Resizer, unregistered version on the computer.
Attachments
tn_DSCN0032_001.jpg
tn_DSCN0032_001.jpg (127.34 KiB) Viewed 3033 times
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 23 Sep 2019, 6:10 pm

TassieTiger wrote:They tell me chopper Read was a decent bench shooter - maybe you could remove just your right ear?

There has to be one in every crew... Who's Chopper Read..??
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 23 Sep 2019, 6:53 pm

Apollo wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:They tell me chopper Read was a decent bench shooter - maybe you could remove just your right ear?

He makes some catchy ringtones for your 'phone Apollo.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 23 Sep 2019, 7:11 pm

Thank you again Apollo. Got all that thanks :D
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Stix » 23 Sep 2019, 7:14 pm

SCJ429 wrote:
Apollo wrote:

He makes some catchy ringtones for your 'phone Apollo.

And sometimes there's two in a crew... :D

And then,,,sometimes three...!!
:lol:

I guess you could say, that along with those ring tones, Chopper was a bloke who stood firm on his morals Apollo...and he thought ears got in the way too...!!

By the way...that front rest the Brno is on- :shock: -where did it come from...?...you rip the control panel out of the lunar lander...?...sheesh...!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Apollo » 23 Sep 2019, 7:24 pm

Stix wrote:By the way...that front rest the Brno is on- :shock: -where did it come from...?...you rip the control panel out of the lunar lander...?...sheesh...!!

That is a Farley Coaxial Joystick Benchrest... Front Rest.

Pretty standard equipment for serious competition or these days a SEB. Neither cheap.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Strikey » 23 Sep 2019, 9:22 pm

Apollo wrote:
Stix wrote:By the way...that front rest the Brno is on- :shock: -where did it come from...?...you rip the control panel out of the lunar lander...?...sheesh...!!

That is a Farley Coaxial Joystick Benchrest... Front Rest.

Pretty standard equipment for serious competition or these days a SEB. Neither cheap.

A Farley, March scope with Kelbly rings and is that a SEB Bigfoot rear bag?? Nice bit of value adding to the old Brno :lol: :lol: :lol: :sarcasm:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Apollo » 24 Sep 2019, 9:50 am

Actually the rings are from Trentech in Brisbane and yes, rear bag is a SEB Bigfoot.

The scope and rings should be on my Panda 6mm PPC Benchrest but that gets very little use.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges