Ripley Range QLD

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Ripley Range QLD

Post by Dingo_Lingo » 28 Nov 2019, 7:40 pm

hi ya’ll,

I’ve never been to Ripley before (even though it’s 10 minutes away) and I was wondering a few things...

What are the range fees? I am a SSAA member.

Do they have a little shop on site? Do they sell targets?

Do they have shooting rests there to use or hire?

With the no bag thing, can you take 2 rifles in and just leave one in the rack?

Cheers for your help! I do get a little nervous about doing the wrong thing at these places.
Dingo_Lingo
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Ripley Range QLD

Post by 8x57 » 28 Nov 2019, 8:45 pm

It’s a great range, I think the fee is $7 for SSAA members, shop on site sells targets, clays some ammo, cold drinks and sausage rolls but it’s cash only.
They have free shooting rests on most benches and you can take as many rifles as you can carry, best thing to do is sign in first then get your rifles from the car.
It’s a great range if you got any questions just ask the other ranges users, there is lots of good people there.
8x57
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 28 Nov 2019, 9:07 pm

Best place to shoot ripley you cant go wrong.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Dingo_Lingo » 29 Nov 2019, 6:41 am

Cool, thanks for the info guys, keen to get down there and have a shoot!
Dingo_Lingo
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 29 Nov 2019, 9:08 am

[b][/b]
Dingo_Lingo wrote:hi ya’ll,

I’ve never been to Ripley before (even though it’s 10 minutes away) and I was wondering a few things...

What are the range fees? I am a SSAA member. $10 FOR SSAA MEMBERS, $15 FOR OTHERS. BRING CASH, NO EFTPOS.

Do they have a little shop on site? Do they sell targets? YES

Do they have shooting rests there to use or hire? YES, RESTS AND SANDBAGS

With the no bag thing, can you take 2 rifles in and just leave one in the rack? BRING IN AS MANY AS YOU'RE GOING TO SHOOT AND STAND THEM IN THE RACKS. JUST TAKE THEM OUT OF THE BAGS/CASES AT YOU CAR, AND CARRY THEM WITH ACTION OPEN / BROKEN [AND UNLOADED OBVIOUSLY]

Cheers for your help! I do get a little nervous about doing the wrong thing at these places.
Member-Deleted

Post by Sketchy243 » 29 Nov 2019, 10:59 am

Fantastic range just remember to bring cash as the do not have EFTPOS
Sketchy243
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Sketchy243 » 29 Nov 2019, 11:02 am

And also remember to staple your target to the backing board before walking down range to hang it
Sketchy243
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 29 Nov 2019, 2:49 pm

There’s been a policy change at this range recently that you must sign in first before taking any rifles in to the range or grabbing a bench . Just for the information of shooters who haven’t been there before, guns are placed in the racks during cease fire with the actions open, and your not permitted to handle rifles during cease fire also . And as stated previously, guns are to be carried in with actions open or bolts removed. No bags or cases on site, leave them in your vehicle . The rules are different from Belmont, so I thought I would give forum members a heads up . A great place to shoot though, I’d camp there, but I’m not allowed :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 29 Nov 2019, 4:09 pm

No bags...sheesh whats the world coming to...?
Is that to stop all the crazies that regularly mow down people with guns hidden in their gun cases...? :roll:

DOnt tell me you have that much of a problem up there that people walk in with loaded firearms... :unknown:

What if you have a nice rifle with immaculate walnut you dont want damaged...?...you have to stand it in someones racks...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by 8x57 » 29 Nov 2019, 4:11 pm

What if you have a nice rifle with immaculate walnut you dont want damaged...?...you have to stand it in someones racks...?

Yes you would
8x57
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 29 Nov 2019, 4:19 pm

Stix wrote:No bags...sheesh whats the world coming to...?

DOnt tell me you have that much of a problem up there that people walk in with loaded firearms...

No, we don't have any problems with it... not since the first time [which funnily enough was also the last and only time] some knobber carried a loaded rifle in a bag onto the range, unpacked it at the bench, opened the action and oopps, out popped a live round.... FFS
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 29 Nov 2019, 4:28 pm

like most laws and rules, we're just trying to regulate for the dumbest common denominator
Member-Deleted

Post by bigrich » 29 Nov 2019, 8:27 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:
No, we don't have any problems with it... not since the first time [which funnily enough was also the last and only time] some knobber carried a loaded rifle in a bag onto the range, unpacked it at the bench, opened the action and oopps, out popped a live round.... FFS

i heard about that . that's why the no bag rule is in place

about two years ago i was on a bench next to a guy who fired a 308 round through his 270 tikka and blew the bolt up , his face was a bit cut up and it scared the crap outa me , hell of a bang ,i use different colour ammo boxes after seeing this poor fellas mistake

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by CAVEMAN » 30 Nov 2019, 4:56 pm

Does anyone know if they allow the use of magazines both tubular and box?
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Nov 2019, 5:29 pm

CAVEMAN wrote:Does anyone know if they allow the use of magazines both tubular and box?

yes and no. You can have a magazine fitted but only have one round in it at a time i.e. you can't sit there and cycle through a 10 or 20 round mag.
the exception to that is if you are testing a magazine for function. In that case you can get R.O. approval to load more than one round - but the R.O. will supervise that test, then you're back to one at a time.
Member-Deleted

Post by CAVEMAN » 30 Nov 2019, 5:33 pm

Well that takes half the fun from it cheers mate. The rules down south seem a bit more restrictive.

CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 30 Nov 2019, 7:25 pm

CAVEMAN wrote:Well that takes half the fun from it cheers mate. The rules down south seem a bit more restrictive.

It’s all to do with insurance, health and safety compliance, and the fact that some people have sh!t for brains with no common sense. In this beurocratic , political correctness mine field, one accident and the range would get shut down.
It’s rules like this that protect the range from stupidity :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by CAVEMAN » 30 Nov 2019, 7:34 pm

Yeah you don't appreciate what you have till you see the other side. There's a lot to be said for the quieter ranges out of the way.

CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 30 Nov 2019, 9:27 pm

CAVEMAN wrote:Yeah you don't appreciate what you have till you see the other side. There's a lot to be said for the quieter ranges out of the way.

yeah, ripley used to be a lot quieter , where people were trusted to have common sense. SSAA state has been playing politics with ripley , and trying to exert certain influences and preasures, we lost a good RO due to trumped up accusations from a result of the RO not putting up with bullying tactics by a state member . the RO position was done as a volunteer job when shooting at the range at one point , i'd done it many times myself . that's how much i liked the place . it's still good , but not as laid back as it was. ripley has been inundated by people from belmont , because of the cost of shooting at belmont . i've only been back to belmont six times in the last three years, and half of those times i found some staff members flat out rude . if i lost ripley i think i would rather drive out to warwick or beaudesert rather than belmont

JMHO :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by CAVEMAN » 01 Dec 2019, 6:49 am

On that note what are the options for going further affar for a nice range instead of hanging around the city?

I'm moving down from north Queensland and looking for somewhere that's casual and easy to shoot at.

CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 01 Dec 2019, 9:46 am

CAVEMAN wrote:On that note what are the options for going further affar for a nice range instead of hanging around the city?

I'm moving down from north Queensland and looking for somewhere that's casual and easy to shoot at.

that depends on where you settle really. the human condition is whats at work here, there's no garuntee that some regional club won't have it's ego trippers and control freaks . i like ripley , but it's getting busier , and WL wont allow any more range space at this point . i like the social aspect of shooting at my local range, i've met some interesting characters and made some good friends , and i love discussing the technical and historical aspects of firearms. but i'd prefer to be out in the paddock ,even if just to see great scenery and native wildlife , i saw a spotted qoull ( a native marsupial spotted ferret is the best description ) one night while spotlighting , along with wedgies, crimson rosellas, echidnas ,lace monitors and curious deer with no fear on some trips . the drought and bushfires haven't helped the situation much to get out and about, hopefully the rain will get here soon :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Dingo_Lingo » 01 Dec 2019, 10:07 am

So I went out to Ripley this morning, I have questions.

Do people camp out over night to get a bench? I was there a bit before 9 and the place was packed. every bench was taken and there was a bunch of people waiting for a space. How early you need to get there to get a spot? Out of Saturday and Sunday, which is quieter?

This is an odd one, but why are people shooting large caliber rifles at 25 meters? Seemed to be a VERY popular thing down there. Is there some sort of comp for it?

I hope to actually get to shoot there at some point, looks like a good range, just SUPER busy :-(
Dingo_Lingo
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 01 Dec 2019, 10:22 am

Dingo_Lingo wrote:So I went out to Ripley this morning, I have questions.

Do people camp out over night to get a bench? I was there a bit before 9 and the place was packed. every bench was taken and there was a bunch of people waiting for a space. How early you need to get there to get a spot? Out of Saturday and Sunday, which is quieter?

This is an odd one, but why are people shooting large caliber rifles at 25 meters? Seemed to be a VERY popular thing down there. Is there some sort of comp for it?

I hope to actually get to shoot there at some point, looks like a good range, just SUPER busy :-(

sunday morning is the busiest , it should calm down after lunch . saturday can be odd , it can be busy or quiet . why do people shoot large calibers at 25 metres :unknown: well there are some that shoot "big game" comps out there , 9.3x62 , 416's nice bunch of fellas . one of them used his 9.3x62 in a field rifle comp i was in , low powered scope and all , and did VERY well . others are just wallys who like to get punched in the shoulder with a 45-70 and make loud noise . but hey , if it's their brand of fun , and their happy ,so be it

having said that i was out there on friday , the guy next to me had a 16" barreled 30-06 columbian mauser :o man, what a blast . we had a muzzle blast comp with me shooting my 8x57 with 20" barrel and giggling like a loony :lol: can't wait to point this at a pig ..... ;)

bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by 8x57 » 01 Dec 2019, 11:55 am

[quote="Dingo_Lingo"]So I went out to Ripley this morning, I have questions.

It’s definitely got busy out there the last few years, it’s also open Friday and Monday I’ve been going on Mondays still busy but you can always get a bench.
8x57
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 01 Dec 2019, 12:50 pm

Lol even in Melbourne in the weekend aim to get there about 8am for a 9am start to get good spot.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by CAVEMAN » 01 Dec 2019, 1:15 pm

Can anyone sagest a pistol club in this area as well, looking at blowing more money away in the new year. Will be based out of the Ipswich region.

CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Dingo_Lingo » 01 Dec 2019, 1:31 pm

CAVEMAN wrote:Can anyone sagest a pistol club in this area as well, looking at blowing more money away in the new year. Will be based out of the Ipswich region.

there is a 25m indoor pistol range in ippy, one mile area I think!
Dingo_Lingo
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Stix » 01 Dec 2019, 2:41 pm

Fair enough fella's...

Although that does, as caveman says, take the fun out of it.
I cant believe single loading/no mag fed groups... :roll:
How do the hunters keeping their eye in doing sihlouette go with that...
FFS... :roll:

Personally, i dont see how walking into a range with a gun out of a case' changes whether the clown has left a live round in the chamber... :unknown:
Wouldnt it be better to have a checkpoint at the door (just inside the door-whatever) with a table, & have a designated official check each firearm, just as the RO should do each cease fire...?
I know its a pain...but i just cant imagine how much of a PITA walking in with a pristine personal favourite & having to leave it out in the open for all & sundry to damage when you're not looking...i mean, to my mind, people are self righteous these days & having a rifle out in full view sitting in a rack will just encourage the fukwits with no sense of personal space or respect, to walk up & handle your prized possession... :unknown:
And that to me,in itself, is more unsafe than bagged rifles--which are in effect, a padded case that you dont know has a rifle (gun/whatever) in it or not... :unknown:
And to prove the point of people not having personal space...you only have to set up a press at a range & place a sign saying "please dont touch--load testing" next to it, & stand back & watch the first fukwit walk up to it & pull the die out &/or crank the arm...
And while that may appear to answer my own question/counter my own argument--those sorts should be ousted quick smart--but rather we seem to have to protect their precious right to their own entitlement, by way of being punished ourselves... :unknown:

I just see, as with so many other things in this world, that by removing peoples sense of responsibility from them, inevitably leads to an accident...
For example--how many of us boys have burnt ourselves playiong with fire...or given ourselves a nasty cut with a skinning knife because of a lack of due dilligence... :unknown:
So imagine if we first get hold of a box of matches while out bush, not knowing the consequences, tip the billy of boiling water over our legs & inadvertantly started a bushfire. all because we werent taught by experience, & made to be responsible by our care givers, if not our own sense of right & wrong... :unknown:

To my mind, shame is a big thing...but personal shame & dealt out by authorities in a respectful manner...(not publically served persecution type shame)...so the person who ejected a live round should be barred for a month because of their mis-hap, & treated with respect & encouraged to be more diligent upon their return...
This would make individuals automatically self aware of safety, if not for any other reason than the shame & embarrassment they would face from their peers & their own sense of self respect & dignity...
Second strike youre out for the year, & if a third, out for good...period...

Whereas, the act of making everyone bare rifles leaves the onus on the range...so if any mishap occurred, the range is at fault & ALL firearms owners will pay with stupid, non-practical rules & regs, like we have now, but worse...

Anyway...just random thoughts...that are to my mind are sensible--but apparently my idea of sensibility is clearly somewhat abstract from that of the modern day power hungry dictatorship we bustle around in...

I dread the day the range(s) i attend, are governed by draconian dictatorship rules such as the likes you guys have to put up with...
The guys (well most of them) where i shoot are real, fair dinkum gentlemen--if you move a rifle from bench to bench with the muzzle down, it will be pointed out respectfully 'remember were in a shed--muzzle up mate'...( :oops: ), & you are encouraged you are not a dick... :thumbsup: ...that example is simplistic i know, but most people there know of each other, so respect is generally given to each other, as we are all in the same boat...(Although, maybe im speaking too soon, as there are some deep rumblings eminating from deep within the ranks where i shoot... :roll: )...

Cheers guys...& happy respectful shooting. :drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 01 Dec 2019, 3:17 pm

field rifle , sihlouette shooters and gallery rifles are permitted to load mags during a comp . not practice but . thems the rules :roll: i've never seen anyone disrespect or handle anyones property at ripley stix , 99.9% of people have decent manners out there . it's in a rural area , a lot of the folks are no-nonsense people ,local to the area , but ya get the occasional clown, same as anywhere . the no bag /case thing is so the rifle is carried in with the action open . ya can't get safer than that. some fellas drive well over a hour from the gold coast and sunshine coast to shoot at ripley and make a day of it . unfortunately it's popularity may be it's undoing :(

this is the modern world , where the health and saftey department is a growing monster and decent people are penalised for the stupidity of others . in the manfacturing industry these days it's not profitable cause of all the rules trying to "idiot proof " everything :roll:

bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by CAVEMAN » 01 Dec 2019, 4:37 pm

The reason i seem to think there is a mag use rule is nearly to encourage people to partake in the comps, as this is where its allowed. And i'm far more concerned with someone with a 5" barreled 10 round 22lr pistol whipping it around' then a 22" 308 wit a 5 round floor plate. People loose sense of the location of a short barrel far quicker than they do there rifles.

This ended up being the argument at a range up here that if you can have ten in the tube of a semi auto pistol, why not ten in a bolt or lever or pump or straight pull long arm. And then sense prevailed but off course in its own setting.

CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Next

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges