Cooling Time between shots ?

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Cooling Time between shots ?

Post by Blr243 » 04 Feb 2020, 9:41 am

I hate the range and generally sight in on the hunt. But I have been missing some of my foxes at longer uncertain ranges. So time to get serious I’m forcing myself to hit the range with a few rifles at noon today Brisbane is overcast today. Both 243 rifles have slim/ medium hunter type barrels. 450 bushmaster is average thickness. 22 mag has heavy barrell. Then there’s enfoeld 303 mk 4 no 1 Fipull wood I intend operating the rifles in same sequence to allow enough time for cooling. Can I do two groups of three shots with the one rifle before moving onto the next or am I safer to do a single group of three.? I won’t be doing any cleaning between groups. It’s just not me. If I can’t get moa from my main rifle ( sauer100 ) then I will look into more into more thorough methods eg cleaning between groups
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Cooling Time between shots ?

Post by Blr243 » 04 Feb 2020, 9:43 am

With the exception of the Enfield , all are fully floated
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 04 Feb 2020, 10:15 am

For me i only shoot 3 at a time & let cool...

That way it doesnt get hot, you get an idea if you have a shift in poi with cold shots, & you're closest to replicating a hunting situation too.

6 shots is far too many for me, & any more than 3 in a group doesnt seem to tell me much other than im wasting consumables...

To cool quicker, remove the bolt & mag & set up in a rest with muzzle slightly up/action down is what i do, allowing & encouraging plenty air flow through barrel.

How hot is it there today...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by 9.3x64 » 04 Feb 2020, 10:59 am

You should be fine at Belmont today, it’s the coolest day we have had for some time. I think the wind will be your biggest problem today, very inconsistent so far.
But no matter what sort of day I just fire 3 shots then let it cool, I usually shoot two rifles and rotate them.
Not long ago I took a 10.75x68 Mauser and a 7x64 to Belmont and it was a waste of time, especially for the 7x64 loaded with RL19. Velocities were way higher than normal and it was a long wait for the barrel to cool.
9.3x64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 04 Feb 2020, 11:28 am

I have postponed my shoot until noon tomorrow so replies and advice up till then encouraged and appreciated
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 04 Feb 2020, 11:57 am

You guys would have palpations if you ever thought about the 3x 40shot, 300 metre matches. That's 3 each of 40 shots kneeling, standing, and prone.
Or, there's also the 60 shot prone match.
In the glory days of US shooting this event, they were using 30-06. 40 shots sure would warm the barrel.
Barrels get hot? I guess they do! Do they stop to let the rifle cool down? Nope - there is a time limit to complete the match.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Potatoes » 04 Feb 2020, 12:23 pm

I put my phone on stop watch mode and just do a shot per minute. I have a sporter barrel and my better loads are about .7 moa.

One of the ROs at belmont reckons the central firing lines are best, because wind swirls around the barriers on the outer edges. He recommended this when we were having a chat about how the flags in different areas were pointing in 3 completely separate directions.
Potatoes
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Peter988 » 04 Feb 2020, 4:55 pm

I’ve been out west this week doing mitigation work on newly fenced properties. It got fairly hectic in places and at times the barrel of the Sauer 100 was to hot to touch. Didn’t effect accuracy.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 04 Feb 2020, 5:36 pm

Pls don’t post info that’ makes us jealous because we are currently stuck at home
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 04 Feb 2020, 5:37 pm

Mate I will shoot three or four groups at least out of my centrefires at the range before changing rifles.
I just have a feel and if I think “Fcuk that’s getting hot” I change rifles.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 04 Feb 2020, 6:47 pm

What’s mitigation work in rural areas ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Peter988 » 04 Feb 2020, 9:44 pm

Blr243 wrote:What’s mitigation work in rural areas ?

https://farmerassist.com.au/pest-contro ... o-control/
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 04 Feb 2020, 10:58 pm

Ok. I got it. I thought the drought was mostly sorting them out but I spose wherever it has been raining they would be turning up thick
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges