Cleaning at Range

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Cleaning at Range

Post by HikeandHunt » 27 May 2020, 5:27 pm

New shooter, and planning on sighting in a rifle at an outdoor SSAA range in NSW. I am not sure if this is a dumb question, but I have heard that some ranges don't allow cleaning at the range. If I am keeping the rifle pointed down range at all times, can I clean it there?

I presume I can, as people seem to be cleaning during break ins of rifles from what I understand.
HikeandHunt
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Cleaning at Range

Post by poid » 27 May 2020, 10:27 pm

Haven't had a drama cleaning while sighting in at Silverdale. You would need to do it at the bench while the range is hot, I imagine they would crack it if you were at the bench cleaning while people were on the range changing targets.
poid
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by HikeandHunt » 27 May 2020, 10:55 pm

Yea that makes sense to me.
HikeandHunt
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rc42 » 27 May 2020, 11:51 pm

As long as you keep the muzzle downrange then cleaning shouldn't be an issue, I've seen some people put a rod through once but nothing more than that and they were very serious about load testing, one even had the powder measure and press on the bench next to his high end rifle, most people don't clean at the range.

During the ceasefire and target changing there is no touching of guns so any cleaning would have to be during shooting but even a quick once through with a patch is over the top for 99% of shooters.

For a beginner I would say don't worry about it, just aim - fire - adjust and repeat until your group is centered on the target, don't expect to be putting rounds through the same hole either. that's just for movies.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges