Unlicensed +1's at SSAA

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Unlicensed +1's at SSAA

Post by Aliqua » 29 May 2020, 8:47 pm

Evening all,

Just wanting the assistance of the forum re: unlicensed persons accompanying to shoot at the range with me (in this case, my wife).

Told her about today and now she wants to come down and give it a go! Read the rules and found 2 sections - the second I would like some clarification on:

2.9. Unlicensed shooters may only shoot under instruction of a licensed shooter.

This would indicate that she can have a shoot so long as being supervised by me (and cant remove ammo from the line etc...)

6.1. SSAA members may use ranges outside of sub-club booked times under the following conditions:
- 6.1.1. The member must seek permission from the range manager or range office to use the range.
- 6.1.2. If the member is on the range with no other shooters, (alone) they must have a current SSAA Victoria Range Officers accreditation (section 7.8) plus endorsement from their Eagle Park sub-club or by approval of the Range Manager.
- 6.1.3. If a shooter is instructing an unlicensed shooter(s), the licensed shooter must have a current SSAA Victoria Range Officer accreditation (section 7.8) plus endorsement from their Eagle Park sub-club or by approval of the Range Manager.

The bold section is if you are not on the main range, correct?

Thanks in advance!
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Unlicensed +1's at SSAA

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 29 May 2020, 9:36 pm

Mate you can bring your wife.. or anyone who is unlicensed at the eagle park ranges...as they have ROs there, the unlicensed person can shoot....

I thought you were going there today
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Aliqua » 29 May 2020, 10:14 pm

I went on my own. she didnt come - and I forgot to ask them about it. Now that I've been she wants to go too! Haha
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 30 May 2020, 1:40 pm

G'day Aliqua,
The 2nd section you are reading is specific only to the sub-club ranges not the main (Public) range. You cannot shoot on a sub-club range, ie: Big GameRifle, unless you are a member of that club and if more than 1 person shoots one must be an acreddited RO. The Range Manager may give permission under some limited reasons for public use of a sub-club range but rules regarding having an RO need to be observed. Before you take your Mrs to the range ring them and check if it is OK, as due to C-19 restrictions the range is closed to non-members and visitors, but if you explain the circumstances they may allow it, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Farmerpete » 30 May 2020, 3:54 pm

I went to a ssaa club ONCE... I wanted to ask some questions about getting cat h the club president was there but didn't want to talk to me for 5 mins because his shoot started in 15
So AFTER waiting for his royal highness for an hour and a bit because he had to say goodbye and line up which mates were going to the pub on the following Friday (it was Sunday) he sat me down and explained that it was a long haul to get my license. (no surprise there I was dealing with wlq)
THEN he told me if I wanted to have a shoot of a pistol I could but he'd have to organise it AFTER the next shoot because this one was starting in 20 and he wouldn't have time to organise the paperwork and get his gun ready, (not sure why it takes a target shooter so long to prep a gun maybe someone can explain this)
I got the feeling I wasn't too welcome to become a new member and LEFT also withdrew membership from ssaa the next day wont recommend anyone trying to join them ever again :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 30 May 2020, 4:20 pm

^ similar experience to me FP.
Felt that I was a hinderance and quite unwelcome - I’m sure ppl are just in days of shoots but still...I’ve now had the same president of the club I attended, ask me to go shooting on the land I purchased - because he lives close...Funny how things work out.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by RoginaJack » 30 May 2020, 4:43 pm

FarmerPete. So you've turned up unannounced, no appointment and expected everyone to drop everything just for you?

So you've " withdrew membership from ssaa the next day wont recommend anyone trying to join them ever again" ; OK so where do you shoot your pistol?
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 30 May 2020, 6:55 pm

He doesn't. I suopose.

Pete wanted the club president to drop everything and sit with his royal highness farmer Pete and spend a few days, teaching him how to shoot... maybe he be better to to give Pete a few cases of ammo and his handgun to shoot at home as well.... just so that Pete remains a loyal member of ssaa
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 30 May 2020, 7:42 pm

Sergeant Hartman wrote:He doesn't. I suopose.

Pete wanted the club president to drop everything and sit with his royal highness farmer Pete and spend a few days, teaching him how to shoot... maybe he be better to to give Pete a few cases of ammo and his handgun to shoot at home as well.... just so that Pete remains a loyal member of ssaa

Reckon Pete probably just wanted some insight on how things work at the range like most curious shooters and if it was an inconvenient time - then to be told that straight out, rather than bullshitted too about someone talking with him in 30-50 mins...Or even maybe told to make an appointment ?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by rc42 » 30 May 2020, 7:47 pm

FarmerPete - There's a lot of paperwork required in QLD for an unlicensed person to use a Cat H at a range if they're not a member of the pistol section (for which they have to be pre-approved by police using the same checks as a full license application).
I'm surprised the club captain even offered to let you use his pistol but there must be some allowance under to legislation for that as there is for unlicensed people on a Cat H safety training course, I will also assume that he is an approved instructor.

The very existence of pistol clubs has to be guarded carefully, one mistake which is against the legislation and the whole pistol section will be closed, the police hate civilians having handguns and are always looking for any opportunity to take it all away.

Cat H licensing in QLD is an expensive process that takes 2-3 months before you can even join a club and maybe a year to get a license, club fees are also high but the required annual range passes at least keep weekly costs down, apart from ammo costs of course, those semi-autos can get through a brick in no time so burning through a thousand rounds per day during practice isn't difficult.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Farmerpete » 30 May 2020, 8:48 pm

Wow seems I touched a nerve so I'm going to explain as best I can

1. rogina and sergeant hartman:
I didnt expect anyone to drop anything I happily waited for an hour just for a chat, Tassie was right I just wanted to find out about what was required to gain a cat h licence and some basic acknowledgement of my existence would have sufficed
at the end of the day ssaa is a buisness and how it treats its members is appalling if you were treated the same by a coffee shop would you go back?

2. rc42 :
I'm not completely unlicensed I hold a cat c oc4 permit, I've talked to a few people with cat h before showing up not to mention the lgs they all told me the same thing show up on Sunday talk to the President and sign the form use a club gun after six months you can apply for a license. I just had a few questions about the process that I wanted clarified.

I think the line "the very existence of pistol clubs has to be guarded carefully " in your response sums it up perfectly - your so worried about protecting your little bit that you don't want new members so don't come here.
One would think if you wanted to protect pistol clubs you'd be doing everything you could to increase the number of people participating in the sport but that's just the logic of an uneducated farm boy.
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 30 May 2020, 9:07 pm

FarmerPete, Have you tried the QPS site, re obtaining a cat. H licence, ots of good information there.

Also, SSAA has the following information as well, remember "Google first" -

https://icpc.ssaaqld.org.au/pistol-lice ... mation.htm

Regards.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by CrackThump » 30 May 2020, 11:14 pm

Aliqua wrote:Evening all,

Just wanting the assistance of the forum re: unlicensed persons accompanying to shoot at the range with me (in this case, my wife).

Told her about today and now she wants to come down and give it a go! Read the rules and found 2 sections - the second I would like some clarification on:

2.9. Unlicensed shooters may only shoot under instruction of a licensed shooter.

This would indicate that she can have a shoot so long as being supervised by me (and cant remove ammo from the line etc...)

6.1. SSAA members may use ranges outside of sub-club booked times under the following conditions:
- 6.1.1. The member must seek permission from the range manager or range office to use the range.
- 6.1.2. If the member is on the range with no other shooters, (alone) they must have a current SSAA Victoria Range Officers accreditation (section 7.8) plus endorsement from their Eagle Park sub-club or by approval of the Range Manager.
- 6.1.3. If a shooter is instructing an unlicensed shooter(s), the licensed shooter must have a current SSAA Victoria Range Officer accreditation (section 7.8) plus endorsement from their Eagle Park sub-club or by approval of the Range Manager.

The bold section is if you are not on the main range, correct?

Thanks in advance!

ANNNYHOO... back onto topic..

I wonder if Vic is anything like Tas....

When I went to SSAA range near Hobart for a visitors shoot, ( I rang the week before and asked if I could come ) they had me sign a license exemption on the day and show some ID, then shoot under instruction of one of the RO's .. That amount of paperwork covered me for THAT days shooting, it was then up to me to send the exemption application of to TasPol before I would be allowed to shoot again.

Since becoming licensed I have taken 2 other newbies to the range under the same conditions.

It actually suprises me that so many people have had so many bad experiences with SSAA people at the ranges. Ive had nothing but good experiences at a club level, maybe I was just lucky to join a hospitable club. :-/

I think most clubs would have to have some form of visitors policy, otherwise, yaknow, there'd never be any new shooters. :P
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by TassieTiger » 31 May 2020, 4:07 am

Was this range at Tolosa - under mountain?
Have you been to Blue Hills?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by CrackThump » 31 May 2020, 9:38 am

TassieTiger wrote:Was this range at Tolosa - under mountain?
Have you been to Blue Hills?

T assie.. Blue Hills mate. ...

whats going on at Tolosa.?
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by TassieTiger » 31 May 2020, 12:55 pm

Tolosa is Apparently under noise complaints - future is being questioned.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by AussieCapitalist » 31 May 2020, 2:31 pm

Im going for my cat H and collectors licence now. Just join the shooters union pistol section and collectors section. Do the safety course then get your 3 shots done from a club as shooters union have no ranges in 6 months from join date then apply for licence. Collector licence is the best. No minimum shoots, no magazine limits and up to 50cal. All you have to do is put a trigger lock on it for storage and its classed as "temporarily inoperable" if it is Cat A,B,C,H.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 31 May 2020, 4:00 pm

Darn is it that no topic can remain on topic on this site.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 31 May 2020, 4:19 pm

AussieCapitalist wrote:Im going for my cat H and collectors licence now. Just join the shooters union pistol section and collectors section. Do the safety course then get your 3 shots done from a club as shooters union have no ranges in 6 months from join date then apply for licence. Collector licence is the best. No minimum shoots, no magazine limits and up to 50cal. All you have to do is put a trigger lock on it for storage and its classed as "temporarily inoperable" if it is Cat A,B,C,H.

Collector licence is no shooting at all, except at collector club events. You can't take a firearm held on a Collector's licence to the range to practice.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AussieCapitalist » 31 May 2020, 4:58 pm

bladeracer wrote:
AussieCapitalist wrote:Im going for my cat H and collectors licence now. Just join the shooters union pistol section and collectors section. Do the safety course then get your 3 shots done from a club as shooters union have no ranges in 6 months from join date then apply for licence. Collector licence is the best. No minimum shoots, no magazine limits and up to 50cal. All you have to do is put a trigger lock on it for storage and its classed as "temporarily inoperable" if it is Cat A,B,C,H.

Collector licence is no shooting at all, except at collector club events. You can't take a firearm held on a Collector's licence to the range to practice.

Correct. But it means one can stack their safe/vault with pump/self loading Cat C shotguns and 50 caliber handguns with 30 round magazines and go to the collector events once or twice a year.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 31 May 2020, 5:20 pm

AussieCapitalist wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Correct. But it means one can stack their safe/vault with pump/self loading Cat C shotguns and 50 caliber handguns with 30 round magazines and go to the collector events once or twice a year.

I prefer to be free to use my firearms whenever I feel like enjoying them though, mine are all CatA/B for that reason. I have little interest in owning any firearm I can't shoot when I want to. It's why I haven't bothered getting back into handguns.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AussieCapitalist » 31 May 2020, 5:57 pm

bladeracer wrote:
I prefer to be free to use my firearms whenever I feel like enjoying them though, mine are all CatA/B for that reason. I have little interest in owning any firearm I can't shoot when I want to. It's why I haven't bothered getting back into handguns.

I know mate. Having a safe full of toys and only being able to use them once or twice a year would suck balls. But that one day of the year will be bloody awesome.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Monty » 05 Jun 2020, 5:44 pm

I've cleaned out a number of argumentative posts here.

A few warnings issued and final strikes for those who have repeatedly made it clear they're not suited to this forum.

Get it back on topic, guys.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by Monty » 05 Jun 2020, 5:45 pm

Stix, a few of your replies have been deleted now as they were mostly regarding off-topic content, however a few answers to parts of posts which are now gone:

...also questioning why moderators...

Use the report functionality if you have a problem. This has been covered extensively - viewtopic.php?f=71&t=11628

...my response literally "vanished" into thin air...

I assume you're implying it was deleted by a moderator? No replies had been deleted at the time of your posting.

I will pass that along to Aster in case there has been a technical hickup.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges