Mil Dot / MRAD Chart

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Mil Dot / MRAD Chart

Post by Aliqua » 22 Apr 2020, 7:50 pm

Hello,

Does anyone use/have a generic Mil Dot / MRAD ballistics chart (pdf) which they use? - eg: .1mil = 1cm @ 100m, 150m, 200m etc... available for print?

I understand ballistic drop calculations and there are heaps of apps out there for this but I was hoping to use it for quick calculations of distance to target etc...

Thanks in advance!
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Mil Dot / MRAD Chart

Post by bladeracer » 22 Apr 2020, 9:15 pm

I don't see any use for such a chart for mils.
Mils are simply one-thousandth of the distance - 1mm per meter. 640m distance makes 1mil to be 640mm. The ability to calculate it is really the only advantage to using mils.

Aliqua wrote:Hello,

Does anyone use/have a generic Mil Dot / MRAD ballistics chart (pdf) which they use? - eg: .1mil = 1cm @ 100m, 150m, 200m etc... available for print?

I understand ballistic drop calculations and there are heaps of apps out there for this but I was hoping to use it for quick calculations of distance to target etc...

Thanks in advance!
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Aliqua » 22 Apr 2020, 9:33 pm

Yeah I guess. Okay I'll write one out in excel and see if I actually need it (I like visual references). I've seen some that had wind references as well..
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 22 Apr 2020, 9:56 pm

Once this covid is over and you start using your gear, this will become second nature - ballistic charts are another thing but scope distances as BR said, relatively easy. Just a matter of getting out there and seeing it in action a few times.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Aliqua » 22 Apr 2020, 11:15 pm

I couldnt agree with you more... but while I'm waiting I want to feeeeel like I'm doing something! Haha
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Rwd22 » 23 Apr 2020, 9:12 am

Have a look at some of the old NSSF videos on youtube, the ones with Ryan Cleckner, I can't think of a better basic/no BS resource than what he spells out in most of those videos. Makes understanding it all a breeze and there's plenty of videos to watch, I've watched them all several times over and also have his book which is a great resource.

Not specifically what you're after, but it will give you something to bury your time into.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 23 Apr 2020, 10:01 am

Aliqua wrote:Yeah I guess. Okay I'll write one out in excel and see if I actually need it (I like visual references). I've seen some that had wind references as well..

Maybe you're thinking of a drop chart for your bullet/load...?

If you want a wind reference, i assume you are after a drop chart for your load...other wise as blade has effectively said, it doesnt matter what the wind is doing as it is just an angular measurement.

For that (drop/wind chart) to be accurate you'll need to input the relative data into a calculator then check it in real life.

You should be able to find a generic one around somewhere for your cartridge you shoot that will give you an idea & get you close-ish.

Did i see a thread recently that was about ballistic calculators...?...i havent time to search & havent bookmarked any such sites/threads, can someone help the OP with a link to these here...?

:)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Aliqua » 23 Apr 2020, 2:07 pm

Thank you rwd I'll have a look. Stix yeah I stuffed up my message in the fact that they're two different things (target height in mils to work out distance and also the drop chart). I have been doing some research today and looking into what I need ;) thanks guys appreciate the input and yes I had a post on calculators. I want to use the hornady one for the favourites and all the inputs but it's not working with my favourites as it's not returning values (more research required) and I'm using strelok for producing the range drop tables and calculations etc.

Will understand more when I watch the videos recommended and also get out to the range and get a feel for it ;)
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges