Whole lotta shakin goin on

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Whole lotta shakin goin on

Post by Blr243 » 28 Apr 2020, 6:58 pm

I hear about clover leaf groups , and 1/2 moa and 3/4 moa and sub moa. People getting 1/2 moa must not only have good equipment and ammo , they must be bloody good shooters too.... the best I have ever shot in my life was 17 mm three shot group at 100 m. And that was with a blr with a bad trigger ....now that I have a new sauer with a nice trigger I should be doin better , but I’m not ....when useing a ssaa Belmont range ( concrete benches) , and bags front and rear , whenever I touch off a shot the reticle is wobbling allover the place in a one inch circle , it’s never just rock solid sitting centre off bullseye .... so if I’m wobbling allover a 25 mm circle and I’m shooting 25 mm groups , it makes me think that I could actually start shooting clover leafs if I could actually hold the bloody rifle steady .....please note I’m not a drunk and too young for Parkinson’s ..... is anyone here good enough that you think your reticle is dancing around inside a 10 mm circle when you touch of a shot ? Because if you are then I need to lift my game and get it right
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Whole lotta shakin goin on

Post by SCJ429 » 28 Apr 2020, 7:07 pm

The last comp I was at I was sitting next to a bloke who shot a one inch group at 500 metres with a 300/378 Weatherby Magnum. I was running out of excuses for my own pitiful groups.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 28 Apr 2020, 7:17 pm

You shouldnt be shaking so much for the reticle to be moving an inch on a target at 100 BLR...

You need to change how you hold the rifle to, well, kinda not holding the rifle... :lol:

Set it up so its on the target without you touching it...then you move in controll the rifle without letting it move-(much ;) )...then gently squeeze off concentrating on that reticle not moving...

See if you can find that clip marksman has posted couple times before...that pretty much sums it all up without a voice... :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by No1_49er » 28 Apr 2020, 7:28 pm

Blr243 wrote:I hear about clover leaf groups , and 1/2 moa and 3/4 moa and sub moa. People getting 1/2 moa must not only have good equipment and ammo , they must be bloody good shooters too.... the best I have ever shot in my life was 17 mm three shot group at 100 m. And that was with a blr with a bad trigger ....now that I have a new sauer with a nice trigger I should be doin better , but I’m not ....when useing a ssaa Belmont range ( concrete benches) , and bags front and rear , whenever I touch off a shot the reticle is wobbling allover the place in a one inch circle , it’s never just rock solid sitting centre off bullseye .... so if I’m wobbling allover a 25 mm circle and I’m shooting 25 mm groups , it makes me think that I could actually start shooting clover leafs if I could actually hold the bloody rifle steady .....please note I’m not a drunk and too young for Parkinson’s ..... is anyone here good enough that you think your reticle is dancing around inside a 10 mm circle when you touch of a shot ? Because if you are then I need to lift my game and get it right

If you're using bags, front and rear, and the reticle is wobbling all over the place, you have a problem of not getting the rifle settled correctly. Are you actually holding the rifle when you fire? If so, you may want to try leaving the rifle alone and after getting sighted on target, simply squeeze the trigger to the trigger guard using just your thumb and 1st finger. No other touching. Provided that the rifle is free to slide on the bags (talcum powder is good :P ) it will recoil into your shoulder or upper arm, rather jump off the rear of the bench. Give it a try.
And if there are any other BR type shooters there when you are, ask directly for some help/advice. They may have some useful pointers for you.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 28 Apr 2020, 7:29 pm

Well seeing as it’s my birthday today can I be lazy and ask somebody to find that vid or link for me ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 28 Apr 2020, 7:37 pm

If you just want to shoot groups blr, then get a cradle to zero your rifle in firstly. Once zeroed in learn how to shoot it in competitions such as field rifle. First pic is my groups @ 100yrds, the second, my old faithful rifle. The third the cheap rest I bought. I hope this helps mate. By the way I go to Belmont quite often if you would like to catch up and we can sort your problems out no worries.
Attachments
20181218_151556.jpg
20181218_151556.jpg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 4772 times
20181218_152204.jpg
20181218_152204.jpg (2.65 MiB) Viewed 4772 times
Caldwell.jpg
Caldwell.jpg (17.99 KiB) Viewed 4772 times
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 29 Apr 2020, 12:52 pm

Bloody hell BLR...sorry...

Happy Birthday mate. :clap: :drinks: ..

Im sorry i didnt get back to this last night for a cheers... :)
(i was watching MichaelMoore...)

Ill try & find it for you tonight & send you a link for the type of front bag i use incase its of help... :thumbsup:

Cheers :)
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 29 Apr 2020, 12:56 pm

Blr243 wrote:I hear about clover leaf groups , and 1/2 moa and 3/4 moa and sub moa. People getting 1/2 moa must not only have good equipment and ammo , they must be bloody good shooters too.... the best I have ever shot in my life was 17 mm three shot group at 100 m. And that was with a blr with a bad trigger ....now that I have a new sauer with a nice trigger I should be doin better , but I’m not ....when useing a ssaa Belmont range ( concrete benches) , and bags front and rear , whenever I touch off a shot the reticle is wobbling allover the place in a one inch circle , it’s never just rock solid sitting centre off bullseye .... so if I’m wobbling allover a 25 mm circle and I’m shooting 25 mm groups , it makes me think that I could actually start shooting clover leafs if I could actually hold the bloody rifle steady .....please note I’m not a drunk and too young for Parkinson’s ..... is anyone here good enough that you think your reticle is dancing around inside a 10 mm circle when you touch of a shot ? Because if you are then I need to lift my game and get it right

It's not possible for a live, breathing person to hold the rifle steady on target for more than a second or two unless you hold it mechanically (on bags or a rest) and just touch off the trigger.
The trick for me is to learn the patterns of my movement and fire when the reticle is where it needs to be, it's more about timing than steadiness.

I'll add that shooting from a rest or bags I don't consider to be a test of my abilities at all, it's purely testing the firearm, ammo, and sights. There is no skill required to shoot good groups when you are not intimately connected to the firearm, it just requires some practice. For field shooting what matters is the consistent group size you can maintain from positions that you'll actually be shooting from in the field.
Last edited by bladeracer on 29 Apr 2020, 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bill » 29 Apr 2020, 1:10 pm

Blr243 for someone who shoots plenty of game you dont seem to have an accuracy issue :thumbsup:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 29 Apr 2020, 3:52 pm

I do get the piggies. That’s because pigs are so close and so big ......... but I want those 200 m foxes every single time not most of the time , Thank you stix. Looking fwd to it .........thank you all for the input. You have mentioned things I have not heard of before. I been winging it for too long. New tips and tricks bound to get me on the right track.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 05 May 2020, 7:26 pm

Here's that video BLR...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLeJ8rRUSXc

Here's another link i found while looking for it.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12301
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 05 May 2020, 8:05 pm

Thanks for the links stix. Lots of good points there and a lot of it relating to getting set up and comfortable and I admit I had been previously spending very little effort on that. I also like how simple the vid is and how they emphasise that results come not from skill but by technique. That sort of advice gives anyone confidence they can improve significantly....... so hope fully in a week I will b finished my work at Gympie , cashed up and not need to work for a bitt . So just need the range to open so I can do some practice All in the interest of making sure all of my 200 m foxes fall over on the spot. Today I found out after the electrician left our site that he has a pack of six hounds and is a keen pig chaser ... probably a good thing I did not find out earlier because we would not have got much work done
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 05 May 2020, 9:15 pm

No worries BLR...probably thank marksman...he's the one who (that i know/saw) put up that link...hopefully he sees this & can find the thread he made for it for you.

For what its worth...this is what i do...
S my hunting rifles are light tikka's, so shooting them off the bench, i nasically do similar to that video, except i have very little shoulder pressure...i just let my shoulder touch the stock & then relax it completely, letting the weight of my shoulder "fall"into the butt...
I use just enough tension in my hand to keep steady controll of the trigger, & when it goes off, i let the rifle push my shoulder back...
This is for testing off a bench & long shots on bunnys over the bonnet.

This is the front bag i use...same as your mate Elmer...& Bent Arrow from here uses one as well from memory...if they use the bag they must be good... :) :thumbsup:
https://www.horsleyparkgunshop.com.au/p ... egoryId=54

I only paid 20 for mine, & have another i paid $30 for...ill look for a link now on ebay & come back & edit this post when i find it...

Ok im back...

HJere tis...
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Large-Shoot ... 0005.m1851

Get yourself one of these to shoot off the bench if you dont already have a bag...fill it with recycled granulated plastic beads...nice & light & moisture proof :thumbsup:
:drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 05 May 2020, 10:15 pm

happy birthday for last month Blr :drinks: sry for missing it

Stix as usual is right onto it but one thing l didn't see mentioned in the thread is parallax adjustment
this guys has one eye and can do it so we should be able to :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLr3UqJjDn8

if once you have setup position your reticle is still moving you do not have the butt on the rear bag and are shouldering the rifle lifting it off
you have to setup behind the rifle, the only movement you may see is heartbeat, l find it better prone :unknown:

l haven't had a shot for a while and went out this morning to sight in before volunteering to hunt pest animals for farmers
usually l can shoot ragged holes with my settups at 200 but was having trouble getting ,5 moa at the start
l had to sight a 22 rimfire and shot quite a few getting the feel back then went onto the bigger guns and the improvement was chalk and cheese
l dont know how many 22's l shot but it was around 300 centerfires in 6 different rifles, l feel better now :lol:
the point is practice with good setup and technique and maybe have a play with a 22 as well :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 06 May 2020, 5:26 am

I’ll just add BLR - I don’t have the outright experience of many on the forum. Some days I can shoot really well and some days - I just can’t.
On those days I can’t shoot - I end up questioning everything, equipment, did I reload properly, was weather a factor, my rest was crap and not sitting right, Did I pull some shots consistently, should I ring geo services and rule out an earthquake?

Bottom line is that it’s almost always me - some days, I must go cross eyed or develop a rhythmic twitch unbeknown to myself - but it happens regardless. Im just starting to accept it - some days, for what ever reason, I’m not going to do my part as successfully as I should / can.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Blr243 » 06 May 2020, 8:15 pm

Thanks marksman. I’m looking fwd to thoroughly reading all this and to getting better results at the range. Good point Tass tiger, We must be mindful that sometimes despite our best planning and efforts there’s always goin to be some off days. .......I need to send a request to god to end all this work I currently have , get paid , and then be allowed to hunt again
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 06 May 2020, 8:27 pm

Send the request me & ill come help you smack out the work...then i can shoot my first pig... :) :clap:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges