How do SSAA ranges work in the eastern states?

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

How do SSAA ranges work in the eastern states?

Post by Diamond Jim » 17 Apr 2020, 6:09 pm

I'm curious to learn how the SSAA ranges work over there. Here in Wait Awhile we can't just rock up to a SSAA range and shoot. We can't use SSAA membership as a "genuine reason" to licence a firearm.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Re: How do SSAA ranges work in the eastern states?

Post by Aliqua » 17 Apr 2020, 6:33 pm

I cant comment about the range because I havent been but in Vic you can use your SSAA membership for a purpose of a license but it means you must always stay a member or your license (although 5 years) will not be valid.
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sarco » 17 Apr 2020, 7:28 pm

As far as I am aware, in theory, if you are a SSAA member you can attend any SSAA range in Vic, signing in and paying the appropriate fee. Some do have restrictions on calibres/FMJ projectiles, timings for centrefire/rimfire shooting, distances and types of targets etc.

Some also have club only activities on specific days/times.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 17 Apr 2020, 7:35 pm

NSW you can use SSAA as a "genuine reason" when you do if your reason is just Hunting you must attend a range 2 times a year to sight your rifle in .
. If you add Target shooting you must attend a range another 4 times a year .
.So if you have both it is six times a year .
If your using your R licence as a genuine reason you must still be a member of a hunting club SSAA is a hunting club then you do not have to attend a range
If your shooting pistol 6 attendances a year minimum.
At a SSAA range in a pistol club affiliated with the range, bring along a rifle and do a complementary rifle attendance at the same time specify either target or hunting
SSAA insurance only covers your firearms and all shooting gear in you house or car even at the range if you should drop a scope covered $35 for $25 k ,If I remember rightly .
10% off every thing you buy in the shop ammo / firearms included
some SSAA ranges have storage lockers for hire
All Sydney SSAA range you can fill your mags
Last edited by pomemax on 18 Apr 2020, 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by AussieCapitalist » 17 Apr 2020, 8:37 pm

In QLD they are terrible and I would recommend you use independent ranges. They only let you single load.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by MontyShooter » 17 Apr 2020, 8:58 pm

My local SSAA range is pretty good. 500m for up to 50bmg. Steel at 50m for rimfire and 200m for centrefire. Shotguns using buckshot or slugs also allowed. We can mag load and there must be 100 odd benches at the main range.
You don't have to be a member to shoot there but the fees are discounted for members.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Aliqua » 17 Apr 2020, 9:29 pm

Doesnt SSAA membership include gun insurance? Or is that just a rumour I have fallen for...
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by poid » 17 Apr 2020, 10:42 pm

The insurance is about $35 on top of the membership fee.
poid
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 17 Apr 2020, 10:51 pm

G'day Aliqua, insurance is not automatic but can be added to your annual fee. The cost is $35 and coverage is very good. People I know who have had to claim on it have had positive outcomes. By the way pomemax, we have no minimum attendance for rifles, only for handguns.
Diamond Jim,
As others have stated, SSAA membership alone is taken as valid reason for a licence as SSAA Vic are registered as both a Target Club and a Hunting Club, members can shoot at any SSAA range on the open days and our main range in Melbourne, at Little River is open to all legally owned calibers and types of firearm, with seperate ranges for sub-clubs shooting a wide range of disciplines from Big Game, Sporting Clays through all Pistol events, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 17 Apr 2020, 11:11 pm

SSAA is a business - pure and simple.

On a note RE their insurance brokers.
I’ve got a business and several cars, bikes, properties, etc. I emailed them 12 renewals to see what they could do - even seeing if they could match but combine policies just to make things easier...they could not beat one price on any policy.
I emailed them and out of Pure frustration said - thanks for wasting my time. She replied with - well at least you know your getting good prices for your insurance...I said no - all I know, is that ssaa insurance brokers couldn’t do crap vs a normal person and the internet.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by No1Mk3 » 17 Apr 2020, 11:39 pm

Bit unrealistic Tassie Tiger, SSAA insurance is for my guns, not my bikes, cars, trucks house or contents. I wouldn't expect them to do better, I expect them to do my guns and that they do better than any other insurance company for coverage and cost.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 17 Apr 2020, 11:41 pm

If you read the magazine they send out / their brokers claim to be for multiple insurance streams and claim to be able to compete - why would I bother asking otherwise?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by rc42 » 17 Apr 2020, 11:43 pm

To extend the QLD information:

Membership of SSAA is accepted as your 'genuine reason' for sports and target shooting but you must remain a financial member for your license to be valid, this only really matters at renewal and they can be up to 10 years expiry. You can also get a license based on having private rural land to shoot on (over 40 acres or it's difficult to get), in which case you don't need club membership but must maintain access to land.
Insurance is an optional extra.

Once licensed you get recreational and sports/target endorsements and and apply for a PTA for any cat A/B firearm and buy ammunition of any caliber (that can be used for any A/B firearm, even if you don't have one yet), there's no compulsory range attendance or number of shoots.

At the SSAA range you pay to use it every visit (unless you have an annual range pass), if it's the branch where your membership is based you pay less than visitors from other branches or non-members.
Single loads only for general rifle range use sucks big time, shotguns get to load doubles, some competitions get to use magazines.

Any licensed person can just 'rock up' and pay to shoot bu may have to wait for a bench as it gets busy, unlicensed persons can also visit and pay for a supervised session with a Range Officer and use a club rifle or they can attend with a licensed person and be supervised by them.

Most SSAA branches have pistol sections which allow Cat H shooting but you need to be a member of the pistol section to shoot (some competitions allow suitably licensed visitors that have their own pistols to pay to shoot too). Being a member of the pistol section is a 'genuine reason' to obtain a cat H firearm (eventually)
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 18 Apr 2020, 6:05 pm

I must admit that the local SSAA who use the range I use (this range is not owned by SSAA but the local branch would like to think that they do)
Has at times, not done the right thing on the range, not so much a safety issue, but unauthorised target use.
Yet I have been to St Marys a few times and they were very professional and organised, when I was there. Can't answer for others , though. You know how rumors get thrown about.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 18 Apr 2020, 7:44 pm

AussieCapitalist wrote:In QLD they are terrible and I would recommend you use independent ranges. They only let you single load.

I think that your generalisation is a bit "over the top".
The range facility that I use is wholly owned by the Qld SSAA Branch of which I am a member. Note that it is not owned by the SSAA but by the Branch. It would only be ceded to SSAA State in the eventuality that the Branch were wound up, for whatever reason.
To say that "they only let you single load" is, in the case of my range, BS.
Unfortunately, generalisations do a great disservice to a lot of things we encounter in everyday life. Either present fact, or keep it zipped.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 20 Apr 2020, 3:09 pm

Just to add to what pomemax wrote, SSAA is also a collectors club and holds regular meetings. If you have an interest in collecting then you can call them and ask that they add Collecting to your membership and send you confirmation. Once you have the confirmation you can then "Add Category" "G - Collecting" and tick all the sub-categories (ABCDH). the first year you are restricted to pre 1946 handguns and a couple of other condition but once the year is up then you can collect pretty much anything.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Woden » 23 Nov 2020, 8:50 am

Bugman wrote:I must admit that the local SSAA who use the range I use (this range is not owned by SSAA but the local branch would like to think that they do)
Has at times, not done the right thing on the range, not so much a safety issue, but unauthorised target use.
Yet I have been to St Marys a few times and they were very professional and organised, when I was there. Can't answer for others , though. You know how rumors get thrown about.

+1 Spot on with your assessment of St Marys Bugman. I was very impressed the several times I have attended - clean, comfortable and professional. My only complaint is the concussion from the shooter next to you firing his/her big bore centrefire can give you a headache and make you inadvertently trigger your flimsy rimfire unintentionally. I just used ear plugs but I will also get around this by wearing ear muffs as well next time I visit.
DaZ
Woden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Ziege » 23 Nov 2020, 10:30 am

If they run anything like the cockfight sh!t show setups they have here in WA with their abundance of moron wallflowers and local big fish little fishbowl resident members I would be steering clear, Never heard so much retarded garb anywhere like I do at gun clubs and archery clubs, the literal reason why I will never compete again... life's better if you just buy a block and shoot on it by yourself lol.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by dreysi » 21 Aug 2021, 7:02 pm

MontyShooter wrote:My local SSAA range is pretty good. 500m for up to 50bmg. Steel at 50m for rimfire and 200m for centrefire. Shotguns using buckshot or slugs also allowed. We can mag load and there must be 100 odd benches at the main range.
You don't have to be a member to shoot there but the fees are discounted for members.

Which range?
dreysi
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges