SSAA Belmont banning lead shot

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Re: SSAA Belmont banning lead shot

Post by Stoney » 13 May 2020, 5:43 pm

Considering how old the Belmont shooting complex is. I think the ADF shot there before WW1 from Camp Hill? There must be tons and tons of lead, nickle, and copper embedded in the ground. Too late to worry about lead contamination. I heard a rumour that, that is the exact reason that Belmont hasn't been closed for the ever growing non stop expansion of high density housing in Brisbane. Way to costly to remove the contaminates. Does anyone have an exact date that Belmont was established please?
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 13 May 2020, 6:35 pm

No1_49er wrote:
bigrich wrote:There’s a 308 sized hole in a 100 square steel post that holds up the roof next to a bench at a rifle range. Sometimes people get distracted and sh!t happens . Single loading reduces the risk, that’s all I’m saying. At Ripley you aren’t allowed to bring a rifle into the range in a gun bag . Because a few years ago someone brought a loaded rifle to the range in a bag and I believe it went off . This is why the single load rules exist, to mitigate risk related to novice shooters . Common sense isn’t that common anymore........

You are absolutely right.
But, wait a moment. What sort of s**t are you talking that single loading is safer, and then stating that there is a hole in a 100mm sq post?
That, presumably, was a SINGLE shot.
And the rifle was brought to the range and "it went off". So, bringing it onto the range "un-bagged/cased" would have prevented that discharge?
What f-ing planet are you on?

that example of the hole in the metal post was to illustrate how accidents can happen , it's not specifically related to single loading versus mag loading . single loading/mag loading , either way i'll abide by the rules of the range i'm at . i don't find single loading a imposition or a great problem for non competition recreational shooting at a range . i shoot handloads and take my time anyway

and i'm on the same f-ing planet your on . you misinterpreted my meaning with my post , my appologies if i wasn't clearer .

i thought this topic was about the banning of lead shotgun shot at belmont anyway , i've digressed on the single mag discussion , cause i have a opinion , but surely this post should lean back to topic soon

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 13 May 2020, 6:42 pm

Stoney wrote:Considering how old the Belmont shooting complex is. I think the ADF shot there before WW1 from Camp Hill? There must be tons and tons of lead, nickle, and copper embedded in the ground. Too late to worry about lead contamination. I heard a rumour that, that is the exact reason that Belmont hasn't been closed for the ever growing non stop expansion of high density housing in Brisbane. Way to costly to remove the contaminates. Does anyone have an exact date that Belmont was established please?

maybe you should approach management about getting out there on days the range is closed with a shovel and a sieve, lots of free lead :lol:

out at ripley after they redid the earth banks behind the target area and there was a bit of rain, i swear the ground had been covered with a layer of peebles. it was unreal how many old projectiles had been unearthed . cast boolits would have real appeal if ya had a easy supply of lead... ;)

bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 13 May 2020, 7:27 pm

Gotta say if someone was mag loading and shot a post cos they got "distracted" then that same mong is capable of causing mayhem whilst single loading also. You would have to have terminal alzhiemers disease to not know if your gun is or isn't loaded.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 13 May 2020, 7:40 pm

Ziege wrote:Gotta say if someone was mag loading and shot a post cos they got "distracted" then that same mong is capable of causing mayhem whilst single loading also. You would have to have terminal alzhiemers disease to not know if your gun is or isn't loaded.

yeah , your right . i used it as example of accidents do happen , not overly related to single versus mag loading i guess . personaly i just feel single load is safer, imagined or otherwise :unknown:

bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 13 May 2020, 9:45 pm

Being deadly honest mate, the perception is entirely in your head. I guess some people are pessimistic and others aren't.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 13 May 2020, 9:52 pm

Ziege wrote:Being deadly honest mate, the perception is entirely in your head. I guess some people are pessimistic and others aren't.

pessimistic, no, not really . cautious , yes ! :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 16 May 2020, 4:50 am

bigrich wrote:
Stoney wrote:Considering how old the Belmont shooting complex is. I think the ADF shot there before WW1 from Camp Hill? There must be tons and tons of lead, nickle, and copper embedded in the ground. Too late to worry about lead contamination. I heard a rumour that, that is the exact reason that Belmont hasn't been closed for the ever growing non stop expansion of high density housing in Brisbane. Way to costly to remove the contaminates. Does anyone have an exact date that Belmont was established please?

maybe you should approach management about getting out there on days the range is closed with a shovel and a sieve, lots of free lead :lol:

out at ripley after they redid the earth banks behind the target area and there was a bit of rain, i swear the ground had been covered with a layer of peebles. it was unreal how many old projectiles had been unearthed . cast boolits would have real appeal if ya had a easy supply of lead... ;)

In Tassie - there was an old Brighton army camp (north suburbs of Hobart), vacant land went up for sale not long ago - 3 years ago or there abouts.
20 acres of the fastest growing property in Tassie, if not most of the country as recently reported...they Started asking $400,000 for the lot and couldn’t get it. It sold for $220k or there abouts - the reason? Soil / lead contamination...I’ve not seen so many excavators operating in one place for so long and it’s still got a “hangover” to locals...that being said - the cheapest 800sqm block is $175k...and it’s starting to sell very quickly....in particular to you mainlanders...I do wonder if they disclose the history or will 11 finger kids be the give away.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by AussieCapitalist » 16 May 2020, 9:27 am

Just an FYI the ADF did not exist before WW1. The integrated command known as he ADF came to be in the late 1970s.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 16 May 2020, 10:13 am

AussieCapitalist wrote:Just an FYI the ADF did not exist before WW1. The integrated command known as he ADF came to be in the late 1970s.

I think it was the “Australian imperial forces “from WW1 till well after WW2 . I seem to recall a rising sun badge from my grandfather had that on it :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 16 May 2020, 10:53 am

AussieCapitalist wrote:Just an FYI the ADF did not exist before WW1. The integrated command known as he ADF came to be in the late 1970s.

Sorry mate, I was just being lazy when I said ADF. But you get what I mean. :drinks:
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 16 May 2020, 11:28 am

Yeah all good man I was not being rude. This place is a good place to share and gain knowledge. Same with the American Airforce. It did not exist until 1947. It was part of the army before that.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 16 May 2020, 11:31 am

bigrich wrote:
I think it was the “Australian imperial forces “from WW1 till well after WW2 . I seem to recall a rising sun badge from my grandfather had that on it :thumbsup:

Yeah the imperial force was the expeditionary force for both world wars. So if you went overseas you were mostly under that command.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 16 May 2020, 10:04 pm

AussieCapitalist wrote:Yeah all good man I was not being rude. This place is a good place to share and gain knowledge. Same with the American Airforce. It did not exist until 1947. It was part of the army before that.

You are correct that the United States Air Force, USAF, was formed in 1947. Previously known as the United States Army Air Force, USAAF, which was a virtually independent agency in WW2. You could say the "American Airforce" did exist in 1945 but it was known as the USAAF.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges