Victorian New Range Requirements & Registration

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Victorian New Range Requirements & Registration

Post by runtsolutions » 28 Mar 2020, 4:35 pm

Ladies and Gentleman,

I have tried to the best of my abilities to find information online about how to legally start a target range and I have come up with donuts. I have even called my local divisional firearms officer (Victoria Police) and he was unsure and unhelpful. Clearly it can be done as there is many ranges around Victoria but how on earth am i supposed to find the information about the process to begin it? Any information that you can all share would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
runtsolutions
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Victorian New Range Requirements & Registration

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 28 Mar 2020, 10:29 pm

As of last week all vic ranges are shut.

Send LRD an email, they will send you some information, specifically related to range templates. It can be done just rather hard... possibly need council approval as well.

Tbh i don't think there is much money if any to be made from operating a range. Also you and upto 2 (???) Mates can shoot legally on your property assay the same time as long as you don't charge them money. And as long as it's safe to do so and you are a rural property etc etc.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 28 Mar 2020, 10:43 pm

The very first thing you will need is to determine how the range is to be used. Then you need to find land that will meet that range template and the extended safety zones and then seek council approval. Good Luck.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Aliqua » 14 Apr 2020, 9:31 pm

[Deleted my post. Found the answer]
Last edited by Aliqua on 14 Apr 2020, 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Aliqua » 14 Apr 2020, 9:35 pm

runtsolutions wrote:Ladies and Gentleman,

I have tried to the best of my abilities to find information online about how to legally start a target range and I have come up with donuts. I have even called my local divisional firearms officer (Victoria Police) and he was unsure and unhelpful. Clearly it can be done as there is many ranges around Victoria but how on earth am i supposed to find the information about the process to begin it? Any information that you can all share would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Hey, have you read this? I didnt its 80 pages but it seemed to be on par with what you were asking

https://ref.epa.vic.gov.au/~/media/Publ ... s/1710.pdf
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 15 Apr 2020, 2:33 am

G'day runtsolutions,
As you are no doubt aware, the information you seek is not available online. You need to contact LRD and request a copy of "Firearms Ranges - Standards for Approval". This will take you through the steps needed to get a range approved which will include such things as the public liability insurance required, local council approval, templates you need to use for your stated purpose, etc. It is a lengthy and expensive process but it can be done with some effort, The info Aliqua posted above will also need to be considered and included in your Management Strategy, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges